TEXTURE UNIVERSE!!!!!!! Feedback please

• Thread starter Das Fragmeister
  • Start date
  • Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark_Outlaw lPuFl

May 16, 2000
Raleigh, NC
CRAP...I HATE IT WHEN I HIT ENTER BY MISTAKE! :)

DS-

thanks again man. i have the basic entryway done and the outlay of the courtyard (of my atlantis b4 it sunk amp), and let me tell you...it's huge...and it FLIES. I threw in 14 bots last night and there was NO slowdown...of course, the hard part is yet to come.

and even though unreal ed kept crashing (i designed a few nice looking if-i-do-say-so-myself columns and i imported like a dozen of em b4 i realized that i hadn't deintersected one properly and it caused a glitch and the system locked (man i really need 256 MB)...and of course my dumb *** was too excited to save as i was doing all this...so i lost like an hour, BUT, it only took like 15 minutes for recovery...so all was not lost, i made some good progress.

question for you das, and this is b/c i am MAC ignorant...will you be able to play these custom levels? i mean, that would SUCK if you couldn't.

anyways, a buddy gave me 3D Studio Max for my b-day, it should arrive today or tomorrow, and I found some intersting meshes on the web for statuary, so I may give that a shot soon to add decor (yeah...i know its like $3000 but the guy makes 200 G's a year as a Solaris Engineer)...

my only request is that you PLEASE don't forget about the gold texture. that will be the finishing touch. i plan on making the temple borders and fountain and a few of the entrance pillars in gold...

i appreciate it!

D

Das Fragmeister

I didn't forget about the gold ;)

..I have an relatively easy way to do that. I will just make a brushed metal texture by hand and colorize it...

I've been working on the site, and every night I study Fireworks and Dreamweaver I watch 6pm suddenly turn into 2am in the blink of an eye... :(

I'll take care of it tonight, though. :)

UT is cross-platform when it comes to maps and mods (but not the editor)...so I'll be able to play any map you make!

Looking forward to it...be sure to send me a test map before you release it, since if I see the architecture, it's MUCH easier to figure out what textures would be needed and what looks good.

Other suggestions of what you need in the pack would be helpful as well.

Scott :)

Dark_Outlaw lPuFl

May 16, 2000
Raleigh, NC
scott-

tell ya what...

the basic idea of what i am doing is coming from a pic i have that was Platos' idea of what Atlantis looked like...i am loosely mapping from that source with my own changes of course, but this will give you a basic layout...

howzabout i scan it and let you take a look? i'll scan it tonight and send it from work tomorrow. do you have photoshop or paint shop pro? i'll just save it as a jpeg anyways so it shouldn't matter...

D

Das Fragmeister

Cool....that would help...

yes...send it to me tomorrow...almost any file type is fine, I have Photoshop....

-Scott :)

Ingenue

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
Hiya Das!

I've had this thought for a while where texture-sites are concerned. Being a pro texture-artist myself, it's kindof tricky to figure out how to distribute textures, expecially sincle the "simplest" looking (i.e. 4 directional infinite tiling (like grass)) textures are really the ones that can take hours and hours.

What I might suggest is having some freebies, maybe stuff that's already out there, maybe just photos and such that people can take and make into their own textures, then have a catalogue that people can choose from. Someone pays 10-20$, then they get to pick, say, 10 texture sets of 10 textures each. These could then be downloaded by the buyer or burned to cd and sent to them.

Actually paying for most of the commerical texture cd's can suck because they usualy have 1000's of "tileable" textures on them and about half of them are repeats, bad photos, or the same image over and over just with the color balance tweaked or with a Photoshop filter or two applied.

I'd happily pay 20$ for a cd of, say 100 or so textures, provided I got to pick which ones I got.

Just my two cents...

-I

D

Das Fragmeister

Hah hah! Somebody that understands!

Yes, right now I have a CDs of backgrounds, but I almost use none of them for texture creation.

What I do have is 300-400 files of textures-in-progress...layers and layers of custom surfaces, pipes, graphics, logos, flags, etc..., all things I've drawn...sucking up the hard drive. I'd love to get something like that from someone else...so I imagine that these would be worth getting for anyone serious about texturing.

What you've said basically matches my idea right now...I'm going to offer 100 or so textures on the site, then stick the rest of those files on 2 CDs (including the site one) and offer the whole job for $20. It would be a time saver for most people...and since I'll leave those textures in layer form...they'll be much more editable for people that want to customize the work.

