Ahhh, crap, just read this about eye problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Apparently, staring at a monitor for long periods of time will cause "Functional" disability to your eyes. They say it only happens with small and old monitors. What happens is you start to lose perception of reality. What they mean is...everything will seem like a dream. Your eyes cannot focus and filter in objects from the extreme right and left of your target. Basically, your peripheral vision is degraded.

No joke folks. There are documented cases of this. If you experience any problems with attention to visual details, difficulty focusing on more than one distant object, immediately comprehending words (look at a label then quickly look at something else and ensure you immediately understand what you read or saw).

Although this is now associated with computers, this problem was experienced by scribes, who focused on close and small objects for long periods of time.

See a doctor if you have trouble with your eyes...

------------------
[Ci]Prophetus][PuF][

CAPTURE! Home of CTF map reviews, strategies and Forums.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
The part where you say "lose your perception of reality" is scary. I'm hoping you're talking about visual perception, and not sanity perception...?

I'm staring at a bloody monitor all day at work and then most of the evenings at home. I just turned 37, and my eyesight is just now starting to go down a bit. I've always had great eyesight. I figure it's my old age starting to come on.

Constantly staying focused on small objects would be a strain on the eyesight.

Would people be willing to give up their addiction to videogaming in order to get an extra year or two out of good vision over their lifetime? I doubt it. To save a lifetime of vision if they were to lose it immediately? They'd better.

Hmmm. Buy a big new monitor everyone. ;)

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I use to have 20/20 vision. Now I have to wear glasses when I want to read signs or see things far away! Damn computers! ;)

bullet2.gif

I'll eat your gun lead and sh*t out No.2 pencils!

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Please, I have always had a strong grasp on reality. The sky is still green, cars still run on Sweet Tarts®, Bea Arthur is still a hottie, and cheez-its® are still made from the bones of the stillborn.

So much for your "Small monitor" theory.

bullet2.gif

There's a noodle in my streudel, and it's name is Minky Boodle. -- Space Ghost

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
/me wishes he had 20/1 or better vision... ;)

bullet2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>To alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Omega-Seven

Apr 17, 2000
none.yet
can anyone tell me what this post says? I can't read it, i have eye problems....

jk =)

bullet2.gif

"I see Red (team) people..."

-Jing|PuF|
ngUID:1458562

Vanilla

Hi. My name is Vanilla. I'm an IHaholic.
Jan 30, 2000
San Diego,CA USA
every1 in my family wears glasses, including me. i dont know about any comp/eye problems, but all our moniters are pretty new. My eye doc said the compdoesnt really affect our vision... oh well.

bullet2.gif

The world's best quote:
"Boom!" -Boom|PuF
;)

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
I hav no y problms at all. Sorry I missd out th lttr aftr d, but th ky sms to b 4000 mils away.

bullet2.gif

If anyon discovrs what th Univrs is for, and why it is hr, it will instantly disappar and be replacd by somthing vn mor bizarrly inxplicabl.

[This message has been edited by Sam_The_Man (edited 06-16-2000).]

The_Dudester

Surfing the edge of underconfidence.
Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
It's a well known, and true, fact that doing lots of close-up detail work (i.e. reading, embriodery --- things where you have things close to your eyes for a long time) when young leads to a higher chance of short-sightedness when older.
So I'm not surprised by some of the stuff about monitors...

bullet2.gif

The Zen Master Basho was weighing out flax when some of his monks chanced across him.
A monk asked Basho, "What is Buddha-nature?"
Basho replied, "Three pounds of flax."

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
To clarify this a bit...staring at small monitors or small details within the monitors causes something similiar to tunnel vision. However, they are speaking about "long" periods of concentrated focus.

Morety, this effects visual perception. Not, perception of reality...unless your CHRYSt. He seems to have lost it :).

bullet2.gif

[Ci]Prophetus][PuF][

CAPTURE! Home of CTF map reviews, strategies and Forums.