Mod question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nubeh

Jan 31, 2008
I want to start a mod with some friends but we still have lots of doubts about what we can do with UEd 3 editor or Ued2 Runtime and so on. Basically we want to create a multiplayer game with custom textures, models and sounds that is not a shooter actually but more a game with a deep communication system (long story...). I was wondering how powerful the UnrealScript is for this kind of things, we need to implement 3 teams instead of just 2, a special chat system with some predefined commands to send messages among those 3 teams, create some kind of score system where players get points for some tasks he does (and prevent other kind of players to use the same trigger for that task), a UI with text messages, a mini map of the level that shows where the player is. We also need to change the player models of Ued since we want models more on HL2 realistic style but we don't know how easy is to implement animations on new models (can we use the animations of UT?). Is it also possible to easily import models from Garry's mod websites (since they often have the 3dMax file with them)?

thanks for the answers

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
you can change player models, weapon models, textures, custom sounds (custom sounds don't work for PS3 though)...

I think you can do what you said if you're experienced enough.

don't forget that there are tutorials for the unreal editor around the internet.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
if you're willing to learn what it takes you can replace pretty much everything that doesnt directly tie into native C++
code. You can do pretty much all of those things. The only catch is if you want it to play on PS3 you can't use custom sounds due to the proprietary audio codec used on the ps3 that they can't release to allow custom sounds. Also on the ps3 everything has to be compiled into a single package (if I understand correctly) which may make larger-scale mods more difficult. You can replace the PC main menu, but you can't replace the PS3 main menu (However you can set up a link that takes you to your mod's main menu).

Last edited:

Kou

Augmentations > You
From personal experience, it seems like UnrealScript is a branch of Java/C++. If you know either language, you can really get deep into the coding. I myself am in the midst of a mod right now and I must say that if you build up from scratch (i.e. a total conversion mod) you can make anything.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
He's talking about using the runtime. That's Unreal Engine 2 - not 3.

It's in the wrong forum. It's not portable to the PS3.

Everything he's asked for is probably doable in the runtime, although it is more likely better to create new meshes than try to reuse ones designed for HL2.

Finally, just to dash some hopes.

It is illegal to create a game using the UE2 runtime - you can't do any of that anyway.

Nubeh

Jan 31, 2008
ok, thanks for the answers. My only concern now is if it's better to use Unreal 2 or 3. 2 is of course more documented than 3 but I guess that lots of scripting things are the same and can be reused in 3 right? Unfortunately I just started to do some tutorials of UEd 3 but I don't know how much better than 2 it is. And by the way, with the editor I can create a level and so on but what if I want to create a mod with a title, an intro screen and so on (something like you do in Source using the Source SDK) is it possible with just the UEd 3? I saw also some source classes for mods on the web but I think they are for UEd 2 and not for 3 and actually I haven't quite understood how to use them.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Can you cite ref. I'm crushed D:

Dude just go on the Epic boards ... this is a well known fact ... references are all over the place. This is why map makers sometimes have to make 2 copies of their levels ... one with the custom music for PC players and then one for the PS3 with the game music.

Also not every level created for the PC will even work on the PS3. If a level uses a huge amount of custom meshes and is very large and somewhat slow even on heavy duty rigs then there is a chance it won't load on the PS3. There have been a couple of levels like this so far.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
I see, the fact that pc/ps3 versions exist of most maps on the Epic boards w/o a single explanation why this is necessary, just generally accepted and sometimes requested, is an obvious reference to custom sounds not working in ps3.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Yeah, Sony has a proprietary sound format that they use on the Ps3, and aren't willing to allow non-developers to use it, thus preventing UT3 mods from having custom sound.

ok, thanks for the answers. My only concern now is if it's better to use Unreal 2 or 3. 2 is of course more documented than 3 but I guess that lots of scripting things are the same and can be reused in 3 right? Unfortunately I just started to do some tutorials of UEd 3 but I don't know how much better than 2 it is. And by the way, with the editor I can create a level and so on but what if I want to create a mod with a title, an intro screen and so on (something like you do in Source using the Source SDK) is it possible with just the UEd 3? I saw also some source classes for mods on the web but I think they are for UEd 2 and not for 3 and actually I haven't quite understood how to use them.

You're confusing UnrealEd (UEd-X) with UnrealEngine (UE-X).

Unreal Engine 3 uses UnrealEd 4, so you need to pay attention to the terminology.

The scripting language and basic tools are the same, but the implementation and techniques used between Unreal Engine 2 (UEd 3) and Unreal Engine 3 (UEd 4) tend to often be quite different.

Nubeh

Jan 31, 2008
mmm, so Unreal Editor 3 is not used by Epic? Or it was used for older games?