ChaosUT2 Public Release 1 is coming out very VERY SOON

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
jb said:
I_LoveToKill,
the heartbeat sound is not for you but your eneimes :) That sound is audible to everyone so they know if your close to death and can move in for the kill :) Of course you also can use it to figure out who is low on health and maybe take them out first.

Yeah I know its also so I can hear my enemies, but I would be nice if
I could turn it off so I could not hear my own heartbeat when I was
low, because its very loud and distracting.

jb said:
I_LoveToKill,
Sniper has 2 modes. Normal mode which should act like UT2k3 sniper.

Cool, I will play around with that.

ApostleX3000

unit 3000-21 is warming
Jan 7, 2001
New York
Visit site
PainAmplifier said:
I think I've been running into this issue also....but I really can't say what is causing it. It happens infrequently and not in a specific map or event. But every once in awhile everything just locks up hard and a sound will echo-repeat in the background. I can CTL-ALT-DEL to get back to the task manager (W2k) but its very slow and I can't bring task manager up to kill UT2k3. (White screens)

I played a bit more today and I didn't encounter a lockup yet, so I'll keep an eye out to see if I can notice what triggers it if it does happen again.

(I'd lean towards the sound issue, since I don't grapple and I have the grapple off for the bots...and I used the little guys alot today so I'm not sure if they are the problem.)

Samething here. It seems to only happen if I use the chaos crossbow in stuffswapper or worm2k3. I havent tried using the chaos mute, only the crossbow, which will always lock me up with a sound loop.

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
This happens when you do a headshot with a regular crossbow bolt and hit another player with the very same bolt (not with a head on it). We already have a fix and will make it available soon.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
What's up with releasing Chaos without sword and axe???
This sucks. :(
And make some decent maps plz. :eek:

Last edited:

ApostleX3000

unit 3000-21 is warming
Jan 7, 2001
New York
Visit site
Wormbo said:
This happens when you do a headshot with a regular crossbow bolt and hit another player with the very same bolt (not with a head on it). We already have a fix and will make it available soon.

Glad to hear the bug is indentified and fixed. That crossbow is f-ing sweet.

jb

May 22, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Doc,

the melee weapons are in. Just hidden. We wanted to work on a better melee system then the one we have now. Also the model guys did not have time to make real models yet. So we figured to finnish the melees in the next full release. Sorry we did not have enough time to get them in on this version.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Wormbo said:
But you have to admit that beating people with the Assault Rifle or the Minigun is funny... ;)
NO! It's sad.
I expected a sword and that's why I downloaded Chaos. :rolleyes:

R.Flagg {MoO}

Mar 12, 2001
www.home.earthlink.net
I expected a sword and that's why I downloaded Chaos

We mentioned several times on the site and in our forums and elsewhere that the melee stuff was on hold.

It's sad.

Well, a group of guys worked very hard, for over a year, in their spare time, for free, just to get this far.

Sorry it wasn't what you expected. Guess we owe you an apology?

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
This is awesome, finally I have the game I originally wanted from UT2003.
Very well done. The vortex gun kicks the ion cannons butt. I like every single weapon so far, the grenade launcher is almost as good as the Unreal II one. Multiple arrows = raucous! I miss the flak claw, but I guess the grappler can serve that purpose.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
R.Flagg {MoO} said:
We mentioned several times on the site and in our forums and elsewhere that the melee stuff was on hold.

Well, a group of guys worked very hard, for over a year, in their spare time, for free, just to get this far.

Sorry it wasn't what you expected. Guess we owe you an apology?
No, it's just that you shouldn't released it at all untill all weapons were in game. Why rush it? For the contest?
And correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the sword like a main symbol of chaos?

R.Flagg {MoO}

Mar 12, 2001
www.home.earthlink.net
No, it's just that you shouldn't released it at all untill all weapons were in game.

