Helmets vs other headgear

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
I think helmets should at least provide some protection, however protecton comes at a cost, in this case visibility and weight.

When wearing a helmet your sound is muffled a little and your visibility is reduced a little ( a small black band running for about half a inch acoss the top of your screen, simulating the helmet blocking the upper band of your view).

Any plans on this?

bigsig.gif

[121st]Burton

full-auto SIG abuser
Feb 7, 2000
Todyas helmets are out of kevlar. I learned that they do not provide enough resistance vs. bullets, but should protect you from fragments and stones of nearby explosions. But the head is a small area where you could be hit, so the chance you will get knocked down by a shrapnel is very small.
I think introducing those special features you suggested would be a lot to program.
They should keep it like it is now.

seal.jpg

Party's over ! *grin*

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
How do you mean a lot to program? all it does is add armour to the head area and a small strip on your screen that's it, well besides the sound muffling but that wouldn't be too hard i imagine.

Anyway If you ever played CS pre beta 7 that you know what i mean, you could take a headshot but it could bounce of your helmet if you were lucky you heard a enormous bang and your screen got kicked around. I'd always twitch when that happened, it was very immersive.

bigsig.gif

[121st]Burton

full-auto SIG abuser
Feb 7, 2000
I am no programmer so maybe all you said is easy to do.
But I am not sure about the bullet deflecting.
It would be 1 of 1000 bullets, which will not go straigth through it, but bounce of. You would have to code it, so that only bullets get deflected, which have lost a lot of their kinetic energy during their flight.

seal.jpg

Party's over ! *grin*

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Basically it functons like a wall of a cetain thickness, that is what the armor value would be based on. you know at 3 meters a 9mm would go trough easy, but at 300 meter it would only give you a headache. It simply uses the ballistics per ammo type and then sees if it's penetrated or not (just like the walls in inf).

bigsig.gif

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Let the helmet have a bulk-, armour- and cost-rating. So you would have to think about using it.

Then make those wearing a helmet hear the sounds a little dampened.

But you should not limit the your field of view by adding a 'strip' of some sort, because the view as is is already much less than what you would have in real-life.

FoV in real-life is I think around 135 degrees ? In UT you have probably something close to 90. Already giving the impression you're wearing a helmet of some description ...

- Hindsight is always 20/20 -