Mapvote3 causes server to 'hang' under Linux

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Steltek

Feb 28, 2002
www.lcgl.lu
I searched through this forum already but my problem doesn't seem to be mentioned so here it comes:

When I start my UT server under Linux everything runs fine (ucc DM-Morpheus -nohomedir) but as soon as I add the BDBMapVote Mutator (via the web interface) and restart the map it kind of 'hangs'. Clients can connect to it and they can walk through the level but none of the events get triggered. (ie Jump Pads don't react, Weapons don't get picked up, Firing doesn't make the Ammo counter go down...) Removing the MapVote Mutator and restarting the map again seems to fix it.

Is this a known problem or did I misconfigure something? I'd really like to run MapVote on this beast (usually used as FFA at LAN Parties) but I don't seem to have any luck here.

As for the specs:
Debian Linux 2.2r3 (with 2.2.19 Kernel, also tried 2.4.5, 2.4.10 and 2.4.17)
Unreal Tournament is V436
CPU: Pentium II 400
RAM: 512MB
NIC: 3Com 3C905B-TX-M

Anybody got a clue what else I could try? (I'll be glad to provide more information if required)

Greetings,
Steltek

BDB

May 9, 2000
NC, USA
www.planetunreal.com
Can't tell for sure what the problem is with out more info.
Did you check the servers log file for errors ?
Do you have "ServerPackages=BDBMapVote3" in the ini file ?
Did you try Reconnecting to the server when this happens ?
Post the MapVote settings from the ini file.

This is just a guess but if you have a lot of maps (200 +) then
it will take a while for the server to load the list of maps and
can cause clients to get disconnected.
They should be able to reconnect after it is finished loading.
So, try reducing the amount of maps by ether configuring MapVote to use the map list or reduce the number of maps in your
maps directory.

Steltek

Feb 28, 2002
www.lcgl.lu
> Did you check the servers log file for errors ?

Didn't get to that yet, will try ASAP (the Server's currently not available here)

> Do you have "ServerPackages=BDBMapVote3" in the ini file ?

Yes

> Did you try Reconnecting to the server when this happens ?

Yup, just the same happens: No events get triggered.

> Post the MapVote settings from the ini file.

There don't seem to be any. There is not even a section for MapVote in the UnrealTournament.ini. (Could that be the problem?)

>This is just a guess but if you have a lot of maps (200 +) then
it will take a while for the server to load the list of maps and
can cause clients to get disconnected.

The server doesn't have that many Maps... from my backup here I count about 120.

>They should be able to reconnect after it is finished loading.
So, try reducing the amount of maps by ether configuring MapVote to use the map list or reduce the number of maps in your
maps directory.

I'll try to get some settings into the file and see what that gives me as soon as I get my hands back on that machine. Thanks.