Bot communications don't contain location info?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JCD

Mar 11, 2008
Remember in UT99 (and 2K4? I can't remember) when bots sent messages like "enemy flag carrier here" and underneath the message would be their location?

Am I blind or is there no option in UT3 for bot messages to show the location they're coming from?

I know sometimes they specify "near (or in) red base" and what have you, but I've heard a few bots just say "enemy flag carrier here" with no location at all, which is completely useless.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
It's a wild guess, but that could be because of absence of zones. At least in first UT location was reported based on the map zone you (or bot) were in.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea, bots in UT3 say if it's near a base or how high in the midfield. I never heard them say just that the carrier is there. However, the zone reporting is useless anyway because when they say anything about the carrier, you can track him on the minimap.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
UT3 doesn't have location ID tags. I don't know if that was intentional game design or something to do with the engine. One thing you cannot do is keybind team communication to keys like you could in earlier games. "Enemy flag carrier is here (location)" "Cover me." "Defend the base." Etc.

One reason they may not have allowed keybinds for communication is that they wouldn't work well on console controls (as opposed to a keyboard), which provides just one more egregious example of how consolization was detrimental to the PC aspect of the game.

JCD

Mar 11, 2008
I can't get the map to show up for some reason. No matter what I do.. I've tried binding "show map" to many different keys, enabling and disabling both "show map" and zoomed minimap in the settings and I can not view the map. No idea. I get a map in Warfare mode but not in CTF.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
One reason they may not have allowed keybinds for communication is that they wouldn't work well on console controls (as opposed to a keyboard), which provides just one more egregious example of how consolization was detrimental to the PC aspect of the game.

Very good point... But then on a console players can just use headsets to tell their teammates where they are anyway.

(PC's have to use seperate stuff like Ventrilo)

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
As far as I know, at least UT 2004 (and I think UT3) had built-in voice comm--no need for Vent or Teamspeak. Console gamers don't enjoy any advantages over the PC gamers.