JB-TheDecks

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I don't see why the JB2004c patch was never released... wasn't it finished, or very close to doing so? :con:
Feel free to convert it if you want... :) I think it would be a cool BR map, but the jails and the JB stuff are the best part about it, and what the most effort was put into... :rolleyes:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The patch is practically finished, and I actually don't know why we haven't released yet. Maybe we should just do, it'd be a shame if we don't.

I know the most work went into the jails, which would not be used in any other version of the map. However, the item layout was built for the Jailbreak gameplay as well. I found that the magma pool area would stay almost unused in other versions. I came up with the following change: The magma room teleporters are connected, the shock room teleporters lead to the redeemer ledge on the same team's side (and back), and there's lift-jump access to the redeemer area as well (for iCTF, since there's the teleporter to the other side). No idea how it'll work out in actual iCTF and nwCTF gameplay, let alone nwBR or iBR.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Sounds good. :) Just make sure the teleporter route isn't overused... otherwise I'd leave the teleporters the same way as the JB version: there are 2 healths next to the jumpads so the lower route might still be interesting...
I'm not sure if the linkguns should be moved to another place, I like the way all the other weapons are placed... :rolleyes:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I've just uploaded Beta 1 of CTF-TheDecks. Sorry Lecter, but the magma rooms look like in the DM version, because I think the openness is needed for CTF. The ramps and middle walkway already provide a lot of cover from above.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I've just uploaded Beta 1 of CTF-TheDecks. Sorry Lecter, but the magma rooms look like in the DM version, because I think the openness is needed for CTF. The ramps and middle walkway already provide a lot of cover from above.
Can't check it out since I don't have UT2k4 installed right now. What do you mean by 'like in the DM version'? If you've deleted the cages and restored the trimming from the lava pool, then I'm OK with that, but I don't think the dodgeramps next to the Minigun should be removed (despite they won't be very useful with the trans turned on).

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
BTW: I'm at beta 3 now with the CTF conversion and tried something for the blue side:
[screenshot]http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/other/TheDecks3.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/other/TheDecks6.jpg[/screenshot]
The crate textures are borrowed from Teddie's CTF version.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Looks fantastic! :tup: I'd appreciate it if you pasted these changes into the JB version. :D

Been playing a botmatch, and I think the teleporters may be better the way they are in the JB version: The current bottom route is way faster and safer than other paths such as the sides or the walkways that lead to the Bio, plus you can find 100 health and a 100 shield along the way, compared to the 50 health/shield from most of the other routes... ;)

Whether you restore the teleporters or not, I think the current ones from the Shock room to the Deemer area are unnecesary and should be removed, plus they're facing the wrong direction (IMO). I'd put the Deemers back, leaving the spot as a Trans/Liftjump only spot...

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Release Candidate 2 of the CTF version.
  • Teleporters and Redeemer back to JB setup.
  • Tweaked the slime a bit.
  • Replaced "TD" with "16" and "17" because it made sense. (Tell be if you want that in the JB version as well.)
  • Updated the monitors near the flags and lifts to have proper reflections and show The Decks instead of DM-Deck16][ geometry.
  • Some additional PlayerStarts to reduce the chance of respawning directly next to the flag. (That's a bit annoying in iCTF.)

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Replaced "TD" with "16" and "17" because it made sense. (Tell be if you want that in the JB version as well.)
Yeah, if the crates have been modified then you could add the numbers back. :) The 'TD' logo is being shown at the loading screen, though... I'll see if I still have the original .psd file in my home PC.

Now that one of the bases is changed, I've been thinking about what to do with the arena and the secondary jail... it'd be awesome if they showed lava or slime depending on the team that is winning, but I dunno about how dynamic or triggerable lights work in 2k4... :rolleyes: The goo may not fit too much with the fire spirit execution so it may be OK as it is now (the toolbox doesn't have anything like a 'goo spirit execution', right? :p)

I'll check out this beta later this week! ;)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I already thought about something like a "poison spirit", basically a green cloud that starts reducing a player's health on contact. But for the jail I think the fire spirit execution and lava on both sides is ok. The arena could be changed to bio waste instead, if you want some kind of compensation.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Or another idea for the arena: Have two versions of it and either pick randomly of based on which team won the last arena fight.
The same idea could probably work for the secondary jail area. Have two versions and randomly toggle between them after captures.

Just one thing: There seem to be many BSP surfaces that have a needlessly small lightmap resolution.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I think arena matches are not frequent enough to make a whole new arena, which would most likely be less interesting than the one I made years ago. Creating a duplicate just to change the lava doesn't look like a good idea, either... The secondary jails had some complex triggering and I'm afraid of breaking that if I make a new one. Feel free to try by yourself, but you may end up breaking something! :p
I think turning the surfaces into movers (with the lavavolume attached to them) would be an easy way to do it, it's changing the lighting that's the hard part...

BTW, I have the original LoadingScreen file here. Let me know when you're done with the JB version changes and I'll update the picture... or I could send you the .psd file if you want to do it instead... ;)

Edit:
Just one thing: There seem to be many BSP surfaces that have a needlessly small lightmap resolution.
By 'small', you mean high or low resolution? There may be some stuff in the middle rooms with hi-res lightmaps to make the ramps create shadows, but I think I 'lowered' (to 32 or 64) everything else to reduce the filesize...

Edit2:
It seems that dynamic light effects can be done with Projectors, any idea of how they work? Maybe the lights near the lava could be changed to white, using a red/green projector to color the walls.
Projectors can be turned off in the game settings, though... :hmm:

Edit3:
Made a quick test with TriggerLights and they seem to work. Doing this in one or two lights in the arena/jail may be enough, although I don't know if it would be too performance-heavy...

Attachments

• TriggerLight.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
IMHO the light from the magma/slime should not have sharp edges. It's quite a large light source after all.

BTW: Your Door setup looks a bit... unconventional. I think the cages could go well without doors, being marked as non-relevant to AI. The lift with the teleporter could probably be set up to have a single Door instead of the lift nodes.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I remember bots constantly trying to get out of jail, both in the cages and the secondary jail. IIRC, I eventually fixed it with the door navpoints and forcing some paths, I dunno if there's a better way to do it... The secondary jail has several doors to avoid that, but if the teleporters work without the lift nodes you may be OK with just one...

Feel free to tweak anything you think you can improve... just save a backup first! :D

Last edited: