Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well, arenas are necessary if after you kick them, TCA comes and arrests you for good. While in arenas you can let your anger flow without thinking about any consequences to your opponent or yourself. That is, if Respawners work good.

They should have followed UC2 style I think. SP and ladder separated, good for both, plus everything's nicely explained and with humour.

Actually respawners dont always work good, some matches the last kill is a real one a true deathmatch. Theres a moment in UC2 thats rather entertaining when sobek shoots anubis in the arena, there is actually parts where you can die though outside of the arena and you start from the last checkpoint. Tribes V did something similar as well with integrating arena matches into the storyline.

Brock got killed by Gorge for example, Xan got pretty stuffed up by Malcolm and so on so people do die or get really badly wounded in UC/UT.

I pictured more an assault type thing, perhaps like TF2 with the TC maps I think it is where you can push through different ways maybe even a turn based map like RTS games have for conquest type.

Theres nothing wrong with being out numbered though, it woulda been kewl to get swarmed by a krall ambush having a 3:1 ratio and more of an invasion feel to it.

Theres so much Epic coulda done but I really think a war-tourney was a bad move! Onslaught never really fit in with the rest of the tourney anyways, neither did invasion so it makes sense to build up something around that more akin to Unreal but on the battlefront, as you mention XMP which takes Unreal 2 and makes it a warlike MP mode.

Its obvious Epic got DM, CTF down pretty well but for me warfare could have been more or even there could have been modes which play on warfare but arnt exactly the same. We see alittle asymmetry come through already but some of that wont always play well in a PvP scenario, maps like this could be flagged as SP/Coop only and you can only play those during the campaign or when you select invasion/assault type modes.

Something like that anyways I could dribble on about it but I wont :p

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I would call it:

Unreal Tournament III Online Multiplayer Extreme Edition
I would call it Unreal Tournament IV.

Actually respawners dont always work good, some matches the last kill is a real one a true deathmatch. Theres a moment in UC2 thats rather entertaining when sobek shoots anubis in the arena, there is actually parts where you can die though outside of the arena and you start from the last checkpoint. Tribes V did something similar as well with integrating arena matches into the storyline.

Brock got killed by Gorge for example, Xan got pretty stuffed up by Malcolm and so on so people do die or get really badly wounded in UC/UT.

Wait a min, I thought Brock got killed outside the arena. Just like in UT2003 intro, Gorge got a few scars outside the arena, and cracked Malcolm's spine outside it AFAIK.

While talking about gametypes... Would be cool if they added the original XMP in it, that would also fit for SP, as it's a lot more strategic than anything.

I will predict that Unreal Tournament 1 fanatics will say the expansion sucks sucks.
No matter what.

UT2004 players will say the same. Unreal players will say the same. UT3 players might also say the same. U2XMP players will say the same. Expansion players will say it's kewl and that all other games suck.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Gah gah gah...try to be more optimistic...anyway what's wrong about UT3 weapons? It has all weapons UT need(it has redeemer so what's the deal?), not some crappy weapons done by streamline studios guys...I mean that "sticky" grenadelauncher was completelly useless at player on player battles mostly (its usefull on nodes and vehicles only)...at that dm hyperblast map it was really crap...
It has just same number of weapons like original UT had(plus the new deployables)..........I see nothing wrong with that, really............it's the core that matters..I don't feel like having tons of useless **** in my inventory............:lol:

And I'm truly tired of all the "modern" games that have bad weaponry for deathmatch (applies to the most played ones as well), etc and of the most popular styles......
so I can bash that instead.......

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I would call it Unreal Tournament IV.

Wait a min, I thought Brock got killed outside the arena. Just like in UT2003 intro, Gorge got a few scars outside the arena, and cracked Malcolm's spine outside it AFAIK.

I remember in the intro the announcers said that those scars were given to gorge by malcolm in his last match. And I am pretty sure the spine snapping occured inside the arena too. And throughout the sp of UT2004 your teammates get "injured" after a match.

