Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
For Diehard

Hey Diehard, I was hoping that now that we have some 7 odd pages of material discussing the trials, tribulations, and suggestions using the S3TC textures you created, that you gather up all of the corrected information and edit your original first post showing it. That way people won't get confused by info that worked for one person compared to info that didn't for another. It would look something like this:

This is the first post of this thread but information was last updated on this original post on 08-12-08 to reflect change control corrections discovered since this original post date back on 02-03-04. Here is the link to the final full version release of files. Paste link here.
Here is the final releas to the medium quality for lesser video cards here: Insert link here. Here is the final and best instruction set to use these textures properly: Insert instuction set here.

See what I mean? I think it will promote people trying it rather than getting too confused after reading 6 pages of opinions and theory. This is just a suggestion. Thanks again for all of the hard work to date. I still haven't tried this but I didn't want to have to reread the entire thread and keeps notes as to what was the right way to try it. CYA!

Diehard

I still haven't tried this but I didn't want to have to reread the entire thread and keeps notes

You could always install a secondary UT and have a go with that one :)

As for your other remarks, i have been too buzy last weeks to be able to attend your post, and i will do so shortly (in a couple a days). I went through my innitial post real fast but theres not too much that needs to be changed, if any than the skating player glitch which can be read back in this article S3TC Servers Packages

Ill see if i can alter the innitial post and add a changelist on top of the post(i am a strong believer not to mess with older posts for historical and timeline puposes) where i can add a short better overview.

Ill post here (on the bottom ;) ) after i redid the first page in a couple a days(week at the most).

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Awesome

I installed UT. I then grabed the files from Diehard and installed them. I moved the 6 files he mentioned to recopy back in from CD1 to another folder for a moment. I ran the S3TC patch in the texture folder. I moved those 6 files back into the texture folder and started the game. It works and looks great. I too have the big X running through the Phbos moon but that is the only thing I see wrong. All eles is great. No skating bots at all. When the Phobos moon X gets fixed, I will write up a perfect easy to do install and post it here for Diehard's review. Actually I'll just send it to him for review and let him post it. Great work peeps. I think if there can be about 10 more textures converted to S3TC that haven't been yet, UT can be made to look really great on 85% of maps. Were any of the high res textures wood? I see in maps where the rock is very detailed to the point it looks like the wood on doors and floors and walls is blurry almost dueto lack of detail in the texture. A major difference is the grass in DM-Ariza][. Look at it in normal D3D and then in OpenGL with the S3TC in use and you will see the huge difference. CYA!

Lynxx

Jul 2, 2000
Visit site
Just saying, Hermskii, that the tiling problem with Phobos' moon was solved. I thought the fix was in the XbpFX.utx file that Diehard had made available separately, initially having its own link at the bottom of the hi-end page. (I didn't check the low-end page.) Of course I could be wholly mistaken about the fix file name.

Or, the earlier file version slipped into the downloads files somehow. :eek: :)

Diehard

Cool you liked it :)

And yeah, DigitalPixie is correct, the Phobos misalignment should be fixed and no cross should be visible anymore. Epic did build in a failsafe for misalignment to prevent such a thing from happening, and innitially i left out the failsafe cause i didnt see what the use would be lol. And to make the failsafe work you have to misalign the textures, which is what Epic did, kinda weird alright. No clue what they were thinking there.

But if you newly downloaded the packages, and i asume you downloaded the High End version than it should be fixed ??? And the file is NOT present in the Masterfiles, since the package is used at your own risk due to an procedural texture error(the XbpFX.utx package that is).

As for missing textures, normally i work on packages and not so much individual textures that show up in certain maps, which can lead to a mix of low and high resolution textures. And yeah, i made lots of wood, as well as grass, concrete, bricks etc. But scattered all over the packages (though mainly SkyCity, NaliCast and Mine if correct).

The skating player fix however should be fixed Serversided and not Clientsided which can be read in this article: S3TC server packages for Unreal Tournament

Which means the installation for UT should be pretty simple and straight forward on the client side, which already is explained in this article: S3TC Installation Guide

ps, all articles and pictures on the site are allowed to be re-used on other sites or forums :) As a matter a fact anything from the site is allowed to be used, except the site specific things like buttons and other site design stuff.

