UT3 User Interface vs the rest

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
ugh.
I am in this thread, this is my post:
I don't care about going into detail on ut3's gui and menu system.

Menus are not the biggest parts of games and they do not deserve the most discussion.

With that said for me it boils down to whether a UI is "good" or "bad". UT3 is the only UI i have ever used that has bordered on non-functional. Therefore it is bad. nuff said.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I find the UI just fine in functionality. However, it is often annoying or down right aggravating to use.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I think epic tried to make the UI more user friendly with easy presets, but we could have used a better advanced tab. Also like Brizz said, it is annoying to use.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
The interface was definately not the reason I uninstalled UT3.

But for a full quality UT-franchise game I had expected far more. far more.

Well an Interface better than Ut2k4's (when it comes to functionality).

Sys-X

Commercialized Killer !!!
Mar 22, 2006
Netherlands
The only real thing that I hate about the ut3 menu is surely the lack of options all together.
For what I care it was green with purple bubles aslong I have enough options to play with and not 2 lame slider who adjust 6+ graphical setting.
I also want custom xhairs and a way to adjust my xhairs in size, color, opacity.
More way's to adjust colors; brightness, color and gamma.
Game is too dark for me, and the only thing that worked is using a command for brightness to turn it higher but then the colors aren't that nice anymore they look washed out.
Just in every aspect ut3 has far less options then ut2004 tho I don't like the way the ui in ut2004 looks, it's the options for me that count the rest of the time I will be playing.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah itd be nice if there was a way to assign a custom full screen effect instead of being limited to epics, sure its not a major thing but when you get down to it thatd have just as much affect on the contrast.

Im not talking anything super crazy but a way to adjust a few settings perhaps without either muted or full bore, even muted the lighting seems out of whack theres gotta be somethin to adjust that alittle or maybe the lightmaps are just screwed on some maps :eek:

Guess the problem with that is all these per maps settings, oh dont get me started :p

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Yeah itd be nice if there was a way to assign a custom full screen effect instead of being limited to epics, sure its not a major thing but when you get down to it thatd have just as much affect on the contrast.

Im not talking anything super crazy but a way to adjust a few settings perhaps without either muted or full bore, even muted the lighting seems out of whack theres gotta be somethin to adjust that alittle or maybe the lightmaps are just screwed on some maps :eek:

Guess the problem with that is all these per maps settings, oh dont get me started :p
I use this to improve things somewhat:
- RivaTuner to increase texture sharpness: Driver Settings->Direct3D->Mipmapping->LOD bias = -1.3
- NV Digital Vibrance to improve color. Using rivatuner or the Nvidia panel
- DetailMode=0 in utengine.ini. By itself it seems to remove some excessive bloom, blur and misc kinds of crap that create eyestrain

The full screen hit effect is gone too by replacing FX_HitEffects.UTPostProcess with EngineMaterials.DefaultScenePostProcess

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That is for online players?

Offline it is a different story as you probably know. When you talk about offline, the UT3 menu IS bordering on non-functional.
How? Because it doesn't save the settings between matches? That sounds annoying, not non functional.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It doesn't sound like it's non functional at all, though.

Do you also say a Lawnmower with a dull blade is borderline dishwasher? :p

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
How? Because it doesn't save the settings between matches? That sounds annoying, not non functional.

Well, its technically functional in doing what it was made to do with some annoyances (remember the redundant "Next" + "Start" boxes going to a pointless "Begin Match" / "Cancel" screen?). Ok so thats been patched out.

But by design - you can't even pick which bots are on your team let alone anything beyond that. Also why do I have to play with balanced teams offline, or is that a real "enthusiest only" kind of option to put bot X on my team and bot Y on the opposition?

I'm upset because a lot of these options/abilities would barely require any new code if any - its purely the developers choice moreso than extra work.

My observation is it appears they tried to avoid anything where the user can manually input a number, and the like. (back to the whole "consolized" argument)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I won't try to assume how much extra work it would have taken and I'm not defending it. I'm just saying, the UI works just fine, whether it is missing features you want it to have or not isn't the issue.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It's not functioning fine when I want to go back to the previous menu when I'm in the Favorites tab. There's no back button and hitting Esc doesn't do anything. :p

But that's probably just another "feature" from the creators of Poops of War.