It has never really been explained how people get "injured" and I think its better they keep it that way. Kinda funny in a way.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I remember in the intro the announcers said that those scars were given to gorge by malcolm in his last match. And I am pretty sure the spine snapping occured inside the arena too. And throughout the sp of UT2004 your teammates get "injured" after a match.

It has never really been explained how people get "injured" and I think its better they keep it that way. Kinda funny in a way.

Checked, yeap, it says "last match", but that doesn't necessarily means in the arena - maybe just a bit after it, once respawners were turned off.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
rAt.8^].bAg;2221095 said:
Screw GoW2. They shoulda left Invasion in UT3. :mad:

No and no. The latter would be a yes if there are new models for the old enemies, as the older ones look too primitive for the UE3.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Yes and yes. I couldn't care less about GoW2. The enemies in 2k4 Invasion were indeed clunky and outdated, looking DOOM-like and not fitting well with even 2k4's level of graphics. But my obvious assumption if INV were in UT3 is that the models would be greatly updated.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Checked, yeap, it says "last match", but that doesn't necessarily means in the arena - maybe just a bit after it, once respawners were turned off.

Yups so in war people dont die because they have respawners but in the tourney they die cause the respawners get turned off on purpose. Makes little sense to me anyways, sure teleporters/portals whatever you want to call em coulda been used as an excuse for rapid deployment of troops on the battlefield.

Brock I think died between tournament seasons according to UC2, Gorge was after malcolm sometimes after UT2004 and Brock got in the way. His death lead to lauren killing herself and so on...

I just picture the Krall as a massive horde with elite necris picking their battles much more carefully. Then again the Krall of old had staff weapons, I spose that doesnt mean they couldnt have picked up liandri weapons for the tourney.

I dunno, theres so much there to work with! Must admit though UT3 has a heap of vehicles, thats one of the thing GoW probably doesnt have a heap of, so we could get vehicles in invasion/assault going more. I certainly enjoy the tourney gametypes and what that brings in terms of ladder but more could be done in terms of a campaign of war :cool:

So if in warfare people dont die, whats the point of the necris invasion if they cant necrify people :confused:

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
rAt.8^].bAg;2221121 said:
Yes and yes. I couldn't care less about GoW2. The enemies in 2k4 Invasion were indeed clunky and outdated, looking DOOM-like and not fitting well with even 2k4's level of graphics. But my obvious assumption if INV were in UT3 is that the models would be greatly updated.

If you want monsters in UT3 get that raptor rage mod, it adds them to dm etc, the raptors...........

I dunno if theres any other..........

And NO! DOOM LIKE? HELL BECAUSE THEY ANIMATED THEM BADLY, THEY LOOK ****TY COMPARED TO UNREAL ONES IN ANIMATION TERMS, GAH........

BUT DOOM LIKE? THAT WOULD BE SPRITES! AND ITS NOT SPRITES! OMG!
AND I BET UT3 ENGINE WOULD HANDLE THEM BETTER ANYWAY, THEY COULD JUST INCREASE POLYGONS A BIT AND THAT'S IT....but still invasion is not that great gametype.......it was best at its phase where it was part of bonuspack of ut2003, that was cool, the gametype nothing original (as simmilar mods existed for original Unreal even and the idea could be originally taken from avp since coop there is just like invasion, which would also explain the radar which is really avp like thing) but a bit variation to normal gameplay and refreshing.........
And these monsters come from Unreal and from your words it looks like you despise Unreal, if you do, seriously go make yourself a grave.....

Last edited:

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
If you want monsters in UT3 get that raptor rage mod, it adds them to dm etc, the raptors...........

I dunno if theres any other..........

And NO! DOOM LIKE? HELL BECAUSE THEY ANIMATED THEM BADLY, THEY LOOK ****TY COMPARED TO UNREAL ONES IN ANIMATION TERMS, GAH........

