UT3 DM-Hyraxis [Beta]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Name: DM-Hyraxis
Version: Beta 1.7
Compatibility: 1.2 Patch
Description: Located deep within the core of the Hyraxis Transportation network are stations such as H-AXC003. These stations accelerate automated passenger trains up to supersonic speeds by means of electromagnetic induction, delivering human cargo to their destinations within minutes. This system was initiated by the Liandri corporation in order to prevent choking airways due to overload of civilian movement during the Tournament. H-AXC003, out of high demand for bloodsport, was converted into a tournament arena for violent battles to the death, not because of the high drops, but because of the dangers present in an active accelerating station.

Comments: Although it may not look like much, it may be my second map finished, and third map attempted on UT3, this map is no joke. Hyraxis is a radical, different, deadly layout for a deathmatch map, originating from an original TimeSplitters: Future Perfect map called AuToMaTiKs 2, Hyraxis is going to make you think twice about jumping off that platform to the rail, or go after the amp, or run haplessly through a teleport, it will keep your twitch reflexes going though it may not look like much. The jump button will be used... it will be.

Note: For PS3 users, I will have a release when it's final. Right now it can't be cooked because of the teleport meshes.

Download: Beta 1.7

Video: DM-Hyraxis Beta 1.4

Screenshots (Beta 1.7):
[SCREENSHOT]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00000.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00001.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00002.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00003.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00005.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Beta 1.7 Slideshow

Credits: DarkPulse for Video, xViper AKx/Hugh Weymouth for environmental design and concepts, Epic for provided content and editor, also, Stevelois, Assass1n, and Setheran who provided feedback!

Last edited:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
The pictures sure look good ... I know I need to make time to test drive this and so I will. I'll get to it by tomorrow for certain.

Edit: Well I took a look at it man and so far I think it is a very nice level. The visuals are coming along nicely and the layout is pretty cool and certainly not one most folks will have played before. But I do have to say that I don't really know how well it plays because it is not my type of level to play on. I just don't enjoy maps where it is easy for me to fall to my death. I avoid maps with pits in them because in UT3 I am always accidently dodging when I move so I already know I would get frustrated playing this map since its inevitable I will die from a fall. But I am sure other folks will have a great time with this level.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I should have some more changes up this week, I got real lazy with building this map and hopefully I should have more updates for you guys later. It feels like it's gone into some kind of slow-mode where it's becoming more and more difficult to figure out what to do with it. I Know there's a lot of empty space on the walls, but it takes so long to build the map with my horrible processor that it's becoming a hassle just to add a few static meshes. In a few weeks I should have a new power supply for my WIP PC, and that should enable me to go get my RAM, Sound Card, and CPU set up. If there's anybody that's willing to help, please reply in this thread, I check it whenever there's a reply, so please either PM me if you have any ideas or if you want me to fix something. (I've experimented somewhat with the lighting as of recent, trying to make it look a tad brighter)

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Alright, I added more ambient brightness to the map, which should help those who don't have great settings for dark maps. I also added Post Process, (all screenshots were taken on Vivid Post Process setting), height fog, more ambient sounds, more meshes, and most importantly, fixed some gameplay issues with the jumps.

Grogan

I tried this map tonight. I played through it with normal weapons as well as Instagib. I found myself really liking it, thanks.

I previously passed this map by, because the screenshots just made me think it was yet another dreary, run of the mill, space station-like map. I was wrong about that, this map is a lot of fun jumping around between those bridges, using the jump pads and teleporters to come up behind Akasha and obliterate the witch with a flak cannon. (I hate her... but I keep her in my roster because she makes me MAD heheh. Especially in Instagib mode, she seems to be programmed to do real annoying stuff and her condescending, arrogant taunts make me want to kill.)

I also enjoyed the death traps, the mag lev tram that comes along and creams you if you spend too long on the track. I like the fact that there's no useful warning. I also like that plunger thing that gets you, or denies you of a kill when it crushes another bot. I dunno why, I should probably hate those things but I like to be surprised.

I'll probably be playing it instagib from now on, but the weapon placement seems pretty good. I was not having to run around with the enforcer for very long. One thing I'd like better is, if there was more than one flak cannon in the map. I like it in any map, but it seems to go really well with this one :)

Hey look, I'm sorry I'm not one of those nit picky observant people who find faults in everything, to criticize. I'm just a casual player who likes nice maps and enjoys the game, and I'm not afraid to just post to tell someone I like their map. There's a lot of bitching about non useful feedback over at that other place and it's making me think twice about wanting to get involved at all.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sorry about the lack of a serious warning system, I set something up in kismet that gives you a loud warning, not to mention a visual warning, it deals with the tracks themselves. I will update again once I've got more visual detail going.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
So, 1.7 is available, I expect feedback though, mainly because I'm reaching a stalemate between me and the visuals.

The map is dark for a reason, contrast. There is quite a difference between inside the towers and the exterior because it gives a feel of being in two different areas of the map. What I was considering for the next release is a couple more static meshes, a few more lights to give reason to the bright glowing objects, and a lot more aurally pleasing sounds. After that's done and there's more feedback, there will be one last release before final.

Last edited: