Graphic Anomalies in UT! ArgghhhH!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pyrran

May 9, 2000
UK
Visit site
Hiya,

I've been having severe problems getting UT to run correctly on a system I have here.

TMC T15VG+ mobo w/1MB cache (VIA chipset)
AMD-K6-3 @ 400
Creative TNT2(M64) - (368 drivers)
Win98(fe)
DX7a
UT 4.13
128Mb PC100 SDRAM

The graphic anomalies are kind of difficult to describe but I'll give it go!

When UT first loads and the word "PRECACHING" comes up towards the bottom of the screen in blue, it often has a kind of stippled effect almost like it's badly dithered.

After the precaching is done and the game goes into the cityscape intro, this stippling effect occurs over most of the screen, with the textures flickering in clearly visible sections.

Finally, if I press ESC to skip the intro and go to the UT desktop the menus and "wallpaper" exhibit this same corruption, and if left alone the machine freezes after anything from a few seconds to a minute or two.

Curiously, this only happens if I have 128MB installed in the machine. If I swap the 128MB (single) stick out for one 64MB stick the game runs fine with no corruption and no crashes.

My first thought was a faulty 128MB DIMM, but I've ruled this out as I've tried three different sticks, even one from my main machine which has been serving me fine for several months now.

The 128MB DIMM causes no problems in every other D3D title I have tried, including 3DMark2000, Expendable.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what could be causing the problem! Has anyone else come accross this before? Is there a known problem with UT on K6-3 CPU's? Is the 1MB "Level 3" cache on the mobo causing probs?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated as this particular machine isn't mine, it's a friend's, and he's itching to get it back home and start kicking butt in UT! ;-)

Regards,

Pyrran.

Pyrran

May 9, 2000
UK
Visit site
Further to my recent post...

I've now cured the problem with the earlier version of d3ddrv.dll (6 I believe).

Curious though how the problem only manifests itself when 128MB is installed...

Weird!!

Pyrran

Spectre_I

May 2, 2000
www.clanks.org
Hiya,

This is out of the Readme for 4.13. Sounds like your problem. I had the same thing, and this fix worked for me. Give it a try.

"We have seen an instance of a GeForce 256 displaying many world polygons flashing and flickering. If this happens for you, press TAB type "preferences" to bring up the advanced options menu. Then set UseVideoMemoryVB to True in the Direct3D Render Device options. "

bullet2.gif

Spectre_I
"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid" - John Wayne.