UT2004 Can't Play Stereo Announcer?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
I'm trying to mod the UT2004 announcer, and it refuses to play back the files I've added. I know there's nothing wrong with my .UAX repack, because it includes some of the original files, and these announcements are audible.

All the files I used were 22050Hz WAV like the original, however I just noticed that the original files are all mono, whereas the new ones are stereo (2-channel). Is this the sticking point? Is there any way to make it play them without downmixing them to mono?

I'm trying to splice in the UC2 announcer by the way, which is why the files have to be 2 channels. Anyone who knows that announcer will know that it's heavily filtered to give it a broad enveloping soundstage. Downmixing it to one channel kills it.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
It makes perfect sense to me since the sound system is intended for spatialized audio. No need to hurt the CPU cache with more mixing functions for multi-channel audio in the world.

Unfortunately it still doesn't deter terrible maps that have to force injected looped mono SPATIALIZED music pushed by servers with no option to turn it off.

Last edited:

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Wait... wut? Yeah it does.

For playback - yes. Resources however have to be mono. Actually when it comes to voiceover for any game, including modern ones, the voiceover is always recorded in mono. Actually if you think logically you don't need stereo there.

Last edited:

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
Seems odd that UC2 would support stereo SFX content, but UT2004 wouldn't.

I wonder if UC2 supported it from the get-go and sound design took advantage, or if someone said "listen to how awesome this announcer sounds if we apply this filter and offset the echo", prompting them to go back and tweak the audio engine.

I'll never forgive them for marooning that game on the Xbox. That particular version of UE2.5 looks quite advanced, and is wasted on all the low res textures etc. I can imagine how beautiful it could have looked. UC2 even seems to have some kind of HDR.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
I'll never forgive them for marooning that game on the Xbox. That particular version of UE2.5 looks quite advanced, and is wasted on all the low res textures etc. I can imagine how beautiful it could have looked. UC2 even seems to have some kind of HDR.

I share the same feeling. I would have loved this game had I been able to play it on PC.