Unreal PSX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
You really have your connections as it seems, Leo. ;)

Anything with jungle or woods inside? I am always interested in that stuff

There is Swamps texture pack apparently. It is low res though, it is called swamppsx and all the files with psx have the stripped down textures. Too bad there is no normal res version of them.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
I just found that the swamp textures are in fact just the castle1 ones. But I would swear I saw some new texture which looked like from wot on some rock.
Thats indeed.. rather strange, I mean how can you use them to make a swamp? But ok, I was also surprised at that time to see Aztec with this bark and wood textures which were actually only rock textures.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I played through the Into the vortex map by Eric Reuter, it is unfinished, has no ending and the map can get stuck at one point too, but is karge enough and was frustrating to get the layout right and find some switches or levers. I had to load the next map (two maps ahead from that one), which is by Eric Reuter as well. That one is VERY simillar to the map that cardiologist made for skaarj tower fall of sethe, the one after you are trapped in that cage and you go through these canyons with these mercenary towers, exactly same thing is here. Also this one had no end teleporter too, really unfinished, wished I had any of the later versions of these maps.

Diehard

Thats indeed.. rather strange, I mean how can you use them to make a swamp? But ok, I was also surprised at that time to see Aztec with this bark and wood textures which were actually only rock textures.

Its not that strange. Lots of textures can look either way. I took alot of photos from concrete, and they look really like concrete. But adding the proper highlights and shadows to it, they easelly look like metal. And in Unreal and UT mainly metal and concrete often are switched.

The one texture is used as a base for another texture which is obviously metal, and on another occasion the same base texture is used to make an obvious concrete texture from. And textures can also be used directly. And yeah, some rock faces do resemble bark, and vice versa.

But its interesting that castle1 is used, as that package isnt used in any map. That makes me wonder if castle1 may have been created specifically for PSX.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Its not that strange. Lots of textures can look either way. I took alot of photos from concrete, and they look really like concrete. But adding the proper highlights and shadows to it, they easelly look like metal. And in Unreal and UT mainly metal and concrete often are switched.

The one texture is used as a base for another texture which is obviously metal, and on another occasion the same base texture is used to make an obvious concrete texture from. And textures can also be used directly. And yeah, some rock faces do resemble bark, and vice versa.

But its interesting that castle1 is used, as that package isnt used in any map. That makes me wonder if castle1 may have been created specifically for PSX.

No, castle1 was from unreal alpha or somehting like that. There is also cryptpsx.utx which is basically the beta crypt(or crypt2 in UT) and there is also crypt2psx.utx which is all new package and has different looking textures! I suppose both come from beta versions though. There are some brand new textures for the psx though on the other side. But they are not that often.

EDIT:
[SCREENSHOT]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9411/andersonmap.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

A map by John Anderson. I didn't know he worked on unreal psx.

I will never ever associate Utemple with temple of vandora since I played this map. I recognize one part of the map though and that is from some Unreal promo pics, that means this map is originally from Unreal, but modified for unreal psx. Nice! Except the map is mostly devoid of enemies and has no ending as well.
It has flies, few weapons and skaarjinfantry and that's it.

Other level designers revealed: Jakub Kisiel (from People Can Fly obviously, or maybe someone with same name?), Terry Greer

Screenshots from the Kisiel's level, it is completelly devoid of enemies and unfinished though:
[SCREENSHOT]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6615/jklevel3.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5286/jklevel2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://www.unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/UPSXbonus/jklevel2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4595/jklevel1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/878/jklevel0.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Ok, this means there was no swamp level at all? Only the texturepackage which is actually only castle1?

That doesn't mean anything, I didn't cover all the maps. The beginning maps are swamp like themes actually and there might be actual use of that package later on.
Besides as I said there are maps missing and only earlier versions of the maps are in, from the other designers other than Elya. Guess he didn't need the updated stuff at all, or didn't have it later, or lost it and this is the stuff that got left.

EDIT: Wow, neat find. Elya released one of his PSX levels for UT long ago, check DM-CampersParadise for UT. He released it as Elya "Iceking"

EDIT2: There are two versions of E2L2B, one is by unknown author and has quadshot (is from may 1999, so the earlier version than this one must have had working quadshot), probably that people can fly guy again and another version is by Jeff Rubin (more recent version of the map, also looking much better).

