So, who will stop using Firefox?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
For those who didn't figure out yet: News sites spread that website "OkCupid" started showing a message to Firefox users before showing the actual site content. The message tells Firefox users to consider their choice of browsers, because the new Mozilla CEO (Brendan Eich) opposes gay marriage and donated $1000 towards California's Proposition 8 back then, which was supposed to ban gay marriage.

If this is supposed to be an April fool's joke, it may well be among the worst I've seen. And even if it's not, do you really have to put political wight into your choice of browser usage just because there may be a few people with unpopular opinions in the organization that works on it? I bet there are employees in Google, Microsoft, Opera, etc. that don't have a high opinion on gay marriage either.
Would you include the corresponding company CEO's opinions when you buy a car? Or a newspaper? Or milk?

IMHO it's a relatively stupid move to connect a person's private opinions to an organization's public presentation and even to the usage of their products, especially if the company doesn't imply such connection in any way or even explicitly state it. Eich may be dumb for opposing gay marriage, but then again, the US is so very fond of its freedom of speech. Also, it's seems to be common practice to donate money to either voting option in elections, people really have spend money for worse purposes than a proposition that eventually didn't succeed.

There is no prank afoot. The new CEO of Mozilla was appointed and he did contribute to Prop 8. Mozilla is primarily funded by Google anyway, and they keep Google as the default search engine for that reason. I consider that an ethical compromise, and I wonder what else they’ve compromised on.

Opera and Safari are running Webkit which Google largely developed. Internet Explorer and Safari are of course owned by Microsoft and Apple, respectively. Every major browser has multiple ties to companies which cause harm to people in one way or another. Using the “free and open” Internet means supporting infrastructure owned by evil companies.

If you want perfect moral comfort you should move to the wilderness, build your own home, live off the land, and start your own local internet. And of course let me know where all of this is happening so I can join.
Pretty much right on with how I feel on the subject.

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
I would start using Firefox if I weren't using it already. Antihomophobia is worse than homophobia these days.

Speaking of JavaScript, it's pretty terribly designed language. For example, given array [3, 15, 1, 10, 7], what do you think you'll get after sorting it?

Code:
js> a = [3, 15, 1, 10, 7];
[3, 15, 1, 10, 7]
js> a.sort()
[1, 10, 15, 3, 7]

And there are a whole lot of other issues. I can try to elaborate on this topic, but that'll just derail the thread.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Alan Turing was gay, so everyone against gay marraige should stop using computers, calculators, phones, and anything with a processor. Since he was British, British people should quit computers forever, too.

I'm offended. Are you offended?

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Alan Turing was gay, so everyone against gay marraige should stop using computers, calculators, phones, and anything with a processor. Since he was British, British people should quit computers forever, too.

He was British???

Well damn!

*turns off laptop and throws it out the window*

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Way ahead of you. Years ago I switched to a browser that doesn't try to pull fast ones on the interface through design-by-committee (in other words, the last browser of its kind) - no regrets - especially after that CEO.

However, rather than a protest for stopping the use of Firefox (which I already had done back when Firefox changed to 'copy Google Chrome's look and development cycle'), how about all websites stop using Javascript? That would do the world so much better.
Once in a while I agree with you, except I don't think the browser you mentioned should be that secure, after all it was part of firefox once. And it's a bit of a bloat.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I am constantly told that gay marriage won't affect me, but as time goes on I see more and more examples of how this is not true. It would be one thing if two people just said they loved each other, and the government recognized it and that was the end of it. I can deal with that. But I don't think that will be enough for some. They will not rest until all opposition is eliminated. If you oppose gay marriage or believe homosexuality is a sin, you will be chased out of the public discourse. Your very livelihood will be destroyed. They will prevent you from using public resources like the boy scouts have faced, and you will be forced to participate in gay weddings if you're in the marriage business.

Those of us that were told that we can just live and let live were lied to. There are extremists that aren't concerned so much with rights as they are the fact that some people disagree with their lifestyle, and they won't stop until every American sees things their way. My experience with the lgbt community shows that the vast majority are not like this, but the movement has provided serious power to bad actors.

I oppose attacking a person's livelihood because of their political opinion. Let us install Chrome not because Mozilla's CEO donated $1,000 to the yes on prop 8 campaign, but because Mozilla has become a bloated piece of crap.

Last edited:

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
If you oppose gay marriage or believe homosexuality is a sin, you will be chased out of the public discourse.

Those of us that were told that we can just live and let live were lied to.

These two statements appear not to agree. Either you aim to “oppose”, or you wish to “live and let live”. You can’t do both at the same time.

It sounds to me like you are bringing conflict on yourself by being unkind to your neighbor. That is your choice, but it is disingenuous to pretend you are a victim when the (very mild) retribution you have earned comes upon you.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
These two statements appear not to agree. Either you aim to “oppose”, or you wish to “live and let live”. You can’t do both at the same time.

It sounds to me like you are bringing conflict on yourself by being unkind to your neighbor. That is your choice, but it is disingenuous to pretend you are a victim when the (very mild) retribution you have earned comes upon you.

How is having an opinion and making it public being unkind to your neighbor? You are basically saying "if you believe that homosexuality is a sin,and you make it known publicly, then you no longer have a place in American society". Sounds like the live and let live that lgbt advocates asked for only goes one way.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I don't care for Chrysler vehicles and refuse to own one. I tell anyone who asks me why I don't drive one that I do not care for their products for personal reasons.

I will not, however, dictate to others about what kind of car they drive.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
You are basically saying "if you believe that homosexuality is a sin,and you make it known publicly, then you no longer have a place in American society". Sounds like the live and let live that lgbt advocates asked for only goes one way.

"You're intolerant of my intolerance!"

And stop conflating 'live and let live' with 'gays should burn in hell'.
They're not really the same thing, you know.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
How is having an opinion and making it public being unkind to your neighbor?

We’re not talking about just any opinion. You’re not announcing a position on Neptune, or asparagus. You have an opinion about people, and your opinion is specifically that you oppose what they do and you believe they are sinful.

It is dishonest to talk badly about people and then act as though you were saying something totally neutral. No matter how carefully you word the unkindness, it is still there.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Nowhere
We’re not talking about just any opinion. You’re not announcing a position on Neptune, or asparagus. You have an opinion about people, and your opinion is specifically that you oppose what they do and you believe they are sinful.

It is dishonest to talk badly about people and then act as though you were saying something totally neutral. No matter how carefully you word the unkindness, it is still there.

Which just brings us full circle. I believe homosexuality is a sin. That doesn't mean that I hate those people, think they are bad people, or that they should treated differently. Because of this opinion there are some that believe I should be shunned by society, removed from the public discourse, and even prevented from making a living. In their mind I am no different than the KKK. Your comment is nothing more than definitive proof that what I am claiming is true. So defend it all you want on the grounds that it's ok because I am "hateful". You are no different than what you claim I am.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Never started to use it so.......(Chrome now, before was Opera and before that IE8).

But I have stopped going to Chick-Fil-A, Dominos and Papa Johns.:) Too bad, because I really liked Papa Johns. Well, Dominos was a long time ago.