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Sweet

Yes, that updated file did the trick. The big X in the moon of DM-Phobos is gone. The web site the file was on is good too though I think the instruction page is not complete and needs more links like the one to the S3TC fix itself. I wish I knew how to do what Diehard was doing. I would totally help. CYA!

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Count

I just noticed that the total number of textures that come on UT CD #2 is 74. I also just counted the amount of textures that you have reworked so far and came up with a total of 30. So what I'm wondering is shouldn't a person who wants to use these textures first install UT CD #1 and then UT CD #2 and then start adding your 30 files over the ones that you have reworked already? Otherwise, I would think that using this product as offered, it would only use 30 S3TC textures instead of the actual 74 that came on the UT CD #2. That would mean that 44 textures that have been reworked already by EPIC would not be used if we just used the ones you offer so far Diehard.

I hope I said that right and I hope even more this wasn't already discussed and I just missed it. Let us know please and also please contact me soon. I have a easy/special request in regards to your downloads. Thanks Diehard.

Diehard

I asume you are talking about packages rather than textures, cause there is alot more textures than 74 (or 30 for that matter).

But the answer is plain and simple, the packages that are sitting on the 2nd CD are not all S3TC packages. I checked every package carefully and all S3TC textures and packages are accounted for. For instance the Queen package is on the 2nd CD but contains zero (read 0) S3TC textures.

If you say the difference is 44 than theres 44 packages on the 2nd CD that contain zero S3TC.

The only textures that are usefull are:

chaostex.utx
chaostex2.utx
JezzTex.utx
Jezztex2.utx
SnowDog.utx

Because they are not present on the 1st CD, but they are added to the instuctions, and i forgot that, but should also be added to the S3TC MasterFiles.

But as said the 44 - 5 is 39 packages that are left are useless as far as S3TC. And its disadviced to install those, cause at best they could trigger the skating player glitch and add worse they dont add anything at all.

So stick with the 1st CD textures and the UTRP textures.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Got it.

Got it Diehard. Thanks. Why did they put these other textures on CD 2 if they aren't S3TC? Seems dumb to me and they are larger than the original texture they are supposed to replace from CD 1 right?

I recently released a set of instructions that has everything except that file for the fix on the moon issue with it. I did a clean install of UT. Then I added the 436 patch and Bonus Packs 1, 3 and 4. Then I added all the textures from UT CD #2. Then I added yours. Then Imoved out the 6 skin files and installed and ran the S3TC texture fix. I then moved the 6 skin files back into the texture folder. Then I downloaded and installed the OpenGL renderer and started the game to configure the driver. Finished that and connect on line to several servers to enjoy my non skating bot game play and killer graphics. My point is that if people install these textures properly, they will never get a skating player or bot unless they connect to a server where it has the UT CD#2 textures installed. As you and I both know, that should NEVER happen being you should never install the 2nd CD files on to a server installation. CYA!

Diehard

Got it Diehard. Thanks. Why did they put these other textures on CD 2 if they aren't S3TC? Seems dumb to me and they are larger than the original texture they are supposed to replace from CD 1 right?

No idea why they did it, and yeah the filesizes are slighly different from the 1st CD packages, so something was done to the packages, and i never checked, but maybe they simply added the Index colored textures as 24 bit textures without any change of the textures themselves. That could explain why the packages are larger, and theoretically you could name them S3TC :rolleyes: . But effectivelly they dont contain anything new or improoved textures, just they were converted to 24 bit..........

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Progress

Hey Diehard, I know that you have many projects running right now but I am still curious about what you have planned next for S3TC type projects. Any ideas?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
How about redoing player skins and/or weapons ? If someone figures out UV mapping, it shouldn't be too difficult to do and the textures can easily be swapped around on actors.

Diehard

Hey Diehard, I know that you have many projects running right now but I am still curious about what you have planned next for S3TC type projects. Any ideas?

As it is i am working on the DecayedS package, and also made a small update in the Mine package. The DecayedS goes awfully slow because i am still unsatisfied with some very important base textures. And since they are base textures, if i start using them to create the actual textures, i am committed to use them. And the way some base textures are, i cannot go further. But my goal is; kinda to finish the entire package, which is hard to begin with. I have to make everything from scratch and its oné of the largest packages there are, second largest to be exact(after SkyCity).

