UT3 DM-Extraction

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

razer121

Jun 6, 2009
just had a blast and it booted fine, seems that was the problem! anyway map looks good have you thought about changing this into a warfare map?? seems large enough to, good to run around although difficult to learn routes and such i found myself getting lost and not remembering where stuff was! this is a good thing IMO mind

Johnny x1900

Jan 14, 2006
Thank you. I conceptualized this environment as a warfare map initially, but decided to make it just a simple DM (It got more complicated as I worked on it). The next map I make will be brighter, smaller but seem more open, I want to do some kind Primeval type map with lots of organic meshes like trees and plants, something like what Ewoks lived in. You know, something other than a cave... Anyway:

When I tested it, I found myself doing two things while playing the map with 10 bots (seems to be the optimal load.):

1.Getting sniped while running to get health.
2.Running out of ammo too quick and dying trying to find some.

I think I need to remove some weapons, but add a bit more ammo.

Was the rocket launcher easy to find but difficult to acquire and was it useful on this type of map? I mean, It should be the best weapon to have and I think I made it difficult to get, but is it ultimately worth it when you do get it?

I also noticed that the bots get stuck on the jump pads some time. Did this happen for you?

I will continue to update this map and address any issues that poeple come up with. Expect updates every week. :)

Last edited:

razer121

Jun 6, 2009
didnt find any bots getting stuck anywhere but they do tend to lean towards the sniper, although i did find these!!

2-19.jpg

this one is near the rocket laucher...of course its missing bsp

1-20.jpg

as you can already guess its to high lol will post if i find anymore errors :rolleyes:

Johnny x1900

Jan 14, 2006
Gotcha.

Terrain and Health fixed. Any Issues with frame rate? Some places can get pretty heavy polygon wise. Nice player model BTW!

Last edited:

razer121

Jun 6, 2009
no problems with frames...but then i have a high end machine....will try it on a low end one see what happens, i did however notice that the bots sometimes got stuck on a jump pad?? just kept jumping on it lol

razer121

Jun 6, 2009
damn...do you have any idea whats causing it? i do think the map is pretty large! some areas i noticed seemed blocked of maybe turn this into a a team based warfare??

Johnny x1900

Jan 14, 2006
hmm, how many bots do put on the map? I think it is just too small for a warfare map. Next map I will go for that.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
The area beneath the facility, the part where you can get the flak canon, would probably be best removed. I found almost no bot action down there, and the bumpy terrain made it a little awkward too.

Also, decrease the number of health vials in each string. Presently you have about 6 per group, and each group is close enough to each other that a short jog around the map means max health.

The damage amp seemed a little too easily accessible. I'm not a huge fan of gimmicky amp spawns, but it seems like it's just sitting there as though it is nothing more than ammo or health.

The more rock centric design in areas can be a little confusing in determining where I am in the grand layout, so maybe some decals or simple meshes to help differentiate.

Anyhow, I like it so far.

Johnny x1900

Jan 14, 2006
Thanks Mclogenog I will make those changes. I don't really want to get rid of the lower route. I spent a bit of time making it nice and was part of my original design. Any suggestions on how I could improve it? Maybe I should move the rocket launcher there and put the damage amp where the rocket launcher is? I will try this and see what else I can do to get bots to go down there more.

For the rocky areas, Yes, they are monotonous, I will address this by adding some moss in a few places and some dimly glowing fungus. I think I could add some of those light posts higher up in the rocks too, just to illuminate them better.

Thanks for your comments, they were helpful. I will make those changes and upload a tested map later today.

Edit: One other question: I made most of the rock meshes tilted so that when you look at them you get an idea of which direction your heading in. Did that help? I got the idea from Onyx Coast.

Last edited:

Johnny x1900

Jan 14, 2006
Been working on textures and materials. Its getting there. I have most of the Materials done, but still have a few more textures to go. I did change the placement of some items based on what you guys said.

061009a.jpg

061009b.jpg

061009c.jpg

061009d.jpg

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
If I may suggest, the textures like the rock on the left in the last shot would benefit from some light normal mapping. Probably the ground too. Didn't know if you planned on that...

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Maybe a decrease in specular and an increase in normal? Unless those rocks are wet :p

Looks awesome btw, provide some info on gameplay please?

Johnny x1900

Jan 14, 2006
Beta version 1.0 is here! There is still some more to do, but that will come in a later release. v1.1 will have more sounds, more deco meshes and some particle effects.

Download here.

062009Beta1.jpg

062009Beta2.jpg

062009Beta3.jpg

062009Beta4.jpg

062009Beta5.jpg

062009Beta6.jpg

Last edited: