Doom 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
GeneticFreak said:
What Doom3 REALLY needs to make it a breakthrough FPS

Less amount of monsters but tougher ones, and they are all in the places where you least expect them, that falls down after you kill them, and stands back up, even in normal mode
Less ammunition so you must make each bullet count.
Limited inventory, like 3 weapons only.

That would make it ALOT scarier, and more tense. Because after a while the game just becomes a gunning-kill-everything-and-go-berserk spree like the other FPS'es.
theo nly thing in there that makes sense is the less ammo thing. i agree wholeheartedly with that.

but 3 weapons only? wtf? that would suck ass. i hated how far cry only let you carry 4, if i could only carry 3 in this i'd be like...wtf. every weapon in d3 is distinct and useful in dif't situations. shotty only good for going through doors and when monsters are right in your face (or for big targets). beyond 10 feet the pistol is better. the machine gun is the most average weapon...being useful at any range, but it doesn't do much damage. best choice at zombies in the distance or shooting barrels from far away. chaingun...a lot of punch in there, but slow fire. good for pretty much anything. grenades...very bouncy :) haven't used them much except to blow up zombies around a corner. plasma gun...only good at close range or for stationary, far off targets. such as a "sniping" revenant. and what about the rocket launcher/bfg/soul cube? you'd have to drop one of your average weapons just to carry these. then you'd be faced with killing a zombie with either a - plasmagun, shotty...or soulcube. gee, makes a lotta sense eh.

Less amount of monsters but tougher ones, and they are all in the places where you least expect them, that falls down after you kill them, and stands back up, even in normal mode. - there aren't many monsters, and they are tough. well as tough as they can literally get. i mean...a zombie? yea, i really want a zombie to take 5 shells to kill. i think 2 is fine for killing a zombie. imps? i don't want to have to empty a full mag of chaingun ammo on it, 20 is fine. besides, there are tough monsters - look at the mancubus. they take about 150 cells to kill, and since they're so big, lumbering and slow it feels right for it to take that much.

- the monsters often do get back up or respawn after you kill them, and they are in places you least expect them. like behind you in a room you just searched.

GeneticFreak

evolves and survives
Yea but sometimes theres too much of them easy to kill monsters on the screen at one time, and with your lots of ammo, the game quickly becomes "just another shooter" when that moment comes. (bang bang bang just another unreal2)

Another cool zombie thing I have in mind, its okay if the zombies are alot and easy to hit, but what if you can only cripple the Zombies (detach their limbs) but they stay alive. So if you shoot their legs they will crawl to you. Decapitate them and they still walk to you. Shoot off their arms and they will still try to get to you and bite you.

Anyway, what I had in mind was an FPS with superior graphics, intense scary horror gameplay, and ammo so scarce that you might want to use the last bullet on yourself.

Last edited:

Myrmidion

Re-edifying the post-panarchic duodonemy
Jan 28, 2001
igNiTion said:
but 3 weapons only? wtf? that would suck ass. i hated how far cry only let you carry 4, if i could only carry 3 in this i'd be like...wtf. every weapon in d3 is distinct and useful in dif't situations. shotty only good for going through doors and when monsters are right in your face (or for big targets). beyond 10 feet the pistol is better. the machine gun is the most average weapon...being useful at any range, but it doesn't do much damage. best choice at zombies in the distance or shooting barrels from far away. chaingun...a lot of punch in there, but slow fire. good for pretty much anything. grenades...very bouncy :) haven't used them much except to blow up zombies around a corner. plasma gun...only good at close range or for stationary, far off targets. such as a "sniping" revenant. and what about the rocket launcher/bfg/soul cube? you'd have to drop one of your average weapons just to carry these. then you'd be faced with killing a zombie with either a - plasmagun, shotty...or soulcube. gee, makes a lotta sense eh.

I've never had a problem with having limitations on my weapons, and I thought Farcry was better for it. Sometimes, walking around with every known gun on your back gets quite tiring, as you know you have something to counter every single attack in existence. Anyway, 3 weapons would be plenty - you have your short range weapon, your medium range weapon, and your backup weapon/health doohickey. The best bit of that is that you can chop and change, so in fact the likelihood of running out of ammunition all together is much, much lower.

The inventory system - (ala System Shock (2)) is another good idea, as it forces you to make choices between carrying another weapon or more hypos/other stuff. You can't have your cake and eat it. :)

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
GeneticFreak said:
Anyway, what I had in mind was an FPS with superior graphics, intense scary horror gameplay, and ammo so scarce that you might want to use the last bullet on yourself.
lesson number 1: always expect the worst of a new game ;)

Myrmidion said:
I've never had a problem with having limitations on my weapons, and I thought Farcry was better for it. Sometimes, walking around with every known gun on your back gets quite tiring, as you know you have something to counter every single attack in existence. Anyway, 3 weapons would be plenty - you have your short range weapon, your medium range weapon, and your backup weapon/health doohickey. The best bit of that is that you can chop and change, so in fact the likelihood of running out of ammunition all together is much, much lower.
that's the thing with doom 3, a short range weapon, medium ranged weapon and extra just wouldn't cut it. shotgun definitely, ok got it. then what about for taking things out at a distance? if it's a lost soul you'd use either pistol or machine gun...but if you could only carry 3 you wouldn't be carrying any of those would you? hell no, you'd have a chain gun. waste of ammo on a lost soul. same with trites, 5 shots from a machine gun is plenty, or a few pistol shots. it's a waste of a shell...and nobody uses a f'in chaingun for a trite. and what about the plasma gun? would you carry that or not? it's an excellent weapon...but ya never know if something would be more useful. i don't want to take out a pathetic zombie with a plasma gun. and what about the flashlight and chainsaw? would those take up inventory slots also? what about at the end, where you need both the bfg and the soul cube pretty much to win? what would be your third weapon for taking out all the lesser demons that pop up..just one choice? perhaps a chaingun....or a plasma gun?

