For Those Interested in a Freelancer Sequel

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I have just emailed and called up Microsoft out of curiosity about this and according to a representative, they've done crap all with the rights to it ever since the second game was canceled. He said he would "escalate" my problem and I should expect an email about this. I doubt that all this will really get anywhere but I might as well try anyway. I mean, there really is no reason why they shouldn't do something with the rights. Sell them, develop them, or whatever. Just do something with them.

Anyway, just FYI.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
actually the question is; does Freelancer really need a sequel?

Exactly. It's not their duty to make a sequel for you, obviously they thought it wasn't worth it. Selling it is no good either because whatever company might as well just make a new franchise and be better off.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Exactly. It's not their duty to make a sequel for you, obviously they thought it wasn't worth it. Selling it is no good either because whatever company might as well just make a new franchise and be better off.
No, I know of some modders in the freelancer community that would be more than happy to make the game themselves. I don't care what microsoft does with it. Just do something besides trashing it of course or letting it sit. It was a really great game and it could be further expanded into something better.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Do you know how silly this sounds? There are no less than a dozen game series that I would like to see another entry in. Soul Reaver, Descent, Freespace... to name three that could really use something :p

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
No, I know of some modders in the freelancer community that would be more than happy to make the game themselves. I don't care what microsoft does with it. Just do something besides trashing it of course or letting it sit. It was a really great game and it could be further expanded into something better.

What? There are plenty of mods for freelancer, and anyone is free to mod it. A freelancer mod would definitely not change enough to be able to count as a sequel though, and I highly doubt the freelancer modding community would be able to pull it off with full resources.

If modders just made a game from scratch with UDK or something then it may as well be a new franchise, then they would be able to unleash all their creative potential.

There are no less than a dozen game series that I would like to see another entry in. Soul Reaver, Descent, Freespace... to name three that could really use something :p

Damn, how many IPs do you want sequels for, 20? What others IPs are on your list out of curiosity?

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
If modders just made a game from scratch with UDK or something then it may as well be a new franchise, then they would be able to unleash all their creative potential.
If they had access to the source code, it would be a lot easier to make instead of just creating a whole new game from scratch.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
If they had access to the source code, it would be a lot easier to make instead of just creating a whole new game from scratch.

Eh, I doubt it, unless they just reused in game assets and stuff, then it just might as well be a mod. Also they would be using outdated tech which might make it harder to make stuff and if they are using outdated tech it might as well just be a mod for that reason too. :lol:

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I have just emailed and called up Microsoft out of curiosity about this and according to a representative, they've done crap all with the rights to it ever since the second game was canceled. He said he would "escalate" my problem and I should expect an email about this. I doubt that all this will really get anywhere but I might as well try anyway. I mean, there really is no reason why they shouldn't do something with the rights. Sell them, develop them, or whatever. Just do something with them.

Anyway, just FYI.

cool story, bro

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Guys my uncle works at Blizzard and he says that there will be a super secret quest to turn your WoW character into a dragon!

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
707th Silver Dragons

actually the question is; does Freelancer really need a sequel?

FreeLancer was a massive missed opportunity. It had some great ideas, but wasn't close to the size it should have been. The problem is that EVE came along and proved to be everything FreeLancer wasn't and should have been.

I'd love to see FreeLancer done right. It'd be great to see a game in that genre that has the scale of EVE, but with the ability to play it offline. EVE is a truly awesome achievement, and the only MMO with a shred of legitimacy in it's claim to actually create a real world. But it'd be nice to be able to enter a world like that without gankings, Jita 4.4 and the near-vertical learning curve...

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
FreeLancer was a massive missed opportunity. It had some great ideas, but wasn't close to the size it should have been. The problem is that EVE came along and proved to be everything FreeLancer wasn't and should have been.

I'd love to see FreeLancer done right. It'd be great to see a game in that genre that has the scale of EVE, but with the ability to play it offline. EVE is a truly awesome achievement, and the only MMO with a shred of legitimacy in it's claim to actually create a real world. But it'd be nice to be able to enter a world like that without gankings, Jita 4.4 and the near-vertical learning curve...

Wooooah there, I know I was saying it doesn't need a sequel, but in NO way is it comparable to EvE. EvE didn't give me the feeling of a huge scale at all simply because you were limited to going to certain pre-determined jump locations. Also the combat and gameplay is completely different. Eve is like a trade simulation game with autopilot fighting BS and Freelancer is a action shooter with RPG elements. That's like comparing an RTS to a FPS.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
The LD-14 Run is now the stuff of myth...

Wooooah there, I know I was saying it doesn't need a sequel, but in NO way is it comparable to EvE. EvE didn't give me the feeling of a huge scale at all simply because you were limited to going to certain pre-determined jump locations. Also the combat and gameplay is completely different. Eve is like a trade simulation game with autopilot fighting BS and Freelancer is a action shooter with RPG elements. That's like comparing an RTS to a FPS.

I know EVE and FreeLancer are different, I've played both. I was simply saying that in terms of scale, FreeLancer tried to come across as a large universe, but failed. That was mainly due to some serious scaling issues, and some less than ideal game design. One thing it did do very well was give the edge worlds the feeling that they genuinely were on the very edge of known space, which is something EVE never quite managed.

Once you've explored every world, there's only a limited amount of replay value. There's only 48 systems in FreeLancer, and it doesn't take a whole lot of time to see all there is to see in all of them. In EVE, there are thousands of systems, and it'd take months to see everything in all of them.

My point was that as good as parts of FreeLancer was, it could have been a game of far more impressive scale than it turned out to be.