Poll: Best controller for UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FenderTX

Dec 6, 1999
Texas
Visit site
heres my killer setup:

F12 Key - Backward

Left Control - Forward

Right Bracket - Left

Q - Right

Button 1 on the mouse selects the green blob gun

Button 2 on the mouse says "Engage according to operational parameters"

Recently i developed a nasty case of carpal tunnel syndrome so I haven't had a chance to play much lately but when I have partial use of hands I find that to be a very effective setup

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
rotgut,

at first the PXL seems weird, and im sure when u first gripped it thought "how the hell can u play with this thing??" well thats how everyone feels at first but since u said u like the trackball you should like this controller. it takes practice to master. average is about a month of solid playing. you gotta be willing to put time into it to learn it. but once u master it you wont wanna play with anything else. (my personal opinion)

Cicero

FenderFX: wow, what an excellent setup! I have to give that a try. You know what might be even better is binding a key to an alias that randomly changes your movement keys, that way you wouldn't get carpal tunnel as bad because your fingers would be moving to different parts of the keyboard when your keys all got remapped. Also, you should bind the entire numpad to "jump". That way when you need to jump, you can just whack the numpad with your entire hand and you'll be sure to get a jump off.

/~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Sachiel

Nov 29, 1999
Visit site
Hey FenderTX, I just tried your setup and it works pretty darn good. But only when I pull the keys off the keyboard and rearrange them so that they're close to each other /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Gamemaster

Dec 8, 1999
Visit site
The best controller for UT is the keayboard and mouse combo. Most people play with this. Also, inverted mouse is only personal choice it doesnt affect game playing.

Watchdog

Nov 29, 1999
windsor, ontaio, canada
Visit site
voyd I'd would love to Dm with you (not to proove if jotstick is superioe, but just to see if I can tell a diff in player movement, aiming quickness, etc), but since im doing my thesis for the next two weeks I have not had a good chance to play UT, but if you play halflife I'd love to play against the notorious PantherXL

Bleys

Nov 27, 1999
NY, NY, USA
Visit site
I am very surprised nobody has given a spaceorb 360 testimonial so I guess I will. First my background: Started playing Descent with a Joystick. Went nutz with Descent 2 still using a Joystick. Quake 2 became a fetish and still I was with my faithful sidewinder. Now the problem with a joy like that is the "mouselooking". Because of the sensitivity of the stick it was very difficult to do fine targeting. Forget sniping. I was pretty good with it but new that mouse/key was more flexible. I personally don't dig mouse/key but I agree it is a devastating way to play. Well, my Joystick went belly up on me and I was jonesing so hard to play some Unreal and Quake that I hooked up my Spaceorb 360 that I had gotten free with Forsaken many moons earlier. Well, after a bit of an adjustment time I found that I could now hold my own with the mouse/key guys. The Spaceorb rocks better than any controller I have seen out there. The Dual Strike from Microsoft takes a que from the orb with its motion control but it doesnt do it as well. You can buy the Spaceorb directly from Labtec and there are spo files still being created for games. I am jamming in Unreal Tournament with it. Check out my stats, my number is 19703. I am not the best mind you but I think I hold my own. To check out the orb go to http://www.labtec.com/product/profile/index.cfm?ProductID=154
I can't express enough how good for fps games this device is. The people who do use the Orb never go back to mouse/keyboard and when they do it's invariably a depressing experience. Check out the orb, there is no other controller like it.

bullet2.gif

I am what I am.

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
hey cebu, i bet that your one of those people who grips their controller REALLY hard and presses the buttons REALLY hard. the pantherXL isnt exactly the king of durability but they shouldnt break like that. ive had 2 mishaps with it and none even remotely required me to purchase a new unit. the all too common spring snapped in the base, which was easily replaced by them sending me new ones, and the infamous trigger break. took some crazy glue to it and its now even more solid than original.

hey, if you treat your hardware rough dont expect it to last very long. if your a relaxed person then they will last pretty damn long.

MLaw

Dec 8, 1999
Visit site
That orb thing looks pretty cool. I, however, use the old trackball/WASD combo, not inverted. But I completely agree that given enough time with whatever your control scheme is, you will gain an ease of use with it and start kicking *** like me. =)

Unless, of course, you try to play with, let's say, an old Atari controller (assuming you find a way to connect it to your computer.

bullet2.gif

Laying down the Law.

Cebu

Nov 29, 1999
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
I tried playing with the orb and like I said in my previous post it has a murderous learning curve. I staggered around trying to aim that damn thing and I finally gave up in frustration. It was nice looking and was durable but I just couldn't master it. I spent about 3 days getting killed and I finally went back to the panther xl.

