Unreal Tournament III Wishlist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I was playing a few custom maps on UT3 today, and I noticed that the big difference between the standard and custom maps is that the custom ones are more open, similar to UT2004, which I personally find to be more fun.

I'd played UT2004 from when it came out to when UT3 came out, and UT2004 is just more fun. Don't get me wrong, I like UT3, but it just feels as though there aren't enough good maps, or even variation of maps. The maps are all more or less the same in style - Tight corridors ect.

Some more gametypes like assault and invasion - both of which I played frequently would also be a welcome addition to UT3.

To me, maps play a large part in whether a game is fun or not, and the maps in UT3 are just boring really.

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
Some of the reason for the smaller maps are:

- The UT3 player doesn't leap 20 feet up like the (unrealistic) UT2004 so scale is closer to real. Play other FPSs instead of UT2004 and you will see that UT3 is closer to the norm/accepted style now.
- The higher detail poly count results in maps that have to be smaller in size or lower systems will choke. The level of PCs during Epic's map development would have been one to two years old already. As higher PCs get common, we should see larger maps.
- The development time on maps is now considerably higher, so creating a fully dressed-out massive map is a massive task that takes a massive amount of time.

The variety of maps is also less because the content styles are more targetted in UT3, as is the game story. UT2004 had a wide variety of design styles from tech to rust to egyptian, etc.
Part of this is the 2x to 5x longer time frame to develop next-gen content.

With MSUC and OSUC we are seeing a lot of good quality community maps that are in styles that differ from the stock UT3 look.

Vlad

The Dude
Oct 19, 2000
DC
www.pc-gamers.net
I only have two wishes!
1. Emplement the ClearConfig function, which affects the PerObjectConfig model, to assist MapMixer and other mutators.
2. Fix the Hardware OpenAL crash when using X-Fi based cards configured with the 64mb XRAM. (Yes, I know of the Blacksite Area 51 hack to prevent the crashes, but this hack diminishes the sound quality).

Mangopork

Jul 28, 2008
Larger player models so I'm not shooting at tiny people all day.

Bring back every unreal weapon and vehicle and character ever created. I don't care if they still use the same models and textures. Just do it. If you have to slap some speculars and normal maps on it to justify it, then do it.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I wish there were some Gears of War maps for Unreal Tournament III I could play.

Gears of War is no longer our enemy, it's our ally. Let's see what some Gears of War resources can do for Unreal Tournament III.

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
I want less blur, less bloom, clearer graphics that distinguish themselves from GoW. :)