Using dynamic DNS, I'm connectable, but server name won't resolve in server browser.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rom138

Jun 25, 2012
The game in question is Killing Floor.

Using dynamic DNS, I add the server to my favorites by it's hostname registered with no-ip.org and the server is connectable, but from the in-game server browser, it does not show any information on the server and replaces the server name with '?'

It's almost as if it won't ping. But when I connect the '?', it does successfully connect.

Is there anything special I need to do, like configure my router to respond to ping? Is this only occurring because I reside on the same network as the server?

As far as I know, all my ports are properly forwarded - the server browser one, particularly.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
No-Ip is basically a second level DNS server. That is probably what is confusing the server browser. Try adding the server by local IP (its IP on the network) and see if it still behaves like that.

rom138

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks. The official Killing Floor forums are no help, Tripwire has no official support aside from one staff member who barely ever comes around -- for advanced problems they can't answer they simply direct you to UT forums and cite that their game is simply a mod.

I realize the game uses GameSpy as a server browser (at least, I think it still does in it's current incarnation), I was wondering if other UT games do and other people have experienced this problem.

No-Ip is basically a second level DNS server. That is probably what is confusing the server browser. Try adding the server by local IP (its IP on the network) and see if it still behaves like that.

It works fine that way, but I want a domain people can easily add without needing an IP -- my dedi is hosted at home, I'd rather not plaster my IP everywhere (yes, I realized the DNS can simply be pinged and the IP resolved, but still).