Welll, you are entitled to your opinion of course, but no way. Of course we aren't going to wait until the mod is totally finished before releasing it. That is not how we did CUT, and that is now how we ever planned to do CUT2.

Why rush it? For the contest?

Well sure, it was rushed a bit for the contest, can you blame us? We were going to make this mod anyway, it's what we do. But if somebody is going to (possibly) reward you for it, why not let them?

And....., it has always been our plan to release in stages, so that folks could have something to play this year, rather than next. The contest deadline just gave us an excuse to pick that date to shoot for.

And...., the melee system was not going in BETA 1, contest or not.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the sword like a main symbol of chaos?

Well, yes and no. We are lucky in the fact that the 'main symbols' of Chaos, depends entirely on who you are talking to. Many players don't give a hoot about the blade.

My reply was a bit sarcastic, and that doesn't help the team at all. My apologies to the team. But I've seen you respond more than once about how we suck, just because the sword is not in the game. There is plenty in there that is wide open for constuctive feedback, pointing out what we could have done better. And we are open for it too.

I just wish that if the best you can do is say it's sad because of no sword, and roll your eyes, that you would jutst please go play your favorite mod, have fun, and leave well enough alone. We got your point, thank you.

And even if not, I'll bite my tongue next time anyway.

ApostleX3000

unit 3000-21 is warming
Jan 7, 2001
New York
Visit site
Sword will come when it comes...no biggie. I'm personaly glad they went ahead with the current release of CUT2, contest or not. Keep up the magic, team chaos!!

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Well, I don't have the time to write a book on ChaosUT2 review. What you should accept is that there will always be ppl that think that your mod sucks (even after years of development) and ppl that think that it rocks.
I personally like many features in it (vortex weapon ownz) but with some (no melees, skin on the crossbow) am largely dissapointed.
Don't think it's a flame! It's just how I see it. Maybe you can learn something from it and change some stuff to better.

jb

May 22, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Doc_EDo,

I understand your points and thanks for your feedback. Chaos means different things to different players. Some assoicate the grapple with Choas, some use the Proxies, ect. The point is we have very big plans and lots of features to add to Chaos. It will take us a long time. How many other mods have promised the stars but not delievered a single thing? We did not want to fall into that trap. The melee posed several issues to work right in a mutator (for example how do you play the swining animations on a standard UT2k3 pawn with out replacing the pawn class). Again its all about resources and fans. We had been working on CUT2 since UT2k3 first shipped. Our fans had been very understanding but they wanted something. So like Flagg said the MSU gave us a goal to shoot for. Besides this version of CUT had much more stuff on it then the GOTYE did so we did give out more this time :)

PainAmplifier

Evil by Example
Ah, just a few personal opinions here after playing some ChaosUT.
First a look at the weapons.

Crossbow:
I sorely miss the Scope from the UT version of the crossbow, although I suppose I can live with the loss. Otherwise damage so far seems OK, although it seems like Adept bots are uncommonly good with them...
I do find the load time for the alt-fire slightly long however, and think it probably should be lowered by 15-25% per arrow given that you cannot hold the arrows. (That and the fact that the spread isn't very usefull unless you are on a flat or level surface...or shooting at someone on one.) Haven't tried the Advanced weapon option yet, so no comment there yet. I do however wish that the flame/poison arrows radius on hit (for effects to apply) would be the same as the Explosive arrows. (So far Poison only affects on direct hits according to the info page.)

