Doom 3, Your Opinion Of It

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
Right, and that's why they have high tech plasma guns and chainguns and prototype BFG 9000's going around the base, locked up in security lockers and checkpoints, not counting the increased security from weird sightings and crap. Also, it's in the military's best interest to guard the UAC anyway as the UAC are the ones providing the future weapons and tech to the military. Look at Area 51. While, true, it's not owned by a corporation, it's still guarded in every possible way.
hey you hear when arnox's brain is gonna come back on?

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I friggen loved Doom 3. I'd agree that some of the scare does wear off as you get further in the game, but some it also came back a bit with introducing the bigger and badder enemies.

Yes, I can understand why people would be annoyed with the fact none of the guns have flashlights but, isn't it pretty obvious why they didn't do that?

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Doom 3 was ok, I guess. The survival horror stylings didn't do much for me. The game felt too slow, and the combat was kind of eh. It looked nice though, and the little computer interfaces were awesome. It was definitely atmospheric, and the bit where the hell portals start opening and everything is going to shit around you and over the radio etc was really well done. It just becomes a bit of a damp squib after that part.

I like the original Doom games a lot, so I would have preferred something like that, but clearly that won't be happening in this day and age. However if Doom 4 at least turns out to be a little more combat-oriented, I'd be ok with that.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Hey guys, knock off the personal attacks. Let's get back to the serious business of discussing videogames.

Anyhow, I really liked DOOM3 for a few reasons:

1. I waited to buy it until it was about $20
2. I like games that let me shoot things and there were plenty of things to shoot
3. id makes pretty decent guns that are fun to shoot (see above)
4. It was long as hell. Maybe a bit too long, but it's nice to complain that a game is too long when no one can be bothered making a fps game that's longer than six hours these days
5. The setting was really cool and the demons were animated very nicely

That's all I needed from it, really.

I also used the flashlight mod because I like being able to see what I'm shooting. I can see both sides of the argument, but I just found it an annoyance that was easily remedied by a mod.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
jesus christ are you fucking stupid the joke was that there are no such devices available because it's a shitty outpost on mars where there are no humans who don't work for UAC why the fuck would they have anything but the bare minimum posting of soldiers to satisfy security requirements? The only thing they'd likely be equipped for is dealing with riots or some other shit. Not full scale warfare.
I don't know if this is partially dealing with what I said, but, frankly, that just sounds retarded. "Hey guys we are in this place where it gets dark and you might need a flashlight to do things but HERE HAVE A GUN THAT YOU CAN'T USE IN DARK AREAS BECAUSE YOU NEED A FLASHLIGHT TO SEE". Makes no sense.

I might try to play through the game again with the flashlight mod since that is probably 75% of what I hated about the game.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Quake 4 is probably what you need to look at. ET:QW is a different engine version. Doom 3 (and Quake 4) are pre-megatextures, I think.

Quake Wars is the one where terrain uses a limited form of virtual texturing (clipmapping). It's not nearly as virtualized as the tech in Rage though.
Everything prior (D3, Q4, Prey) uses standard tiling textures.

DarkBarrage99

Jun 19, 2010
east coast
all the weapons in D3 had an explanation for being there, the pistols and shotguns were there for security guards, the assault rifles were there because of marine training, the chainguns because of Betruger's possession ordering them for his army of chaingun commandos. the grenades and rocket launchers are actually purposed as mining tools, the experimental plasma gun and BFG are from the UAC's experimental weapons wing. the chainsaws are in the game due to a shipping mishap. theres actually a lot of story and info through the game, although you need to read it on the PDA touchpad thing. much of it comedic. :p

personally I liked it, but what really made me love it was the LMS coop mod for campaign and 'invasion' style maps, and also a deathmatch mod and mappack that really expanded the multiplayer in a way similar to Unreal. those addons really took doom 3's meh-ness and turned it into a 5 star game.

I never thought of it as 'scary' unless your afraid of pentagrams, which at times bother me since i was a bit more 'christian' and in my teens when I played it. it did make me jump a lot, and I liked the idea of keeping the flashlight separate, in fact it was like it was designed for coop, having one person with a flashlight and another with a shotgun. it was thrilling seeing the light shining from another angle when your saving a comrade from a demon attack. or when the light is shining from behind and all you see of the monster is it's silhouette and glowing eyes.

I'd love to update my LMS mod and give the campaign another go with a few others. truly an experience that's still stuck with me today.