BUT DOOM LIKE? THAT WOULD BE SPRITES! AND ITS NOT SPRITES! OMG!
AND I BET UT3 ENGINE WOULD HANDLE THEM BETTER ANYWAY, THEY COULD JUST INCREASE POLYGONS A BIT AND THAT'S IT....but still invasion is not that great gametype.......it was best at its phase where it was part of bonuspack of ut2003, that was cool, the gametype nothing original (as simmilar mods existed for original Unreal even and the idea could be originally taken from avp since coop there is just like invasion, which would also explain the radar which is really avp like thing) but a bit variation to normal gameplay and refreshing.........
And these monsters come from Unreal and from your words it looks like you despise Unreal, if you do, seriously go make yourself a grave.....

Chill the phuck out, Leo. :violin: Ok, they look sh!tty compared to what they should have been. Is that better? I thought you might have gotten the main point already.

INV is fun for a change of pace, but it's not my fave gametype in UT. However, it would be nice to have it as an alternative in '3. BTW, I like ALL the U's and UT's, so go have yourself a douche and relax. :rolleyes:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
rAt.8^].bAg;2221121 said:

Indeed, that would lead us to updated Skaarj, and that's what we all want! :lol:

I just picture the Krall as a massive horde with elite necris picking their battles much more carefully. Then again the Krall of old had staff weapons, I spose that doesnt mean they couldnt have picked up liandri weapons for the tourney.
Well, Krall in UT3 aren't Krall from U1 - they're undead or something. That's like saying that a Bone Dragon is the same as Black Dragon in Heroes of Might And Magic series...

Yeap, DooM's enemies are sprites, but actually Dots ported them over to UT2004 already so you could just compare them ;)

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well my point is UT3 should lend itself to much larger scale "hordes" then GoW2 could handle (then again I havent played it but I did see flockin demo'd so who knows), adding vehicles into the mix ontop of that. So it wouldnt be the same, its not like it would be only 4 people or something on the other team either.

Im guessing with engine upgrades UT3 could support a horde of say 32 vs 8, peharps even upwards of 50 vs 16. Leaves plenty of room for 32vs32 PvP in that scenario as well :p

The 2k4 monsters were actually the Unreal 1 monsters directly wernt they? No skeletal anims, lower poly counts and the AI is all different from botAI. It would seem Epic has updated some of that, I know Id like to see krall act more like the krall would in an invasion scenario instead of just another faceless demoguy :)

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Yups so in war people dont die because they have respawners but in the tourney they die cause the respawners get turned off on purpose. Makes little sense to me anyways, sure teleporters/portals whatever you want to call em coulda been used as an excuse for rapid deployment of troops on the battlefield.

I dunno, theres so much there to work with! Must admit though UT3 has a heap of vehicles, thats one of the thing GoW probably doesnt have a heap of, so we could get vehicles in invasion/assault going more. I certainly enjoy the tourney gametypes and what that brings in terms of ladder but more could be done in terms of a campaign of war :cool:

So if in warfare people dont die, whats the point of the necris invasion if they cant necrify people :confused:

Just another one of Epic's brilliant design decisions:rolleyes:

Meh I imagined the Skaarj making a grand entrance whiping the Snot out of the Necris, Skaarj attacking at full force fully mobilized.

Epics grand idea of the Skaarj a handful of UT2004 Skaarj, a handful of Unreal2 Skaarj geez I wonder why people are dissapointed...

Altroughout Unreal1 the Krall always appeared to be fairly intelligent while in UT3 they appeares to have been lobotomized by a sledgehammer...

GOW has that APC, a Helicopter the Centaur a wheeled tank that shares alot of similarities with the U2XMP wheeled tank the Juggernaut all they had to do was strap Cole on the front with a Flamethrower to close the deal...

Necris appears to like Necroforming entire planets similar to Terraforming...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.