Lighting is better than UT2004's?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StardogChampion

Dec 18, 2003
I always thought that UT2004 used the latest updated UE2 engine, but I'm finding that it's lighting seems worse than the Runtime's.

Example: I've made a model using the same texture as the terrain - in the Runtime editor it blends in pretty seamlessly, but in the UT2004 engine it stands out like a sore thumb.

I've tried messing with the zone's ambient brightness and the brightness of the sun, but no combination looks perfect, unlike in the Runtime.

What's the deal with the differences in lighting?

Seru

Mar 4, 2006
In ut you can set in level properties the Brightness for the Map- try set lower in ut2004 but I dont know if it exist in ut 2004 Lower like 30% (or lower because lightning seams overbright by default for me in ut2004) and you can still see everthing but lightning goes differnet and colors that was overbright in now in the color you wanted (ut99)

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
The runtime definality is older and less optimized. Try with a very large mesh for example. The rebuild speed is a lot slower.

Your problem is a known prob with UT2004, its not about speed. Epic simply coded in a brightness multiplier making the terrain appear darker, its a small section added in the render code for completely no reason if you ask me.
Im still trying to figure out why anyone would want to add such hack

In the terrain regard the runtime might be better but on lots of other fronts its not