Forum Split

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How do You feel about the editing forum split?

• I hate it, please change it back

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • I dont like it but I can live with it

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I like it but it doesnt matter much to me

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I love it, change it back and DIE

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

Shmitz

ITEA Agent
Oct 19, 2001
Visit site
Great. My two (rather important to my current projects) threads got split between forums. Now I have to check twice as many forums to see if anyone's given me helpful advice :(

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
I pmed clambert with the links to the two threads on this topic. Hopefully in a couple of days they will rectify things.
:)

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
hm.
when the WoD coding board sprang up I did think it might be better to have it higher up the hierarchy, under Technical rather than buried deep down.
Then when Chimeric's coding board launched several people commented on how we were spreading coders thinly.

I think Technical>Coding is a good thing, but only if the guys from both the Chimeric & WoD coding boards come on over & take part.

As for the other new boards, I'm not sure.
I would have said level editing is the 'general' aspect of editing, with 2-D graphics like skins & textures a seperate issue, and music and sound seperate again.
but the ed board has been quiet lately, so I don't think those are necessary at this time. Hopefully, editing will pick up when U2 is released, and then would be a good time to split.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
i don't like it... like people have been saying, the editing community as a whole is so small as it is, this won't help things... besides, mappers can learn from coders, and vice versa... i've been getting interested in coding and scipting and whatnot through the editing forum...

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
It's OK, just that you have to check 4 times more forums to keep up :hmm:
Good thin is that it separates the coding from the mapping questions, so that I know what I can answer and not... :D

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
it would really be great to have the WoD and Chimeric boards in one BuF Uscript forum, but i would think they would want to stay separate. as for separate editing forums, i think it's a really bad idea.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
I see and understand your points, but think about this. The next version of Unreal ED WILL be more complicated. Newbies will burn brain cells trying to figure it out. Although everyone is used to the Editing forum, we must think about new users.

The Editing forum is a bit quiet now, but when Unreal 2 comes out, this place will be one of the sources for information. We should make getting that information as easy as possible.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Originally posted by Prophetus
I see and understand your points, but think about this. The next version of Unreal ED WILL be more complicated. Newbies will burn brain cells trying to figure it out. Although everyone is used to the Editing forum, we must think about new users.

The Editing forum is a bit quiet now, but when Unreal 2 comes out, this place will be one of the sources for information. We should make getting that information as easy as possible.
Proph U2 is a long way away. I think that perhaps we should wait till u2 comes out and then based on the influx of new people decide weather or not to split forums.

Last edited:

Techno JF

He Who Has Powerful Words
I'm the one who voted for "I don't like it but I can live with it." If we split up the Editing forum with these extra forums, then the general forum will become highly underused. While I'm not opposed to the idea, it would take a REALLY long time for it to work out effectively. This is what I see, unless a moderator wants to spend his free time sifting through countless old posts and sorting them between the new forums, which I would never expect.

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
I hate it, please change it back 14 73.68%
I dont like it but I can live with it 2 10.53%
I like it but it doesnt matter much to me 1 5.26%
I love it, change it back and DIE 2 10.53%
Total: 19 votes 100%

Prophetus I see and understand your points, but think about this. The next version of Unreal ED WILL be more complicated. Newbies will burn brain cells trying to figure it out. Although everyone is used to the Editing forum, we must think about new users.

Prophetus pllllz change it back :(.
What code language will U2 use? A new UScript? Are UT mutators compatible with U2?
Legend's Chris Hargrove explained in this thread on Infogrames' U2 forum:

We are still using UnrealScript, although for level designers we also have a simplified "higher level" language (written by Mike Fox) that sits on top of UnrealScript, specifically for AI scripting purposes. As for the mutator issue, that remains to be seen.

Your justification that the ed/ scipting things should be sepertaed just doesnt hold up. Mappers will have to be pepared to code in the future if they wanna make kickass SP levels. By spreading the help thin over several boards you're not helping things much :(.

And like peeps said above the ed comm. is so small already and the number of newbies are dropping steadily (doesnt seem to be the case a forumplanet :hmm: ).

Maybe the move should be made after U2 ships and IF things start to get too complex
WE want the old forums back :(
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
WTF :mad:

When you know unreal editing you know that it's a whole.To make a map you have to know a little bit of everything mapping,coding,texturing maybe sounds.
The only things that could be separate are models and mappings eventually(and of course coding that could get it's own forums too)
ATM the split is innefective and painful for the forumers and nobody knows what editing for unreal 2 will be like (except some happy few like fuzzpilz...) but I don't think it will be that different.
As for all the newbies they won't be helped if they see a "general editing forum" and a "level and textures forums" :con:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Prophetus, a split might be necessary in the future, but now isn't the time. Ed moves very slowly these days, even with NFG's musings on life, BSP and navel lint. ;)
For the past few months, Ed has slowly started to feel a little like a ghost town, and splitting one ghost town into several is only good for the tumbleweed.

Technical>Coding is good, but only if you, O mighty admin ;) , can convince the two hosted coding forums to merge into it -- Community > Chimeric > Unreal Script & Community > Weapons Of Destruction > Ask a Coder )
(I don't know, make RamdoleKang, ca & mr.s-d moderators or something...)

Though that brings me to another point: with more editing boards, how about having some mods from the world of Ed, instead of permutations of the same select few? :D

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
There are actually people who are not interested in map building or texture stuff. It's pretty difficult for them to find posts about coding questions when everything is put together in one place.

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Don't like it. I think the split will make it easier to miss interesting posts and as a consequence I fear there will be less replies.