3 weapons just wouldn't work in doom 3 IMHO. it would just plain f*cking suck.

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
I have to disagree with the statement that each weapon in Doom III is unique and useful in different situations. In fact, I found that most of the weapons are so similar they are virtually interchangeable. There are slight differences in how you use the weapons, yes, but not much difference in their tactical application. The shotgun you have to get up close to use, but there's rarely anything stopping you from doing so. The machinegun is better at range, but of course you can usually make yourself all the range you need... and so on. In fact, virtually any demon can be easily defeated with virtually any weapon - after all, the shotgun takes out almost any demon in 1 or 2 hits, with the dog things requiring 3 and hell knights requiring 5. (On Veteran difficulty, may be different on lower difficulties)

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
MegaManInferno said:
Yup, I always expect the worse and just basicly forget about a game when the publishers and devs cant make there release date. Ive been doing it ever since UT2003 came out.

Wait... they're supposed to meet the initial release date??

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
MegaManInferno said:
Well, yes, thats why they set it.
If they didnt want me to forget about there game then they should set more realistic release dates.

Just a bit of sarcasm ;) :p

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
edited out: Let it never be known I agreed with MMI on ANYTHING. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
BinarySystem said:
I have to disagree with the statement that each weapon in Doom III is unique and useful in different situations. In fact, I found that most of the weapons are so similar they are virtually interchangeable. There are slight differences in how you use the weapons, yes, but not much difference in their tactical application. The shotgun you have to get up close to use, but there's rarely anything stopping you from doing so. The machinegun is better at range, but of course you can usually make yourself all the range you need... and so on. In fact, virtually any demon can be easily defeated with virtually any weapon - after all, the shotgun takes out almost any demon in 1 or 2 hits, with the dog things requiring 3 and hell knights requiring 5. (On Veteran difficulty, may be different on lower difficulties)
i wholeheartedly disagree. read my post a bit up for the uses of each. nothing stopping you getting up close?? ok, for imps there's not. other things come right up to you, and it is hard as hell to hit with a shotgun when being attacked or when monsters are at your feet. and usually it is impossible to purposely put range between yourself and a monster - still in sight of each other, that is. and with revenants, they are just as deadly up close as far away. making it hard to use either shot gun OR machine gun / chain gun. and at long range the plasma is pretty much useless unless you plan on wasting a whole 50 cells...

Last edited:

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
GeneticFreak said:
Another cool zombie thing I have in mind, its okay if the zombies are alot and easy to hit, but what if you can only cripple the Zombies (detach their limbs) but they stay alive. So if you shoot their legs they will crawl to you. Decapitate them and they still walk to you. Shoot off their arms and they will still try to get to you and bite you.

That would be so cool :) I kinda expected that to be in that game, instead of all the enemies disolving into nothing so quick..

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
ok got this from a site and ''the meant to be played'' system specs almost make me cry when I look at my PC :eek:

This is ridicilous, absolutly not fun anymore.
cmon, 2048 RAM :(

Minimum:
Processor: 1.5 GHz RAM: 384 - 512 MB Videocard: 64 MB card

Normal:
Processor: 2.4 GHz RAM: 1024 MB Videocard: 128 MB card

Meant to be played:
Processor: 3.4 GHz RAM: 2048 MB Videocard: Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra or ATI Radeon X800 XT

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
That would be so cool :) I kinda expected that to be in that game, instead of all the enemies disolving into nothing so quick..

Could you imagine being overrun by a mob of zombies that die only after you've obliterated every last piece of them? That would be slick.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Predcaliber, that's the specs in case you have two monitors connected to your PC and want to run an own independent instance of Doom 3 on each of them or something.

Last edited:

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
i think that "meant to be played" is a load of crap. They're just playing 'technophile' is all. Sure, and I need two widescreen TFT's for dual display and a rumble chair and a 2k watt 7.1 surround sound system and a lapdancer working me. "meant to be played," pfft ... my ass.

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
i think that "meant to be played" is a load of crap. They're just playing 'technophile' is all. Sure, and I need two widescreen TFT's for dual display and a rumble chair and a 2k watt 7.1 surround sound system and a lapdancer working me. "meant to be played," pfft ... my ass.

lol :)

well ok, you got a point, I found it ridicilous cause its very hard to find a PC with the ''meant to be played'' specs or you are going to pay a ****load of money, and then I really mean a ****load of money

I was kinda kidding.

:stick: :jen:

Last edited: