Unreal Tournament Revolution

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Yes, I probably thought about that possibility. You know, you interrupt yourself before you think and then you *know* what conclusions you would have come to. So much said, so little changed.

What about just converting some major things from UT to UT2k4 and then maybe polish them up a bit? Some kind of total conversion. Then maybe a weapons mutator for regular game types. Yes, there will be difficulties when it comes to what should be included, what should be altered and other things. For instance I know there are glitches in UT that would not serve any purpose to bring back in a mod for UT2k4. The fundamental idea would be transforming UT to a better interface where it works smoother and looks better due to basic graphic capabilities.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I have a sturdy 512 MB RAM and a hyped out single core processor... Thanks to the GeForce 7 series I haven't even dreamed of committing suicide. I am seriously considering reinstalling UT2k4 to play anything from the Unreal universe again.
512? No wonder your load times suck... Seriously, get some more RAM. You can get 4 GB of DD2-800 RAM for like $130. It's piss cheap.

As for slapping UT weapons in... it just wouldn't work with the 2kx playstyle. Double dodging and Dodge jumping would mess with a lot of things, and a Total Conversion is, pretty much, what UTR was. :p

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
You can disable double jumping... That disables dodge jumping as well... Though I like those, it feels like I were an anvil in UT99 or something, lol. And yes, we are talking about UTR eh? :) Would be actually nice to see UT99 style in UT2 series.
And hey, the low-end machine here has 512 and it was really cool those days... This one also has an internal 64MB graphics card... And still everything up to UT3 works here (U2 is laggy though). 64bit machines aren't so good... UT99 hates 'em.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
My motherboard supports only RAMBUS memory and AGP graphics cards, no PCIe at all. So I need a new motherboard as well. I won't invest in another AGP motherboard so I'll need a new GeForce too. Why not buy myself a new computer then, this one works perfect for a lot of things except UT3? A brand new computer, that's sweet. I better cough up a chunk of cash.

Regarding UTR, we better start a new project instead from scratch, basically importing weapons, characters and maps from UT. Call it Unreal Tournament Game and make "dots" in Epic Forums do it. I smile a lot by the way.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Umm, isn't starting a new project the same as doing it from scratch? :) And the name is confusable, maybe something like Classic Tournament pack?

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I used that name just for fun and because someone else made an Unreal Game modification before. A real good mod I must say. I was thinking that person stood behind UTR as well but maybe I'm wrong to assume that.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
This will be another one of those double post bumps.

As far as I can see, the classic Unreal mod for UT2k4 was a hit. Link

Basically it's a port of Unreal into UT2k4, nothing fancy really, even thou it plays and looks great. It's very fun too.

You need a coder, so just recruit one. The idea is still the same, just to port Unreal Tournament to UT2k4. It doesn't have to be altered in any way.

I'm a programmer, so why don't I learn UnrealScript. I got nothing better to do at the moment.

UT3 is still too high-end for most gamers today anyway so there are still room for more UT2k4 mods.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Basically it's a port of Unreal into UT2k4, nothing fancy really, even thou it plays and looks great. It's very fun too.

Yep, I got it and loved it. :) And yes while I can still play Unreal DM using the Old Skool mod, it's still fun to play UT2K4 maps with U1 weapons. Same with the XMP weapons mutator GreatEmreald just released.

If you want a UT1 style mod right now then give Nostalgia 2006 a try. It's a mutator and only a couple weapons have UT1 meshes but it really does play like UT1 including the HUD.

UT3 is still too high-end for most gamers today anyway so there are still room for more UT2k4 mods.

It's true, it's it's also extremely hard. I know because I've been working on a mod for a few years that still hasn't gotten off the ground. :( There's room for basic stuff like gametypes and mutators but doing TC stuff thakes way too much time and effort. Especially right now when UT2004 is now a niche game (just like UT3 is)

I'm not giving up hope because I may consider doing a Generations style mod. Only using existing assets from previous games since as we learned it takes too much time to recreate weapons and stuff from stratch.

(And yes I really do wish things went better for the UTR team...)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yeap, like I've said on the Epic forums, we have U1, U2, UT2004 weapons, now we need UT3 and the left UT ones. Some weapons are in UT2C, like the Flak Cannon.