Is it possible to make "speed zones"?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nimbostratus

Aug 12, 2004
New Jersey, USA
I'm planning on making a map for UT99 involving rooms where players can move faster in all directions. Is this possible, or should I just abandon this idea?

If it is possible to make "speed zones," please explain it.

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
It's the most possible thing I answered lately, it's very, very EZ. Zone off the sones and add zone info's. Now the thing is every zone has a ground fiction set to 8. When you change it to 0 it will mean the player can't stop moving yet still controls the direction (very fun in a ice level). -1,2,3,5 or whatever number will make the player go faster, but still can't stop. Everything between 8 and 0 will make the player not stop immidiatly.

ZoneInfoProperties>ZoneInfo>grounfriction.

Last edited:

XepptizZ

May 17, 2004
In solitude
Ntwarr said:
youmay want to place it in the middle then at the place you want to stop put a normal zone

That's A pretty good selution, but make the friction in the "stoppingZone" something between 0 and 8 so you'll smm smoothly slide out of the momentum. It's just an idea offcourse.

Snoitpo

Dec 2, 2004
You think it might work to change the zone's terminal velocity?

I've been working on something with a simmilar aspect. I want to get players moving fast, but in the air. I wanted to create a water zone that does no damage. I tryed everything I couild think of so far. I've even coppied the nitrogen zone from CM-Pryramid, but it always endded up jsut the same.

level loads, player spawns(limited movement), get killed

respawn(free range movement, just like i want), begins to run out of air, die

------
you might have to change the ground friction for that too.

Last edited:

XepptizZ

May 17, 2004
In solitude
Ahem, because it's a waterzone you'll need to change the waterfriction or something simulair to that name. Terminal velocity only determines the max. falling speed.

Snoitpo

Dec 2, 2004
yeah, that doesn't help much either, they still dont change elevation

i think i might have figured it out, they might have to start outside the water zone

doesn't matter, my map was deleted when i tryed to add in a modified scuba gear system that doesn't run out

i cant seem to make custom actors of any sort other than brushes, navigation points, and flag bases

XepptizZ

May 17, 2004
In solitude
Snoitpo said:
yeah, that doesn't help much either, they still dont change elevation

i think i might have figured it out, they might have to start outside the water zone

doesn't matter, my map was deleted when i tryed to add in a modified scuba gear system that doesn't run out

i cant seem to make custom actors of any sort other than brushes, navigation points, and flag bases

You actually can, but it depends on how you modify the actors. Changes in the basic properties should always be good, except for weapons and ammo, some features are just hardcoded with those items.

So in the scubaprops it should be possible to make them last very long. I don't understand how UT could delete a map and neither do I know what you mean with elevation.

And I don't think it's possible to make custom nav, points or flagbases, you'd have to add a new script for that (a script is something wich actually creates the new actor).

Anyways, the idea is very ambitious and interesting, but I wouldn't really ask around here at NC, cuz Unrealplayground has much more active and helping mappers, me included. I mean I haven't visited NC for a long while now and still in this subforum there are about 11 new posts. At UP it's so busy that it resembles chating.

But if you like to debate, talk about war, politics and such you should stay here and check out the "other srtuff" subforum.

Last edited:

Snoitpo

Dec 2, 2004
acctually, i was trying to make a new scubagear

elevation (z axis)

they wern't a big help either

the custom nav points thing is very possible, i've heard of them being used for specilized pathing or movers and pawns

XepptizZ

May 17, 2004
In solitude
Those are just different types of nav.points. When makin anew one it means you create a script wich will be compiled into a new .u document wich you can open in the editor and then finally use.

MoverNavpoints are:Lift exit, -center.
Pawnpaths are:patrolPoints
And most of the remaining in the list is for bots.

And I just remembered that new nav.points can be made. To force a bot to make a dog for instance.

And I still don't get the scuba elevation, What did you want to do with it and how did you try it? Give the specific changes in the properties when possible.

Snoitpo

Dec 2, 2004
well i just tryed to change the part where it takes away from the charge, i made it so that it never runs out

in theory it should work but my problem is that even though i've read 7 different tutorials from around the internet, i can seem to compile any sort of actor at all

i've been trying to make smooth flight in unreal tournament possible for the palyer actors, and modify the flak cannon into something much more accurate

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
well if you lower friction you can still stop,but make the fluid friction a negative number,lower the gravity slightly,and the ground friction slightly,try that.

I believe you can set the zone for not effecting the projectiles and only the pawns.

Nimbostratus

Aug 12, 2004
New Jersey, USA
it treid messing with the friction settings, but those only affect walking speed when set to negative values (raising them slows you down in all types of movement). its nice to be able to "walk" at lightspeed, but running speed stays the same. and I don't think bots would react differently if only walk speed was changed.

Nimbostratus

Aug 12, 2004
New Jersey, USA
ReD_Fist said:
"FLUIDFRICTION" try like -.25 see how that works.

I tried messing with negative values for fluid friction, but that seemed to have no effect whatsoever above ground. Not even when set to a crazy amount like -50. (though in water you can sure swim like a bat out of hell)