Thanks for the idea...if you have a site, or work up somewhere...I'd love to see it. I'll have pretty extensive links as well.

Scott
[MUTTS] Das

D

Das Fragmeister

FedTed....

I'll have to forward the Roman Pack to you later tonight or tomorrow...things here have been a little hectic, and other business prevented me from sending them earlier (and it's now 2:30am...doh!) I wanted to organize them and throw in a ReadMe for good measure.
They'll be coming....

Scott
[MUTTS] Das

FedTed

May 15, 2000
Visit site
Thanks, and I won't tell much about the project yet, 'cause I still don't know, if it works. But, when I got UT (this week) I will import my map (wich is made whit Ued1) to Ued2, and I think it will be CTF, or Assault. There are not so many Assault maps, and 1 more is not bad.

D

Das Fragmeister

FT -

Sent the textures along...please confirm that you got them.

-Scott :) :)

Rodzilla

PuF Fossil
I'm no mapper, but want to be. And that would be VERY helpful.

bullet2.gif

DarkReaper
FragFacility Administrator
FragFacility News Writer
DarkReaper@planetunreal.com
http://www.planetunreal.com/fragfacility

FedTed

May 15, 2000
Visit site
Das, you sent me those textures. Yes, I did got them. The problem is this: My Hotmail account supports only 2mb free space for mails. Your textures are way over 2mb. Grrr... Thats why Hotmails server upkeeper deleted those files. So here is solution. Send those textures to my mothers e-mail: tuula.maenpaa@dlc.fi It supports more space, than mine. Oh... those textures looked pretty damn good!

FedTed

May 15, 2000
Visit site
Das, you sent me those textures. Yes, I did got them. The problem is this: My Hotmail account supports only 2mb free space for mails. Your textures are way over 2mb. Grrr... Thats why Hotmails server upkeeper deleted those files. So here is solution. Send those textures to my mothers e-mail: tuula.maenpaa@dlc.fi It supports more space, than mine.

FedTed

May 15, 2000
Visit site
Das, you sent me those textures. Yes, I did got them. The problem is this: My Hotmail account supports only 2mb free space for mails. Your textures are way over 2mb. Grrr... Thats why Hotmails server upkeeper deleted those files. So here is solution. Send those textures to my mothers e-mail: tuula.maenpaa@dlc.fi It supports more space, than mine.

D

Das Fragmeister

Hey hey,

D/O-Don't sweat it about the pic. Tonight is fine...I spend 4 hours last night trying to make an eye-candy animation for my site work properly in Fireworks and ImageReady anyway, with little success.

FedTed-K....You're in Finland? Just curious of the time difference. I'm at work, and those attachments are on my hard drive at hime, so I'll have to wait until this evening to send them. Please e-mail me to that address to let me know which ones you received, so I won't fill the other inbox with unnecessary files.

Thanks,
Scott :)
[MUTTS] Das

FedTed

May 15, 2000
Visit site
Yap, I got those textures finally. Now I must ask... How do I import those jpg textures to Unreal? This can be stupid question, but I have NEVER worked whit textures, so I don't know much of them.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
FedTed: Use any picture program to convert the jpeg to bmp. Then open UnrealEd and select import in the texture window right!
At last hit save and create your own package.

Fragmeister: I don't want to push or critisize you, but what's with the textures I asked you about?

FedTed

May 15, 2000
Visit site
To bmp? I thought that I gotta export them to PXC... =)
Damn I'm stupid... Maybe I gotta start texture making training whit photoshop also...

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
8-4-7-2 --
Good news is, is that I haven't forgotten about you.

Bad news is, is that I'll need a little time. I have been making textures for these earlier requests, trying to publish the TextureUniverse site (so everyone can download this stuff) and I'm publishing the magazine I work at this week, all at the same time. So needless to say...I've been a little crazed when it comes to time. I'm estimating about 40 hours of work will go into publishing the site alone, including making the graphics, animations, etc...

So,,,to make a long story short, I'll try really hard to get it done this weekend, but I can't promise that. I've got it on my list of things to do, but give me a few days.

I know you're not trying to press...I just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten, I've just had a bit of a full plate this week.... ;)

Scott
[MUTTS] Das :)