Client-side demos will never work.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Client side demos have never worked properly in any Unreal game (except maybe UT with that demo mod... maybe). So this is no big surprise.

I don't understand the need to remove them completely though.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Maybe they didn't work properly compared to other games, but in UT2004 they at least worked to the point that recording, watching, and movie-making was possible. Rypel Cam was a big help too. But to have no client-side support at all is just... sad.

Could this point to 1.2 being the last patch before they move on to something better?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I doubt it. It just seems like there isn't much work done on client side demos at all. Maybe just a problem of UE3. Sounds like UT2003 maybe? :)

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
You know what's funny though, as much as I prefer the gameplay of UT3 to 2kx, I really haven't had that many moments I wish I could record, barring some warslaught games.

Kinda sad actually.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have them all the time when I actually play. Gotta love that Shaped Charge :)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
This is kinda a disappointment.

Brizz: Yeah, client-side demos were never perfect, but at least they worked quite good enough in UT and UT2k4. So horribly-broken client-side demos in UT3 seems to tell me they didn't spend the time to get it working. And it looks like they're just completely giving up on it now.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So client side demorec is there, it's just so broken that it's not useful... :)

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
So client side demorec is there, it's just so broken that it's not useful... :)

AKA = Not supported. There's no UI for it, but if you try to use console we didn't purposely remove those commands. That might have been the mistake.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Out of curiosity, why are people saying that client side demo recording didn't work in UT 2004? It always worked for me. Maybe the replays were a bit buggy every so often but I had gigs of auto demo recordings which worked fine (and where almost equal to server side demos with the help of Rypel Cam). Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here, somehow?

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
AKA = Not supported. There's no UI for it, but if you try to use console we didn't purposely remove those commands. That might have been the mistake.

When you say "not supported"... do you mean for now, or indefinitely? Is there a chance we could see this in a future patch?

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
clientside demos were never perfect but we always had them and used them for making movies, helping to check for cheats, etc. its just another bizarre design decision to not have them working as least as much as they did before. movies and demos are some of the best fan publicity games get...