You can more or less follow the progresion in this post:

http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1219857373

The SGC project is still sitting in the fridge for this moment till i have DecayedS done, but after DecayedS i might go back to that project, though i am also still thinking if i should enter the MSU......

How about redoing player skins and/or weapons ? If someone figures out UV mapping, it shouldn't be too difficult to do and the textures can easily be swapped around on actors.

I have done a testmodel a year and a half ago and those are super difficult to create, and i keep forgeting to ask someone that might be capable of doing those. Its always on my mind but much more difficult than "plain" textures. At least for me, its a whole other world.

Last edited:

Diehard

Yeppers :D

And that texture (i should say textures, theres 2 of them) is pretty much the holy grail for Unreal, it can be found in almost any map ever made and is what Unreal is, without those crates Unreal wouldnt be Unreal. And as it is i am very happy with the result, they only need a bit of color tweaking and off course i need to make the second model as well, but thats not to hard too accomplish.

The crate is actually a completelly rusted metal crate with fallen off rusted chips. And for that i needed to make some kind of layered rusted crate with rusted chips on it. And yesterday i realised i had at least oné base(the chips) of the texture already which could be used and it worked out as i wanted. Than i needed a second base texture and tried several stuff, till i finally got oné i liked, adding a bit of shadow did the trick

The crate doesnt really apply to UT, since UT has a secondary set of crates, but anyone playing OldSchool might appreciate them as well :)

Edit, here is the crate involved:

It good Unreal is an alternate world, because in reallity i disadvise to go stand on such a crate, its totally rotten away lol. Heck, leaning against it migh end up you lying in the crate :D

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
What about the wooden crate? It's also on basically all of the levels :) However, that might be hard to make to S3TC as AFAIK it's built-in to UnrealShare.

Diehard

What about the wooden crate? It's also on basically all of the levels However, that might be hard to make to S3TC as AFAIK it's built-in to UnrealShare.

Are you sure, your are not talking about this crate, because i know the community is pretty much devided in half, the oné group thinks those crates are rusted metal while the other group thinks they are wooden crates. In reality the crates are rusted metal and never were wood, that part me me was always clear !

But if its only sitting in the UnrealShare than i cant touch it unfortunatelly, the Mergertool i have only allows to process utx packages. But can you give a packagename, groupname and texture name ?

Here are btw, the 2 different versions:

MMCRATE2

MMCRATE3

The main difference between them is that MMCRATE3 is more chipped off than MMCRATE2

One other downside to mergertool is, it cannot handle procedural textures, and the crate also surfaces in oné of the packages with a wet spot on it, that one will remain low resolution unfortunatelly :( At least till someone will redo the mergertool for me.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I have done a testmodel a year and a half ago and those are super difficult to create, and i keep forgeting to ask someone that might be capable of doing those. Its always on my mind but much more difficult than "plain" textures. At least for me, its a whole other world.

Nice to hear you actually tried.
:D

Seriously, did you try to do it with uv mapping or by hand ? Because UV mapping can be used to adapt a texture to a player mesh or any 3d object. If I understand things correctly, that means a texture can actually be "stretched" around to fit properly so it could be extremely difficult to get a texture just right. There's a tutorial on a 3d site somewhere that explains how the mapping is done with a UT1 weapon in 3d studio max.

Last edited:

Diehard

I did my attempt by hand, though i am aware of UV mapping, but never had the time to make myself familiar with it. But needs to be said, the problem i had with the texture was lack of base materials. Still its very difficult to create them without UV mapping. Probably the main thing is lack of time, because i can make much more(and easyer) plain textures in the same timeframe. Never the less it would be a cool thing to have the skins done, after all, they surface in 100% of the maps :rolleyes:

I should make a bit more effort to either do them myself and/or ask someone i know to do them for me. If i make them, than the Unreal skins will be done first, my heart is still much more with Unreal than UT, and that probably will never change :). But any texture done for Unreal automatically means they apply for UT as well, since UT uses all textures made for Unreal to begin with. So its never a loss if i work for Unreal "alone".