Gears of War: Stereotyping?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I feel sad for you. You're watching terrible movies, playing terrible games and reading terrible books. Anything that settles for stereotypes is artistically lacking and lazy. ...
Stop pretending that those books/games/whatever are 'terrible' just because they don't have 'complex' characters.
What's next ?
Calling a game terrible because there's always a happy ending ?
Or what about the fact that the 'good' guys tend to win everything ?
You may not like stereotypes in your entertainment, but others do.

Back into the fray.

People need to keep in mind that the comment SPECIFICALLY says:

Epic doesn't need to apologize, it's not a horrible depiction, it's not insulting, it's not derogative. It is simply how nearly every single black male is portrayed in videogames. ...
It's also how every 'white western male' has been portrayed (how many media use non-western males as their lead/hero ?)
It's also how every female role has been portrayed ... except perhaps for Ripley in Alien-movies most tend to be standard stereo-types and even Ripley herself has become a stereo-type.

... The problem is that they are all the same.
So what ... the black stereo-type is exactly the same as the white/female/gay/terrorist-stereotype.
Even aliens are humans in funny suits with a standard stereotype :
= Klingons in Star Trek are almost literally used as the 'Russians' (cold war-era in the 'classic'-series, post-cold war 'russians' in the 'next gen'-era)
= Ferengi are greedy traders that treat females as slaves ...
You simply can't fill an entire universe with non-stereotypical characters, because it'd be either too boring or too complex to comprehend.

The moral isn't to get all in arms and point fingers, but to encourage (with yo wallet) developers to have developed characters that defy stereotypical behaviors, that are more well rounded, etc. Buy games which explore character in psychologically mature ways(such as HL2, Bioshock, Fahrenheit(Indigo Prophecy in teh US), etc.).

That isn't TOO much to ask is it?

~Jason
It is because 'you' start topics like this because of the 'black stereotype' instead of stereotypes in general.
*that* is what is the most annoying bit of the article.
It's always the big 3 minorities that start whining about being 'oppressed' when their own kind constantly proves how well the stereo-type fits.

Bioshock :
= Big Daddy + Little Sister ... aren't they Stereotypical Father&daughter ?
= Splicers => stereo-typical drug-addicts ?

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
You may not like stereotypes in your entertainment, but others do.
Yes, and that's part of the problem.

It's also how every 'white western male' has been portrayed (how many media use non-western males as their lead/hero ?)
It's also how every female role has been portrayed ... except perhaps for Ripley in Alien-movies most tend to be standard stereo-types and even Ripley herself has become a stereo-type.

I agree. Which is why I went on to say that more complex characters are needed all around. It isn't just black people (the focus of the article), but it's almost all game characters.

So what ... the black stereo-type is exactly the same as the white/female/gay/terrorist-stereotype.

What I was saying is that since black men in videogames are almost all portrayed the exact same way (which is a negative and limiting connotation), it reinforces a casual belief that ALL black people are like that. Of course it's not true, but it is still something that needs to be addressed and corrected.

Even aliens are humans in funny suits with a standard stereotype :
= Klingons in Star Trek are almost literally used as the 'Russians' (cold war-era in the 'classic'-series, post-cold war 'russians' in the 'next gen'-era)
= Ferengi are greedy traders that treat females as slaves ...
You simply can't fill an entire universe with non-stereotypical characters, because it'd be either too boring or too complex to comprehend.

Using a fictional species as allegory is a wonderful idea, and is one of the greatest tools available to science fiction writers. To do so, they must create a stereotypical idea of what the Klingons are like, or the Ferengi are like. From there though, a good writer will make the individuals (Sorry that I can't remember a single name), their own person. They will not simply conform to a stereotype, but will differentiate themselves, and be individuals.

I am not saying that every single character introduced must be a completely fleshed out individual, which extensive back story, etc., as you're right, that would be boring as hell, but every major character CAN be kept free from indulging in stereotype. It is the lazy/talentless writer that indulges in such shortcuts.

