Poll - All weapons fire bullets idea

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 weapons

• Would you prefer having only: All weapons firing bullets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UT3 is oky the way it is

Votes: 70 97.2%
  • Keep the actual weapons and add more firing bullets weapons!

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Hmm .. I don't think I would really like UT with regular weapons.
We've already got enough uninspired developers using those.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I was talking about the weapons too, for weapon creativity... Resistance on PS3 is a good reference.

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
I think that you got confused a bit at the store, CoD 4 was the one with the kind-of-realistic walking soldier on the cover of the game.

So basically you would want to replace all the weapons with the generic bullet weapons used already in a bazillion of games to make it "stand out" from the rest of the games? How does turning all the weapons to hitscan improve in any way the skill required or the teamplay?
Hitscan weapons are rare and not very powerful in fast-paced competitive FPS like UT 3 for a reason. All they require is aim. Projectile-based weapons instead require also timing and foreseeing to hit someone.
Turning all the weapons to hitscan just makes the game more luck-based. It's all a matter of who sees who first, not who used better his weapons. Of course there can be weapons that are better at close-range than high-range, but it's very easy to find just one weapon that's good for both ranges and use it for the whole match. UT 3 weapons instead have a specific use, and if you want to be good at the game you have to use each of them equally well. In UT 3 all the weapons are balanced, players can't just pick one weapon and use it for the whole match.

Just for personal interest, I would like to hear what other similar recent games to UT 3 you saw. Let's say, how many UT3-like games have been released in the past year?
If you say that there's no strategy or tactics in UT 3, then you have never played a good team match.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Okay then, if you want to talk about the UT3 weapons you have to realize that they really all have their genesis in Unreal. In 1998, those weapons were groundbreaking. Multiple fire modes were unique - let alone multiple fire modes for every weapon. The UT RocketLauncher had no less than six firing modes. All of the weapons pretty much have another that trumps it in certain situations.

I haven't played Resistance as I don't own a PS3, but that doesn't negate the fact that the UT weapons set a new standard for the industry. So, yes, the UT3 weapons are creative by default.

Could they mix it up with a few new ideas - sure - they'd just have to make sure that the paper-rock-scissors qualities remained.

And you consider loading up the arsenal with all bullet-firing weapons to be somehow more creative??

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well lets also consider that UT is scifi and the universe kinda lends itself to new plasma and other weapons technologies. Bullet weapons in UT might work but theres not even many of the original bullet firing weapons left when you compare the games, like the lightning gun replaced the sniper rifle for a time and now the stinger replaced the minigun.

I think someone is getting confused as bullets are projectiles and originally "rounds" were round and didnt have the casings etc. Its possible for UT to pickup something like a railgun with a magnetic field pushing the projectile out of the chamber but in similar vein thats how the biorifle or plasmagun might also work. A light rail assault rifle might go over better than its 2kx counterpart for eg.

When you consider all the other tech like spawning which is now partly explained by field lattice generators and whatnot it really doesnt make sense for UT to go backwards unless they set it before the original UT upon the forming of the liandri tourny and perhaps alittle bit before hand. Even then the bullet weapons they would use would be a farcry from realistic weaponry I would think.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Instead of simply scrapping UT's classic weapon set in a half-assed attempt to become some kind of CoD4 clone, how about:

*2 full weapon sets, realistic & sci-fi/fantasy.
*2 full character sets, realistic & 'anything goes'.
*2 full map sets, you get the idea...
*a crapload of muts and config options to change gameplay from oldskool arena to tactical, and anything in between.
*UT99-style or > mod support.

Or, you could take it a step further and add procedural weapon generation technology to the mix, and develop similar programs for characters, vehicles and such. Infinite fun in infinite combinations.

Of course, such a game would strictly speaking no longer be 'UT', but as long as all the good elements of the old franchise are still there, and can be configured in a way that recreates the original UT experience, that shouldn't be a problem even for the most hardcore purists.

Well, it's either something like this or the way of the dinosaur...

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I think that you got confused a bit at the store, CoD 4 was the one with the kind-of-realistic walking soldier on the cover of the game.

So basically you would want to replace all the weapons with the generic bullet weapons used already in a bazillion of games to make it "stand out" from the rest of the games? How does turning all the weapons to hitscan improve in any way the skill required or the teamplay?
Hitscan weapons are rare and not very powerful in fast-paced competitive FPS like UT 3 for a reason. All they require is aim. Projectile-based weapons instead require also timing and foreseeing to hit someone.
Turning all the weapons to hitscan just makes the game more luck-based. It's all a matter of who sees who first, not who used better his weapons. Of course there can be weapons that are better at close-range than high-range, but it's very easy to find just one weapon that's good for both ranges and use it for the whole match. UT 3 weapons instead have a specific use, and if you want to be good at the game you have to use each of them equally well. In UT 3 all the weapons are balanced, players can't just pick one weapon and use it for the whole match.

Just for personal interest, I would like to hear what other similar recent games to UT 3 you saw. Let's say, how many UT3-like games have been released in the past year?
If you say that there's no strategy or tactics in UT 3, then you have never played a good team match.

Answer:

Just tell me how, changing all weapons to hitscan would benefit gameplay/teamplay? I don't see the connection. Last time I saw similar attempt (or at least it turned out to be a hitscan fest - TAM) that did nothing to teamplay. More like killed it.

hmmm I just read your post, but why are you talking about hitscans???
Gears of War isn't using the Hitscan technique at all and that isn't very great in term of gameplay for a Shooter game. :(
Think about a rocket, but faster... it's all what it is about.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Turning all the weapons to hitscan destroys this game. Everyone will be hiding behind corners. Long gone will be the run and gun aspect that makes this game great.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
... wow
Having weapons firing bullets DOESN'T MEAN AT ALL = HITSCANS

It just mean bullets, you must make the difference between Hitscans and fast projectiles.
Bullets like in Gears of War are fast projectiles, same for Soldier of Fortune 2.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well all weapons firing bullets doesnt say that to me, call me crazy. Must admit I didnt read the whole thread, mainly looked at the pretty pictures :)

Didnt I hear complaints of lag in Gears, maybe its a listenhost problem... Pretty sure youd need some sort of lag compensation for that, projectiles are bad enough without having them move really quick. Personally Id probably try a combination of both tracefire and projectilefire to get some kind of avg and compensate from there since the trace can move quicker than the projectile.

In other terms, would you prefer the Gears of War weapon system [real bullets] instead of a crazy looking Bio Rifle.

This to me sounds like you want to replace all projectile weapons with hitscan but you already stated thats not what you wanted. Personally I still dont get it but I'll let you continue on trying to explain it without sounding alittle hypocritical :cool:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Well, you are right, GoW has Lag issues... ask Cliff. "GoW has the best network coding in the world but still have huge issues"

Soldier of Fortune 2 is using a similar bullet style that GoW and is totally effective. Unfortunately the Gold patch destroyed the Weapon System and made that a somekind of R6 instean of an action game.

It means, you see the bullets with some kind of tracers maybe 2 meters long, but you clearly see that there is a bullet speed. It's not a hitscan.

At medium or long range you can dodge the bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.