JB-CellBlockA

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
I am starting to think that I may have way too much freetime, but hey, that means more time to become a better mapper.

Speaking of which, my current work in progress (not even to beta status yet) is called JB-CellBlockA. Credit goes to expisCoR for the idea, it was in a thread he posted way back when on our clan website.

The entire thing takes place in a cell block of a prison. This map is small, but made to accomodate 16 players at a time. The action is freakishly frantic and fast paced. The cellblock is three levels tall, with the top level holding the release switches.

JB-CellBlockA has:
8 seperate jails per team, all released by the same switch.
A few custom meshes and brushes, nothing complicated.
No fewer than 100 cells, each with a working door.
Bot sniping points.

JB-CellBlockA will have:
An Arena (I was thinking of doing a prison shower room for this one :lol: )
I still need to get bots to use most of the doors. Lots of door actors to set.
Still need to add shields and health, health vials and adrenaline.
Execution Sequence (might be custom, might not)

JB-CellblockA will not have:
A redeemer. One shot would take out half the map easily.
No vehicles. Again, it's just too small.

There is no version to download just yet, and I'm predicting that the map may have some performance problems once it's finished. I will have to study this further as I continue to work on it. However, I have included some screenshots for your enjoyment.

Let me know what you think!
:D

Attachments

• CellblockAscreenie1.jpg
    CellblockAscreenie1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 104
  • CellblockAscreenie2.jpg
    CellblockAscreenie2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 74

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I really like the look of this one. So far from the pics it looks very atmospheric in there. Will be insane to play.

Bit of advice here on the mapping front. One map at a Time!
Otherwise you end up neglecting stuff....I have done this before and regret it....

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
The_Head said:
I really like the look of this one. So far from the pics it looks very atmospheric in there. Will be insane to play.

Bit of advice here on the mapping front. One map at a Time!
Otherwise you end up neglecting stuff....I have done this before and regret it....

From a playtesting perspective, it IS insane to play. The fps are totally shot though, too much info thrown at my radeon 9600 pro at once I guess. (with myself and 15 bots the fps dropped below 10 a couple of times. Could just be me. :lol: )

I have split this map, trying to decide on what path to take to complete it. The second version has half of the jails removed, this took out about 100 brushes and almost 150 static meshes (in an effort to improve the frame rates). In the end it didn't really help much though, so I'm not sure if I'll keep it with all the cells or not.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Looks atmospheric.
With a cell block theme, you're going to have to have a pretty nasty execution!
Remember the electric chair in the Alcatraz map?

The floor in the main area looks a bit flat though. Any way you can break it up a bit?

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
tarquin said:
The floor in the main area looks a bit flat though. Any way you can break it up a bit?
^^ areed. I would perhaps put some jails or something underneath the floor and have mesh there so you can see through it. Probably will hit the performance a bit. I can't see why it is so bad at the moment though.

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
I think the performance problem is due to the 15 bots that I test the map with. (That and the lights.)

Let's see, a way of breaking up the floor hmm? There is already stuff under it, so maybe I'll just work that into some see through grating or something.

expisCoR

Thinktank for the "Head CoR JB Mapper"
Mar 12, 2005
West Chester, PA
Just looking at the screen shots, it looks like it is going to be great. I made a couple attempts at this, but couldn't seem to get what I wanted, and this is it. Very nice. I think I may have tried to make it too big. Oh well, whatever, nice pics and I would love to try it out some time [soon].

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
I had this huge page long response written here, and I lost it all... Death to the funky keyboards!!!!!

Summary time!
If you would like an advanced version of the map just pm me and we'll set it up for me to email it to you once the arena is done and the door actors are all working. (shudders...)

The rest was all just random silliness.

(Actually no it wasn't, this begins the edit...)

The playtesting was done from the UED with Musicmatch jukebox running, all on a subpar proc. (1.37 GB) It is no wonder that 15 bots give my pc the fits.

Using a theme from the jails basement I added some detail to the floor. Nothing spectacular but it get's the point across I think.

Last edited:

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
Just remember folks, save like your life depends on it. I lost three hours of work on this map today because the UED decided to go to florida asap.

:lol:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Yeh UED has a habit about that. We had the stabability discussion over on the main BUF forums last week. Its perfectly stable once you know what causes the crashes. The one i usually fall victim to pressing back more than 3-4 times.
I'd like a version of the map to have a go on please mate. If you want me to host the file to save you emailing it to people let me know.

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
I use version 3 but it doesn't auto save at all...

Crap.

Anyways, I will take you up on your offer for hosting it. I "did" have all of the doors done and the arena almost done when the editor crashed, but now I have to do it all again. :(

When it's done I'll let you know and post a few more screenshots or something.