Steam Game Investments

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how much money did you invest on your Steam game collection? Also to you, how much is too much for you to spend on a download-only service, when it is possible for it to go down permanently, thus not letting you access your games (I hope that Valve has a contingency plan in case something like that does happen.)?

I know I have spent roughly in the low to mid $100-$200 range.

If you are curious on what games I have for Steam just look for "Zxanphorian" in the Steam community.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I would have no problem spending more on Steam than on physical game disks, but I don't have a limit on those either, if I like the game I'll buy it. Anyways with Steam you can go both ways with some games, buy the disk then register on Steam. I'm not worried about Steam shutting down and losing all my games cause without Steam I end up not ever playing the games again or losing the cd key or disk anyways.

How much have I spent so far on only downloads? Zero, might as well get the disks too when possible right? :p

Last edited:

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
29.99 for dawn of war platinum and 49.99 for the orange box i think?

i agree, i hope they well remain active for at least another 30 years (or more). least i've got a lot of fun out of my purchases so far :)

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
Ignoring stuff like the HLs which (aside from with the Orange Box) I bought in stores, probably a bit under 100 dollars. I usually grab **** when the deals are really nice. Like the Jagged Alliance 2/Disciples 2 bundle (even if JA2 doesn't work) or SEIV (mainly because the dumbasses I was going to play with refuse to use SEV).

I periodically do a back-up with the Steam thing. My key requirement before I bought HL2 was to make sure Steam could be cracked. Now, with **** like Pac Steam out, I don't have any worries. I figure, I go through more of a hassle to play my old 486 games than I would to just run a cracked version of Steam (when the server inevitably goes bye bye).

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
$0. I have physical copies of all mine. I might buy Audiosurf, but then again, I don't see myself playing it too much, so probably not. :p

CyberSirius

Mostly dead.
Jan 4, 2004
10$ US and CAD, for Garry's mod.

If you count physical disks: 70$CAD + what's above.

That's for HL (and everything which comes with it) and GOTY HL2 (with HL2: DM, CS:S and HL:S)

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
All the halflife stuff starting at HL2 and Bioshock, so, $150? Something like that. I generally pick up PC games on sale as I generally don't have the opportunity to play them as often as I'd like (when I do get the time I start with games that have been out longest, which generally=cheapest). Ones I've bought off the bat (crysis, COD 4, etc.) haven't been offered on Steam. It's a good service though. Keeps things up to date, which I like.

~Jason

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
I've bought Audiosurf and Garry's Mod on steam, and I have physical copies of The Orange Box & HalfLife 2.

steamgames.jpg

The game updating is kinda borked on steam, the pic says Audiosurf is downloading, while it allready is installed.. :con:

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Like $50 for orange box and thats about it, hl1+2 I bought in the shops, mind you my hl2 copy is borked. I did actually install hl2 from an old backup I had a year or so back but now steam does have the ability to backup to a disc. I do plan on doing that sometime so I can atleast play the SP games I have in offline mode, does kinda suck for lans though if it does go down. Oh you have to login to go offline mode do you?

It would suck though, valve better have a backup plan I tell ya :p

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
The game updating is kinda borked on steam, the pic says Audiosurf is downloading, while it allready is installed.. :con:
you need to pause the download then un-apuse it ;)

I have a physical copy of HL2, bought portal through steam then TOB by the same way. :)

Av4tar

Jan 19, 2008
Victoria, Australia.
So far (call me crazy), I have spent over $650 AUD on my account, which is about $589.428 USD. Number of games total: 63 :O. If you want to check, Look for Av4tar216 on Steam ID.
^_^

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
My Audiosurf does the same thing. I think there might be some sort of update or something and it hangs during the download.

Steam Games I bought physical copies of:
Half-Life 2
The Orange Box

So $130 there, I bought the collector's HL2 (and I still have the tshirt :lol:)

Steam Games I purchased on Steam:
Half Life 2: Episode 1
Audiosurf
Red Orchestra: Ostfront '41 - '45

I'm not sure how much Episode 1 cost when it came out. I'm guessing like $30-40? Assuming $40 for Ep 1, Audiosurf at $10, and $20 for RO, that's $70.

So about $200 altogether over the course of several years.

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
Through Steam it's self, about £40 including VAT.

That's for:

X2
X3
Portal
Half-Life Source
Garry's Mod

And I have the following on disc:

Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Episode 1
The Orange Box
Opposing Force
Blue Shift
Counter-Strike
Unreal
Unreal 2
UT 99
UT 2004
UT 3

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Portal and TF2. Considering you get them through Steam anyway if you buy them in stores.

I just like having my games in proper boxes and whatnot. The only other game I bought online recently was Sins of a Solar Empire, and that doesn't have an European distributor yet - and I'm too lazy to organize anything when buying online works like that.