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I found out there are Matthew Kagle's levels too. But wow they are lot different. First off the messages are all different, he changed the story etc apparently in the reworked versions. And they use the psx texture packages. But that's not where it ends....
There is a better laser in E2L6A, which opens up when generator is activated and it is on a platorm with stairs and I guess it rotates after it is activated.

Not only that, but the generator room is different as well, it has lift in it and the jumping is easier, oh and also a moody black fog stuff.

I didn't play it too far though, so I can't tell more differences, but I am really impressed. Oh and the chunks have textures as well, they don't have the deafult texture like in the reworked versions (although I fixed it at my modified versions of these for coop and MH you know).

EDIT: Played the, but E2L7B crashed....damn even editor can't open it for some reason....I hate all these versions incompatibility....
I so wanted to see the map with the original psx textures and messages....

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Was the ImplantGun supposed to mindcontrol enemies or something like that?

It was supposed to posses enemies, so you can play as them. eVOLVE explained it here long ago already.

Btw I checked all the maps, the maps of Jason Watkins are not even there though. So the JRath fight is not there as well.

EDIT: Screens from Nathan Silver's map, right before you enter Vortex Rikers.
[SCREENSHOT]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9/shot0014ns.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6766/shot0013ns.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3215/shot0012ns.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4167/shot0011ns.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
For those who are interested here is a complete list of the level designers who worked on the project:

Eric C. Reuter (like four levels in this beta, unfinished except for the DM level (which rocks btw))
John W.Anderson (might be possible he only gave permission to reuse his old Unreal maps though)
Nathan "natestah" Silvers (only one level from him in this pack, separated into three parts and also part A of NaliVillage2, so four map files here)
Ilya "Elya Iceking" Isaykin (basically the most levels in this pack is from him, since he sent the stuff)
Matthew Kagle (his reworked levels you are already familliar with)
James "eVOLVE" Hamer-Morton (only one level, the final level with queen fight is here from him)
Jeff Rubin (only one map and only one "part" of the map)
Jakub Kisiel (three maps I believe, heavily unfinished, two of them have no enemies and require you to cheat to get into other parts of level) - edit: one of the maps is by Jason actually
Terry Greer (first set of levels in third episode, also he is responsible for skyboxes and other templates)
Jason Watkins (none of his maps are here) - edit: one map is from him after all (maybe)
Someone else (maybe, who knows who else worked on this game)

coders: Nick Pelling, someone with abbreviated nickname BAN (dunno who it is), Sean Bonney (electric lamp, unused though and working only with pre 220 it seems), Boris Batkin (responsible for some uscript compiler for PSX hardware), Marc Singer (some PSX hardware responsible stuff, didn't actually get to work much on the project I think)

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I really wonder if it's possible to complete the ImplantGun, meaning how the possession worked. Replacing the scripted actors with a playable one instantly? Or Scripted Pawns having a script which makes them playable?
It's strange that it cannot be really done. PSX Unreal was really interesting, much more than RTNP if you ask me.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I really wonder if it's possible to complete the ImplantGun, meaning how the possession worked. Replacing the scripted actors with a playable one instantly? Or Scripted Pawns having a script which makes them playable?
It's strange that it cannot be really done. PSX Unreal was really interesting, much more than RTNP if you ask me.

There were special monsters for it, besides there were modifications to unreali, unrealshare and engine(not much in the 220 versiom but in the pre 220 it apparently was there even with working quadshot and on later versions (the latest version eVOLVE had was 221 one), so it is possible to be done, but outside of Unreal PSX? Not sure. Cannedpawn was it called....but only krall exists of that, the others are missing/unfinished.

There is the proxycontroller actor in engine.u as well.
Also the current implantgun that is there is more like placeholder, it was not supposed to have automag mesh.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I have received some additional files right now. It seems even later version of the PSX system folder is in one of the archives, there is a lot, a whole developement stuff and stuff I have no idea about, also there are archives saying working_implant etc, I guess in that one the implantgun is fully implemented. This is not bad at all. But I will have to check it later really....

EDIT: Disregard that, this is mainly the same stuff , I dunno why are the archives named as if they have the updates when the files in it are still same versions. But there is some tool that I've never seen some level viewer for the developers.

Oh and it seems Jason Watkins did one level after all, only it was uncredited and I thought it was Kisiel still.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.