Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I can't say enough good things about Cube. Love the movie. Was unaware that it was a book.
Sorry that was just me cutting corners on my writing.

Originally Posted by Manticore

A film that does paranoia pretty well is Cube and it appears to me that they were trying to lift some of the edgy tension and atmosphere from that book of rules on making edgy films loaded with paranoia.

Skyline-6/10

A massive special effects film about being invaded from space. It appears as if a lot of the alien design was done by guys that worked on the Matrix films. If not it's a close rip.

It seemed to be a bit Invaders From Mars, a bit War of the Worlds and a bit Independence Day.

That being said it came across like a special effects demonstration film. While the story wasn't a total disaster it left me hanging in the end as if I should be expecting something more. It reminds me of the story arcs that they use in television series pilot episodes. It ended up feeling as if it wasn't quite finished.

Law Abiding Citizen-7/10

Quite a good thriller. Not groundbreaking but had enough good stuff in it to keep me interested. I did wonder about some potential holes in the plot. Not bad though...

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
Harry Potter and the deathly hallows: 7.5-7.8/10

Well, i new it was gonna happen. When i and my mates were waiting on the line to get to the movie theater, i commented with one of them that this movie would be a major dawdling (not sure if that's the word), and indeed it was. I haven't read the book, but i am sure these two last movies could have been squeezed into a single one. I felt they spent too much time unnecessarily on not-so-relevant stuff. By the end of movie i felt it had been too superficial. And all that was probably because they knew they could make a lot more money than they did if there was a single movie.

By the end of the movie, when Dobby dies, Harry says he wants to bury him. When he said that, we said "If we see a scene of Potter burying him, within the next seconds, we'll be sure this movie is just stalling..."
Well, i don't need to say what happened next.

What was that scene of Potter and Hermione kissing?! It was something i didn't expect, it felt out place. By the next scene i got that feeling that it was kinda contrived.

Despite this, that movie was very entertaining, I like a lot this Harry Potter universe. It had some very good (and few) action scenes and all, but one thing i didn't get, what was up with all that fright stuff?? I mean, there was plenty of scenes clearly meant to scare the audience, something i didn't see a lot on the other movies, there was people jumping outta their seat :lol:

Oh...Bill Nighy. I can't look at this guy without picturing Davy Jones. He's ALL Davy Jones, this guy is just great :D

Good movie, it's worth watching, but could've been better.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
What was that scene of Potter and Hermione kissing?! It was something i didn't expect, it felt out place. By the next scene i got that feeling that it was kinda contrived.
Two explanations for this occurrence
1: The part of Voldemort was trying to take advantage of Ron's worst fears.

2. Fanservice. I have not read any fanfictions, but I can assume there is a giant mob of teenage fangirls who wish that Harry and Hermione would get together in the end.

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
Two explanations for this occurrence

SPOILER

1. It is right. It was supposed to be about Ron's worst fears, as said in the movie, but the way they pictured it in the big screen was like "woow"

2. Not really probable as this scene was written in the book. What i read is that in the book it only show their faces and then they kiss, very simple. Don't really think her writing has much of the fan's influence as per some of the history facts and events.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
127 Hours - 7.5/10

Honestly I don't think this movie could have been any better given the subject matter. Danny Boyle is a directing genius, and the cinematog and editing throughout this movie is brilliant. He managed to make a movie about a dude trapped under a rock interesting, and that's not easy to do.

The amputation scene had people in the theater going nuts. He reaches a particular nerve with his knife and it makes this god awful shrieking sound when he touches it. Eventually he just yanks the f*cking thing and it snaps. Props to the sound guy for that one.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
True Lies-7/10

This was Arnie at the height of his Hollywood powers before things started to go south and he started making out and out lame comedies.

In a way this is sort of the forgotten James Cameron film... sort of. A great performance from Jamie Lee Curtis; she's a real trouper.

Always fun to revisit.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
X-men Origins Wolverine 4/10

The leads are good enough but they cannot overcome a flabby script and leaden direction. The film could easily have been a third shorter. There was the odd good action scene but not that many.

Die Another Day 4/10

The weakest of Pierce Brosnan's outings by a large margin. We expect outlandish and improbable in a Bond movie but this one took things too far. Some scenes are good but the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

Last edited:
Die Another Day 4/10

The weakest of Pierce Brosnan's outings by a large margin. We expect outlandish and improbable in a Bond movie but this one took things to far. Some scenes are good but the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

What's funny here is that twenty years before this film, Bond was in space.

I didn't think much of this one either, but it's somehow more entertaining than Tomorrow Never Dies, at least. That's one thing I can say about it that's positive. But then again, Madonna. In either case, I still consider Diamonds to be the worst bond.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
What's funny here is that twenty years before this film, Bond was in space.
Which would be Moonraker? A film whose only point of congruence with the book was the title - because a 20-ish year old book had dated so badly even then (something about launching thinly disguised V2s at London).

With Die Another Day, the deal breaker was the invisible car. After that, it became to hard to do the willing suspension of disbelief.

I think I could have put up with the invisible car if the story was a little more...well let's just say it, the problem with that movie more than anything else was volume. It was like someone had watched every Bond movie ever made and said, "I'll make a Bond movie about all of those!"

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
True Lies-7/10

This was Arnie at the height of his Hollywood powers before things started to go south and he started making out and out lame comedies.

In a way this is sort of the forgotten James Cameron film... sort of. A great performance from Jamie Lee Curtis; she's a real trouper.

Always fun to revisit.

