Basic Cylinder Q

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Hi Taraquin,

using the deafult cylinder the vertices of the brush dont confirm to the gird (1). this is a pain in the butt for alignment. Is there any way in which I could have the default cylinder build somethin that makes sure all vertices are on the gird (2).

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com

look below for how I would like to see the brush come out.

NOTE
://=============================================================================
// ConeBuilder: Builds a 3D cone brush, compatible with cylinder of same size.
//=============================================================================

// TorusBuilderTarquin: Builds a 3D torus brush.
// compatible with cylinder of same size in both axes.
// version 1.0
// (c) 28/12/2000 Tarquin
// tarquindarkling@bigfoot.com

So the code for these would have to be changed.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
two replies before I even get here! w00t!
I get it... but then it wouldn't be a true cylinder, some sides would be shorter than others.

hmmm. (pondering)
For an 8-gon it's quite easy to use the 2D editor to make the cross-section, but deciding which vertices to use is the trick, it'll never looks quite right.

simplest thing in the code would be to round all the numbers up / down to the nearest grid size, though I'm not sure how it would work in practice. I'll have a play around & post here.

There isn't a Tarquin Cone builder... but I'm working on a Pyramid builder that lets you have lots of levels.

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Yeah see thats the point I dont want to have to make the shape in the 2dedtitor - yes I already have a base shape that I keep - all vertices on the gird naturally :D

but revolving / scaling / extruding - I dont get the perfect measurements - how about a 96 radius cylinder - that takes a little doing

another problem is when I use the show/hide actors. cause it always get screwed since the cylinder is not on the gird

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Originally posted by Machismo
another problem is when I use the show/hide actors. cause it always get screwed since the cylinder is not on the gird

:confused: I don't get that! what doe the grid have to do with hiding actors?

I'll look into it next tiem I'm scripting, but I'm not sure if it'll be any good: rounding up the numbers may cause some prety weird shapes.

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Gird & Hiding actors

when i do a ctrl+alt+left drag and do a selection a slight movement from the mose sends all the alignment to hell unlike the cube brushes :(

cause the brush tries to snap to vertex.

turning off vertex snapping still doesnt help

[edit]
yes I'm a torus lover myself :D

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
thanks for explaining. I've just run UEd and I've made some cubes and moved them off-grif, I have to say ALT+CTRL selecting doesn't move them at all. Are you running the latest version?
Right-clicking on a vertex with snap ON will click the whole brush so that vertex is on the grid.

If the cylinder brush's pivot is at its centre & the centre is on-grid then the brush will think it's aligned & there shouldn't be a problem.

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Originally posted by tarquin
thanks for explaining. I've just run UEd and I've made some cubes and moved them off-grif, I have to say ALT+CTRL selecting doesn't move them at all. Are you running the latest version?
Right-clicking on a vertex with snap ON will click the whole brush so that vertex is on the grid.

If the cylinder brush's pivot is at its centre & the centre is on-grid then the brush will think it's aligned & there shouldn't be a problem.

Who me not run the latest ver that would be a shame :D

Up been usin UT436 from the day of its release :D

I always do reset pivot if I have any problems select the itsy bitsy teeney weeney pivot and right click so that the cylinders povot is on the gird. but thats the point when I have a lotta cylinders its just not possible to keep tabs of them like that :(.

the vertices on the gird would solve the problem :)

tell me if I'm bugging u and I'll leave :D