Best looking Unreal series UI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What is the best LOOKING User Interface?

• Total voters

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I should have waited a bit for the new UT3 UI shots - it has got my favourite colour scheme.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Is UT:GOTY better?
When it is listed in the same posting as UT2003, UT2004, UC, UC2, UT3, etc, it should readily apparent as to what version UT is. Since it was the first in the series, it stands to reason that it would be acceptable to refer to the game as UT1 if one does not want to confuse anyone who might read their posting.

Then again, I blame this UT99 on the yearly naming convention that occurred with UT2003/4.

Sorry to momentarily derail the thread.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
People didn't start calling it UT99 until after UT2003 came out, so how would it be to blame? I think people get way too uptight over this! I do not like the yearly naming at all, but does calling UT UT99 hurt anything further? Not really.. what a silly thing to even focus on. I don't even normally call it UT99 myself but I felt like saying it just to make fun of whoever wrote that tag.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
People didn't start calling it UT99 until after UT2003 came out, so how would it be to blame? I think people get way too uptight over this! I do not like the yearly naming at all, but does calling UT UT99 hurt anything further? Not really.. what a silly thing to even focus on. I don't even normally call it UT99 myself but I felt like saying it just to make fun of whoever wrote that tag.
I simply felt like whining since I had nothing else to whine about. Kinda like how some folks whine about the lack of a good looking UI when most players use the menu for oh, about a minute out of their playtime.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
UT III v2.0 UI looks cool. I can hardly wait. This is not the same as "Patch #2" or could be misinterpreted as the v1.2 patch. I like it because of the multitude of options and settings displayed within. This one will be free, right? I'll thank Epic for this expansion.

Trat

Tr@t
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
I simply felt like whining since I had nothing else to whine about. Kinda like how some folks whine about the lack of a good looking UI when most players use the menu for oh, about a minute out of their playtime.
LOL, so true. They cover up their absense in UT3 with something as trivial as a UI, while the only reason they ran from UT3 is that they cannot cheat their asses to the top of the leaderboards in this game. So they continue to play those low threshold legacy games...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
LOL, so true. They cover up their absense in UT3 with something as trivial as a UI, while the only reason they ran from UT3 is that they cannot cheat their asses to the top of the leaderboards in this game. So they continue to play those low threshold legacy games...

Uh, post this in the UT1 forum :lol:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
What? Screenshots or it never happened :p

Go to advanced options, change from unreal browser console to standard Unreal console and there you are...or install the unpatched pre-220 unreal, geez is it that rare these days?
These days there was no browser, either people queried it from third party browser, even gamespylite which came with 220 patch..
or joined through IP
Or even in the really early days, they came to one of the redirection servers, there were lots of them and they stayed in favorite part of menu etc, they had(including epic's server) server lobbys, you could choose server which you like from map portals, there was isv kran themed map on Epic's server I believe for that...i have seen screenshots of it, the map size was rather small so players didn't complain for having it dl off the server.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I think the UT menu is glitchy, boring and hard to interpret. It is still functional and perhaps even optimal. UT2k4 menus are very good, except that you can't get to the next tab by double clicking the map you want to play. I still like the select gametype, map and then go style.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Anyway why didn't you post original UT ladder GUI? That GUI thingy is not UWindows, it's like GUI in GUI..

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Go to advanced options, change from unreal browser console to standard Unreal console and there you are...or install the unpatched pre-220 unreal, geez is it that rare these days?
These days there was no browser, either people queried it from third party browser, even gamespylite which came with 220 patch..
or joined through IP
Or even in the really early days, they came to one of the redirection servers, there were lots of them and they stayed in favorite part of menu etc, they had(including epic's server) server lobbys, you could choose server which you like from map portals, there was isv kran themed map on Epic's server I believe for that...i have seen screenshots of it, the map size was rather small so players didn't complain for having it dl off the server.

Rtruff had one of those server portal kind of things for its servers before it went down. Problem was no one kept updateing that map to keep up to date with the servers that were on the go.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania

Look, have you seen the post #1? I have posted it there, and it's the option #1, "standard Unreal (non-UWindow)".

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Rtruff had one of those server portal kind of things for its servers before it went down. Problem was no one kept updateing that map to keep up to date with the servers that were on the go.

Are you talking about UT or Unreal here? Anyway...there was also server which made these portals auto updating, it took rather the query itself, but that was rather test by some modders I think.

And GE:
Yes I know, but you didn't list difference between standard Unreal and not UBrowser, although the menus are virtually same except the "join game" part in multiplayer, which do not feature UBrowser. Meh even in UnrealGold if you bind second key other than esc with showmenu, it will show the classic not UBrowser menu (Listen I don't mean uwindows, I mean Ubrowser, the browser server list I mean).....still that is bit different than the release unreal one which had some changes here and there...but nvm..

Last edited:

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Are you talking about UT or Unreal here? Anyway...there was also server which made these portals auto updating, it took rather the query itself, but that was rather test by some modders I think.

And GE:
Yes I know, but you didn't list difference between standard Unreal and not UBrowser, although the menus are virtually same except the "join game" part in multiplayer, which do not feature UBrowser. Meh even in UnrealGold if you bind second key other than esc with showmenu, it will show the classic not UBrowser menu (Listen I don't mean uwindows, I mean Ubrowser, the browser server list I mean).....still that is bit different than the release unreal one which had some changes here and there...but nvm..

An old UT server had a simeler idea maybe exactly the same I know thay got it from somewhere and the code was there somewhere.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
I can understand this opinion but I disagree. The menu is something you see every time you run the game, so it should be at a certain level especially for a title as well known as UT. I have never said word one about the carbon fibre crap on public forums but it's an opinion that I actually share. Personally I see the overall change made to the UI as a positive one, but to me the smallest details of presentation are what tell people you actually care about the game you are making, for example the Gears UI looked polished on a whole other level, and why? They clearly wanted to make a strong impression. I don't sense that here so much.