XMP is coming to UT2004! - Free Monkey Interactive Announces UT XMP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
Zetto said:
I hate to break the party but r u guys sure that Atari won't sue u over copyright infringement? I remember long threads debating this very issue of user-made port of XMP to UT2k4 and there were valid arguments to support Atari's legal rights to XMP content.

:D

More fuel for discussion on this thread ;)
The XMP name isn't a trademark, plus we have permission from Mark Rein to use the XMP theme to create this project. Of course, we'll be using 100% of our own assets, since using models, textures, etc. from U2XMP would be illegal.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Yeah seriously. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on this guys. There's a whole bunch of things to consider besides just "will this be cool?" What kind of affect will this have on the community? What do epic and atari think about this? It's a complex issue and if you just jump into it it's going to be the same problems all over again. I know because I've seen it many times before. Whenever the unreal comunity just jumps into it like this (ut2003, unreal2, xmp, unrealexpo, etc) it blows up in our face.

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
This is like the best news for xmp in days,weeks,months and still so many so sceptical,vash drink more beers instead of quitting.

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
I just hope that when they do this, the keep the classes, vehicle types, weapons, and so on the same. The way i look at it and hope to get, that it should just have better graffix and better handling vehicles. Any altering to the way the games plays wouldnt be XMP in my book.

I hope it comes out all right and i wish them luck.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
TWD said:
Yeah seriously. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on this guys. There's a whole bunch of things to consider besides just "will this be cool?" What kind of affect will this have on the community? What do epic and atari think about this? It's a complex issue and if you just jump into it it's going to be the same problems all over again. I know because I've seen it many times before. Whenever the unreal comunity just jumps into it like this (ut2003, unreal2, xmp, unrealexpo, etc) it blows up in our face.

you worry too much.

why are you in the XMP forum anyways? you don't even own XMP.

Leave these guys alone for crying out loud....

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
2k4 vehicles suck,keep the raptor and juggernaut,make the harbinger more useful and maybe adding a bike like they planned,maybe this gunship would be cool too,one driver,the ship hovering above the ground,and 4 turrets on the sides,so that would be a 5 person vehicle.

Pro-Pain

¹²M UTXMP Captain
Feb 15, 2004
Wow, then the money I spend on buying Ut2k4 isn't the worst investment in my life anymore.

Lise

Being a girl makes you kick more arse.
Mar 16, 2004
Praise the lord and pass the free monkeys.

I assume info on how to convert current U2XMP to UTXMP will be forthcoming?

mrpirate

WTFLOL
Jan 21, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Any chance we'll see this with 2k4 vehicles?

Ew. Please, no! Barf. Oh my god. Unreal Tournament 2004 vehicles suck. The vehicles make XMP the game it is. The gut-blow, the Harbringer's horn (don't pretend you don't love it), the dice; it's more than just a set of vehicles, it's a state of mind.

Lise

Being a girl makes you kick more arse.
Mar 16, 2004
Also, anyone notice how that new Ranger silhouette seems to have boobies? ;)

mrpirate

WTFLOL
Jan 21, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Exactly. XMP was made as a free add-on, and its creation was purely for the players' enjoyment. I think it's important not to lose sight of that in converting it to UT2004; it's not just the core gameplay, but also the little extras that make it fun. I realize that there are copyright laws in effect here, but please don't deviate too far from the original...

Status
Not open for further replies.