MonsterHunt: Challenge

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
There are some players who think they're all that. They are the Gods of ut99 and there's no one badder.

Oddly, you will often find thee people in games online chatting in a corner while everyone else is fighting the monsters.

For those players that think MH is getting old and all the thrill has gone from the game, I challenge them to grab one of those mutators that makes it so the only weapon they have to fight with is a sword or a lightsaber and try it again.
000zbbhs.gif

Not so tough now, are you?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, when I used to play frequently it was on a server which had the mod on the highest settings, no stupid options such as recharging weapons/health/udamage-megahealth gifts etc. And no stupid nuke shooting tentacles bullshit etc. or that annoying superskaarj in mh-ataa0 iirc.

Just plain vanilla. Took some time getting used to, but it was more fun than those typical hyper spam maps ...

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I started vanilla and played most this way, but never really bothered with the highest skills. Godlike made a big difference.

Only time I played with super health and high ammo load was in akcoop. But that was really necessary :D

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I'm working up a back-to-the-basics update to MH2 that removes all the overpowered crap that has ruined MH lately. It's aimed at a solid, mid-range server not seeded with mega weapons or mods that let you play maps solo and not be in danger once. Hopefully players will enjoy a scaled back (but solidly running) MH2 server setup. It's time to go back to normal weapons with full control of how much health the bosses have, the main reason the overpowering began in the first place. Too many servers have super-flak, reloading redeemer, and applecrispy as loadouts. It's nothing but a damn race to the finish and it's no fun to play.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Yes, as well as many, many fixes for them including automatic carcass cleanup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9nrxlUMAPg
(which along with some other mod settings will virtually remove the CanSeeMe crash). Monster skill is fixed, as well as proper shadows for them. Monsters are made tough like they should be without becoming overpowered. The monster infighting is fixed solidly and they will set aggression properly to the players now. Monster health limits (if set) are handled properly even for spawned monsters.
Speaking of which the factories are forced correct now, the skaarj class was cleaned up a bit more to finally fix the weapon bug, and I even added an automatic translator. All the old translatorevents that are scattered around the maps that you never knew were there you will now see them as a small (!) symbol and when close enough you can read them without any keybinding.
Some precaching was added to help spawn lag, and the force to red team is fixed now too ;)

Credits: Huge thanks to Nelsona for the help with most of this. He's been ever so quietly testing and improving the base MH mod and much of these changes reflect his hard work.

The mod is in testing and I'm checking for the rest of the access nones to clear them. It might be ready in a week or so. It's optimized quite a bit so that it should run very well even on a junk(ish) home server.

Let me reiterate that this is done specifically for 'normal' servers. You just are not going to be happy if you start tossing on super weapons and crazy stuff. Instead scale back the max monster health and enjoy hunting the way it was meant to be. It's not much of a hunt if a warshell is leading the hunting party.

Fuzz_Ball

Aug 18, 2010
AZUSA
Cool - We had talked about this briefly not long ago.
I'm looking forward to testing and hopefully implementing this!
I've been not as UT active lately but I'm back.
Do you need a test dummy?