The downside to the panther xl is its durability. Once the joystick breaks on the panther xl it is useless because they are connected together in one unit. I have gone through 4 panther xl's in about a 2 year period. It got so expensive at $59.99 a pop that I finally went and ordered a panther (used to be called the assassin 3d) (stand alone trackball) from madcatz. I then took some velcro tape and mounted it on my computer desk and then attached my favorite joystick to it. It rocks. I have continued to go through joysticks at the rate of about one every 2 months since I play alot of halflife, q2, q1, heretic2, hexen2, but now I just unplug the broken joystick and replace it with a new one.

I have thought about trying the dual strike but after the orb I have my reservations. I have my eye on the new Gravis Dual Control which looks alot like the panther xl and its USB. As of now I have to say that the panther or panther xl is the best on the market. The learning curve is easy and after using it for a while you will never go back to the mouse. GUARANTEED.

bullet2.gif

Rotgut

Nov 18, 1999
Visit site
Sounds like those are common problems though... At least from the posts that have been online here.

I'm going to look at that panther XL again tonight, haven't decided between it or the gravis exterminator.

The gravis has a single thumb wheel kind of thing for aiming, its not exactly a wheel, but I could envision it being extremely accurate with a bit of practice.

I'm also thinking that the less I have to move your hands in terms of hitting keys etc... the better off I'll be.

Rotgut

Cebu

Nov 29, 1999
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
I don't know how many hours a day you play your games, but I play at least 4 hours a day on weekdays and at least 6-8 hours a day on weekends. If you put the hours I do on the panther xl, then it will not hold up. The bottom line is that the panther xl is made in China so it is basically a piece of **** when it comes to craftmanship. As for the joysticks, most of them are pieces of **** too. I've gone through all of them and the best is the ch products. The rest are junk. I think that the panther xl is a great idea but the quality of the product is inferior. The panther trackball is alot more durable and it withstands all of the abuse you can throw at it. I have used one for over 6 months with no problems. I have several friends in the A3D Clan which only uses the panther xl and they have all complained about the durability problem too. I personally will not buy another one and I would not recommend one because of those reasons.

bullet2.gif

THE**WRAITH_DS

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
First off, if you have and discomfort using the mouse, I highly reccomend the Panther XL.. Now for those who don't have any discomfort, I reccomend the Razer boom slang 2000 for its accuracy and speed.... You would be surprised how much different it is compared to your normal mouse.. Now the orb is also pretty good ...

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
8 hours a day? screw that. i play maybe an hour or 2 on some days, none others. but ive used the same one for 8 months and its stood up very well. i dont anticipate having to ever buy another one. i honestly dont know how you can manage to break one beyond repair. what do u do smash it on the floor after you lose a game? oh well. they all say the new Panther Pro USB will be alot better in the durability department.

sabu

Dec 10, 1999
louisville, KY
Visit site
I shelled out the money for a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer. I have improved so much in UT up to six frags per game! If i could marry a piece of hardware, this would be it! a little expensive at 70 bucks, but you can throw out that silly *** mousepad once and for all!

Cebu

Nov 29, 1999
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
Hey Voyd, I'm not an engineer. When the panther xl broke on me I wasn't aware that I could repair it. Anyway I shouldn't have to repair it if it was made with decent parts. I'm sure not going to sit around and wait for madcatz to send me some .10 cent springs and then break open the controller and repair it. By the way, when is the USB version going to come out?? I'm gonna try the Gravis Dual Control.

bullet2.gif

Jealousy is all the fun you think they are having.

Lay down with a dog and you'll get up with fleas on you.

wooly_mammoth

Nov 13, 1999
Visit site
hey Bleys,

I just ordered an orb. Is it gonna be easy to configure it with UT? Any special info I need to know about? What about with Q3A? Thanks in advance.

Ripper-Joe

Dec 11, 1999
Visit site
After reading thru this post I am suprised that no one has tried a setup like mine. I use a mouse (right hand) for looking up-down-left-right, and a joystick (wingman extreme) in my left hand for strafing side to side and moving foward and back. the wingman has two sets of rocker style switches within easy reach of my left thumb. I have one set maped to jump and duck and the other set to weapon select (up and down). I use the two mouse buttons for primary and secondary fire and the joystick trigger for a quick translocator switch (for those times when I back off a cliff while shooting at a persuer). I have been using this setup since the days of Duke Nukem 3D. I may not be a master or anything but I do pretty darn well with this setup. Let me know what you think. ;-)

Harkonis

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
Don't forget, one of the advantages of mouse/keyboard or trackman/keyboard is the ease of switching players, such as LAN parties or such. If you play with others locally it can make a BIG difference.