Grenade Launcher:
Something about the firing physics of this one bothers me a bit...though it may be just my unfamiliarity with it. I think Quake 1 had the best GL I've ever used, and this one feels like the Quake3 GL instead...weak and flat. Possibly, adding just a little 'english' to the 'Nades would polish it right up. (ie Add some (more?) bounce physics to the Projectiles?) As for the Ammo...
Explosive - Damage is OK, but the blast radius for it makes this mediocre at best and just plain weak in many situations. I suggest either A) making the blast radius 2X-3X as large, lowering damage a bit. (15-25%) or B) adding some Flak-like shards to the explosion. Say maybe 4-6 chunks @5 damage each in random directions. Or at least Spread out, so that a target would only get hit by 2 shards at most. For fun, give the shards enough "oomph" to allow the user to possibly get hit by them...to encourage good aim and discourage excessive spamming.
Poison - Both effects and linger time are OK.
Naplam - Both effects and linger time are OK.
Flash - Beyond Useless, the only thing these do is **** with your own vision. I also fail to see how these could even be of ANY use in a Team game...the poison or Napalm would be a better choice since they can damage as well as deter AND their AOE obcures vision also. Personal opinion is to drop these and replace them with something else.
Additionally for all the ammo types, the limit on ammo is far too low. ?Only 6 of each max? I think 6 explosive on pickup + 6per ammo pack for a max of 18 each would be much better.

Claw 2:
:tup: I really like the fire mines...perfect! Proxies are great also, although the initial activation time after firing feels too long. (Good to see these guys back. :) )

CUTTER:
:tup: Nice to see the ripper back. Although I miss the 'pushability' of the UT Ripper alt-fire, the blade shards of the Cutters alt-fire is a nice and worthy replacement. Damage for the most part seems ok, although it does feel like the Alt-fire does a bit too much damage on a direct hit. (Damage from ALL the shards hitting a single target? Need to test this more.)

ERDW:
I think this one is overpowered. (Too much like the Q3 rail gun also...) I can see people complaining about this already. (Throw weapon/Weapon stay) How about this: Initial ammo is the same, max ammo is upped to 12 BUT everytime you fire you take 10 Damage. 20 Damage for Alt-fire. And killing yourself with it this way is a negative frag. (Like normal) Balance the power against a minus and people will have to think before running to this weapon and camping on top of it. I also notice that this weapon Gibs everytime, where the FAQ states it should 'Skeletonize' your corpse instead. (Like falling in lava would.)

Chaos UT Sniper Rifle:
Only one comment: GIVE ME MY NORMAL TARGETING RETICULE BACK DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH! That &*@%&^!%# damn laser dot is impossible to see much less track in a fast moving game.

Chaos UT Rocket Launcher:
Simply haven't had the time to play with the Advanced options yet, so no comment on this one yet.

Vortex Launcher:
:tup: Nice improvement over the UT version.

I haven't played all the maps in depth yet, so just a couple of quick comments.

CTF-BioToxin:
Good flow so far and no noticable problems yet, decent size.

DM-Dungeon:
Way too tight, lacks decent dodge or move room. Poor flow, especially going from top top to bottom. (?) Feels like several mini-maps tacked together. (Good in parts, but flawed as a whole.)

KOTH-Misty_Valley:
No comment - haven't played yet.

DM-Dark_Chamber:
No Comment - Haven't played yet.

DM-Oil_Rig:
Too many narrow walkways, and no easy ways around. (Got lost trying to get from A to B even though it's an open map!)

DM-Desolate_Dominion:
Simple but effective map. A bit low on all ammo, and the spot behind on the Jump boots cannot be jumped too...was this intentional? (To get to the upper level.)

And some final notes: I didn't play more than a couple of KOTH games so far, so no comment from me about that yet. However, the gravity belt model feels mighty large...could you shrink and lower it's hover point a bit? It tends to block more of your view than it should, when it's waiting to be picked up.
And lastly, would it be too much to ask for a seperate Chaos UT mutator for Invasion games? One that simply mutliplies the damage for each weapon by 3X-5X? (But reducing the self damage by the same amount perhaps?) I love the Invasion gametype, but IMHO, they really went too far with the monsters HP. So it takes way too much ammo/time to kill anything. Which makes many of the Chaos UT weapons (Napalm-Poison Grenades/Crossbows, etc) useless. (Even more so than the standard weapons. Which is why I feel Instagib Invasion is more common than normal weapons.)

Otherwise: Good job so far!