It is because 'you' start topics like this because of the 'black stereotype' instead of stereotypes in general.
*that* is what is the most annoying bit of the article.
It's always the big 3 minorities that start whining about being 'oppressed' when their own kind constantly proves how well the stereo-type fits.

Oh get off of your high horse. One cannot talk about stereotypes in general without talking about them specifically. Yes, games in general are full of stereotyping that needs to be fixed. An example is how nearly every single black man is virtually the same urban cliche. Demanding equality and accurate representation != proving "how well the stereo-type fits."

Bioshock :
= Big Daddy + Little Sister ... aren't they Stereotypical Father&daughter ?
= Splicers => stereo-typical drug-addicts ?

Big Daddy + Little sister. Man, I really worry about your childhood if you think that they have a stereotypical Father-Daughter relationship. The Big Daddy + little sister relationship is more of a symbiotic one than anything else.

Splicers could be called stereotypical drug addicts more easily, but that is still far from accurate. They are the entire population of Rapture, more or less. In this respect, they are an allegory of a society in which the general public is increasingly vain and going through increasingly more extensive and drastic measures to satisfy their vanity. The splicers are the end result of that and serve as a sort of moral warning, if you will.

~Jason

JohnnyWakko

Jan 29, 2008
I find the steriotyping in some games offensive to me and a blatant display of a lack of imagination. I agree with the article 100%.

I also find offensive games that need to have the token BARELY CLOTHED BIG BOOBED BLONDE BARBIE BABE in there swinging a axe or a sword three time her size. That is just plain stupid and unrealistic in all aspects of imagination and day to day reality. It portrays a lack of content and imagination, because the story or the game needs to take advantage of blantant stereo types to try and improve over all appearance.

The sad thing is it works. Much like Cole in Gears. Perhaps if EPIC didn't have the stereo type AfroAmerican dude in there, then the gamers who are BREAST FED on MEDIA and TV everyday would have a hard time relating to the game because it wouldn't match thier own limited perception of how diverse the culture, which again has been developed throught commercial media who in turn stereotype 24/7, because diversity confuses the commericial audience.

I have had the pleasure of living in the US, and I know that not all, and perhaps a minority of Americans speak like baffoons...I mean rappers...I mean limited intellegence...I mean gangsters...I mean try hards...whatever, so why does the AfroAmerican character have to be portrayed as one of these types of people? Why can't he represent a more realistic, a more diverse and even a more sophisticated majority...I think it all comes down to market appeal and how portraying a character such as Cole as anything less than a halfwit would polarise the simpletens.

Last edited:

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
If you're not going to believe your own beliefs, who will? Is it even possible to be free of personal prejudice as a unique and non-omniscient intelligent entity?

I believe in them for myself, but I lack faith in others... I know there are others out there who understand or share my thoughts and beliefs... but I'm no preacher.
As for being free of personal prejudice; we are all taught in one form or another some kind of prejudice, but it's up to us to move beyond that... and any being considering itself "intelligent" would understand that and try to better themselves... or so I would hope.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No matter what you do, someone will consider you to have prejudice in one way or another.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I feel like im the only person who sits down to play a game and have fun. Enjoy the game, including the dialogue and the way each person acts. Just try and act as if each person were of the same race and color and it is just there personality that they act this or that way.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
I feel like im the only person who sits down to play a game and have fun. Enjoy the game, including the dialogue and the way each person acts. Just try and act as if each person were of the same race and color and it is just there personality that they act this or that way.

I'm currently enjoying the hell outta Bioshock. So much so that I think I'll play it again when I'm done and try to find ALL the little sisters. :)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
You're not alone.
It's just that the internet and media tend to focus on people that complain a lot.
Even *if* GoW had perfectly 'reasonable' characters then someone somewhere would find yet another thing to complain about.
In fact I'm sure the next complaint would be how Cole is just a supporting character and that the white guys are always in command ... (the n*gger as servant-stereotype ...)

Especially on the internet there's always someone out there who'll claim to be offended by something most people take for granted.
I really wonder how many people actually noticed that Cole was a *black* stereo-type until the article appeared.
Most probably were too busy enjoying the game and slaughtering the oh so stereotypical violent aliens that couldn't be reasoned with ...