No the forgotten James Cameron film is Piranha 2

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Harry Potter 7 pt1 - 7/10

Pretty good, couldn't stop myself from laughing at Nighy's extreme closeup speech in the beginning. I don't quite see the necessity for a part 2 though, they could easily have cut some of the dialogue scenes to make room for the other half of the book. That being said though, it didn't feel nearly as empty as the last movie.

On the plus side, the visual part of the movie was pretty well made and as much as I hate to say it. It it indeed darker than the previous one ;P. What impressed me most was the way they did the scene when they read from a book.

Overall acting was fine,
I'm glad the evil blonde kid (Draco?) didn't get much screentime cause quite frankly he sucks, disappointed that Bill Nighy and Brendan Gleeson died so soon, but then again I haven't read the book

I was also slightly annoyed at all the names they mentioned that I didn't recognize and all the time they spent in that tent -.-, jeez!

with all these negative points, 7/10 might seem a bit too much, I'm a sucker for the visual parts :p

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
they could easily have cut some of the dialogue scenes to make room for the other half of the book

I haven't read the book

wut

Still though, I agree since they were able to put the other books into a single movie. What really pissed me off is how they took out the huge castle battle scene in the --edited out--(damn it I can't remember what book it happens in and wiki isn't helping, either 5 or 6) movie. Oh well, at least they will have enough time to do the battles right in the last half of this book. Maybe that's why they did 2 parts, aside from milking it of course.

Btw if you think the time they spent in that tent in the movie was bad, stay far away from the book. :lol: I was wondering how they would adapt that into a movie and keep it interesting.

Last edited:

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
wut

Still though, I agree since they were able to put the other books into a single movie. What really pissed me off is how they took out the huge castle battle scene in the --edited out--(damn it I can't remember what book it happens in and wiki isn't helping, either 5 or 6) movie. Oh well, at least they will have enough time to do the battles right in the last half of this book. Maybe that's why they did 2 parts, aside from milking it of course.

Btw if you think the time they spent in that tent in the movie was bad, stay far away from the book. :lol: I was wondering how they would adapt that into a movie and keep it interesting.

There was a battle in a castle in this Harry Potter movie, maybe it's the one you're referring to? :p
harry, hermione and ron are taken to a castle where they are greeted by malfoy and bellatrix, a little while later there's a fight when one of those little creatures tries to help harry and the rest of them to escape

Hah yeah, one of the friends I went to see the movie with told me that pretty much 90% of the first half of the book took place in that tent, I'm glad they cut it down a bit at least.

Oh and while I haven't read the book, some of my friends have been going on and on about it every since they read it so I'm pretty familiar with exactly what happens and when :p

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
There was a battle in a castle in this Harry Potter movie, maybe it's the one you're referring to? :p
harry, hermione and ron are taken to a castle where they are greeted by malfoy and bellatrix, a little while later there's a fight when one of those little creatures tries to help harry and the rest of them to escape

Hah yeah, one of the friends I went to see the movie with told me that pretty much 90% of the first half of the book took place in that tent, I'm glad they cut it down a bit at least.

Oh and while I haven't read the book, some of my friends have been going on and on about it every since they read it so I'm pretty familiar with exactly what happens and when :p

Nah, that was just a small battle in a mansion. At the end of Half-Blood Prince (cont.)
when Dumbledoor is killed, some of the students and teachers battle it out with the death eaters in Hogwarts.

(I edited this post for spoiler reasons and I confused some of the events during this battle with other events, I remember the battle being bigger than it was when I just checked.)

Last edited:

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Yojimbo - 8/10
Sergio Leone's classic Fistful of Dollars is a loose remake of Yojimbo, but set in the west rather than pre-industrial Japan. If you liked Fistful of Dollars, you would probably enjoy Yojimbo. Though there are differences, both for better and worse, it remains an excellent plot with an excellent cast of characters. And Toshiro Mifune is easily as awesome as Clint Eastwood. Yojimbo is easily the most approachable of the Akira Kurosawa films I've seen yet.

Seven Samurai - 8/10
Even though the film is a three and a half hour commitment, and I wouldn't recommend watching it in one sitting, it is well worth your time. The character development, in particular, took me by surprise. All of the acting is solid, and for the number of characters within the plot, I'm pleased almost all felt individual, with unique fears and goals. The action is about what you would expect of a film from 1954, but there's not much that takes you out of the experience entirely.

Rashomon - 7/10
Unlike Seven Samurai and Yojimbo, this one wouldn't be enjoyed by as many people. The plot is ambiguous at its core, letting the audience decide what actually happened. It is mostly well done, and the use of frame narrative is a nice change of pace, but it's definitely not a film for everyone. My main criticism is that the acting quality was inconsistent. The priest, woodcutter, and the commoner all do an excellent job providing the frame, but the characters within the frame feel somewhat flat and bland.

Last edited:
Into the Wild 9/10

I caught this movie on TV and staid for a couple minutes to enjoy the great scenery. ten minutes later I was back on the channel playing this gem.

Synopsis, a young guy leaves everything behind to go chase his dream of going to Alaska. You dont need to know more.

A great movie for sure. It's based on a true story too. Google Christopher McCandless. I agree with the 9/10 rating. If you liked that movie I also recommend Gerry. It's a movie with a similar theme.. perhaps not as good but still a great film.

Saw a couple of the newer ones recently...

Red - 8/10.

I saw Red too. Liked it, I give it a 7.5 out of 10 as it was a little generic, still a great movie though.

Salt - 8/10
I think angelina jolie just gives me bonaire so I'm probably biased.