1 Battle rifle...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
GruntX said:
Dude we allready did...like 2 months ago! :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the technical info, but I missed why you brought up accurized rifles and MMGs in the first place. Why is it so important that the battle rifles be special accurized versions and that there be an MG variant implemented along with it?

fist_mlrs said:
...if he had posted a new discussion you would have been screaming "omg, omg, use teh search!!!"
Heh heh, yeah, that's probably true. Besides, atleast the thread was still on the front page, it's not like he dug up some dust-encrusted relic from over 6 months ago.

GruntX

Ruperts Handle war. Grunts Do war.
Feb 25, 2004
Sweden. Hate it.
Fal And Bren

Want answers?

OK! I’m a Swede and therefore: 1. Don’t expect any flexibility from my side. 2. Note that there is limited bandwidth on the countryside (were I live of course).
I’ve been watching the forums long before I became a member: I know the thread is old and I knew the thread was old when I wrote for the first time! BUT I WANT A USEFUL BATTLE RIFLE IN THE NEXT VERSION! To make one useful and acceptable in INF, it must have some kind of “special” attachments or other “extras”. I would rather have the standard FAL (which butt stock doesn’t matter to me) and the L4 BREN gun than any other accurized or LMG variant battle rifle. I just mentioned the options. Now when even the FA MAS can be equipped with a silencer and a scope, it would feel a bit boring if there would be no attachments or extras with a new (the first) battle rifle. The FAL/BREN ammunition sharing could be one of the solutions. The G3 should be accurized if it would take match grade ammo from the PSG. The FAL/BREN situation would also to be more realistic. There is a GPMG version that takes G3 mags: The HK21. It would act as a LMG if loaded with G3 mags, a GPMG loaded with belted ammo or a sustained fire MG when attached to a tripod or a vehicle. But match grade ammo loaded into a MG doesn’t sound better than in a standard battle rifle.
I’m for the standard FAL and the L4 BREN gun!

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Trouble is, a dedicated magazine fed LMG is kind of useless.. All due respect to the Bren, it is an elderly design.(While I dearly love shooting them, it would not be my first choice to hump into a firefight.) The FAL is a no brainer for me. Superb SLR.

The '21 is a much better suggestion, though I personally prefer the PKM.

Meplat-

GruntX

Feb 25, 2004
Sweden. Hate it.
Right Meplat!
A magazine fed LMG (or any kind of MG) in games (even INF) doesn't make any sense. But it does in the real life/war/world. Loaded with a 200 round belt, the Minimi/M249 weights around 10 kilograms - the same as the BREN with only 20 to 30 rounds! Even so, there are people who prefer the BREN because it is still the best LMG ever designed. In games, however, the M16 and FAMAS handles in much the same way! Even as the FAMAS is the heaviest one and the M16 the longest. The Minimi and the BREN would also be in that situation. The 7.62mm round would be the only advantage over the Minimi. Some of the real life handling characteristics must be included if the BREN would be added. The only reason to choose the Minimi then would be the amount of ammo. The problem with the HK21 is that it takes the same mags as the G3 and the PSG-1. The PSG uses match grade ammo that is not used with MGs or battle rifles.
Why not SLR? I wouldn't fire full auto with the FAL and I don't know anyone else who would do it either (except SAS. When in Borneo and Malaya, they modified serval SLRs to fire full auto ONLY). What I meant with "standard" was: No scopes, no bipods and no lasers or flashlights, just a rifle and maybe a bayonet. I consider the SLR/L1 series to be standard. Belgian design + British modification = British steel! He he he… :D

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
OK, so you're saying the primary reason for accurization and/or an included MMG is ammo sharing--->extra features? Makes sense, but I'm not sure it's that important, as long as it's chambering for 7.62, there will still be a reason to use it regardless of attachments or extra features. A bayonette or a scope is more than enough for me.

BTW, if you want lots of attachments, there is the SOPMOD M14.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
In my experience, a H&K21 would not care if you fed it "match grade" ammo. Unless one was using an unusually loaded round, or a very light projectile, it'll fart it's way through a box or belt of about any 7.62/.308 Winchester ammunition.

Now to be blunt. The Bren, in any configuration has no place in Infiltration, IF one is attempting to simulate modern small unit tactics. The FN MAG would, with all it's weight, and bulk be a better choice then the Bren(It replaced it in British service for a number of valid reasons). And much as I like the MAG, some of the superb Russian, Czech, and many other country's products should be featured. Want an example? Japanese Type 64. Anyone who has seen and handled one of these plain looking, but wonderfully made and designed rifles would second me on this.

If another British weapon is to be featured, PLEASE let it be a Sterling SMG.

Again, the FAL/L1A1 needs to be included.

Meplat-

GruntX

Feb 25, 2004
Sweden. Hate it.
Gnam and Meplat!
A scoped battle rifle would be much as a PSG. If the team add a G3, it would use the same ammo as the PSG does because they both uses G3 mags. Same thing with the HK21. It is not impossible or dangerous to use sniper ammo in MGs or battle rifles but no army or armed force in the world would spend the amount of money it requires. It's all about realism! The FAL rifles doesn't use the PSG mags, which must be regarded as match grade ammo, but can still share ammo with the L4 BREN. The MAG (L7 series in GB) did not replace the BREN. The MAG is a GPMG and not suited for urban or jungle/heavy wood combat. A bayonet and the L4 would be the best "extras" for the FAL/SLR.
I would also like to see the Sterling SMG in INF! It's a true infantry SMG!

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
although being obsolete, the Japanese Howa Type64 is like a japanese G3, rather nice if i say so, but i heard last that ecale may be creating a Type89... the current standard assault rifle of the Japanese Jieitai (although a 5.56 compared to the Type64's Howa-7.62 which is NOT 7.62NATO)

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Ninjin- Seen the current 5.56, but have'nt fired one. Looks, and feels very "SiG" like. The '64 will fire the NATO/SEATO round, but it won't have the excellent full auto handling the violet tip Japanese loading gives it.

This reminds me. At one time there were large quantities of a steel jacketed plastic cored 7.62X39MM "training" round being imported into the U.S.. Made the AKM feel EXACTILY like a StG44 when fired full auto. Sometimes less is more.

Meplat-

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
i read somewhere that the HOWA 7.62 has a lower "kick" compared to the 7.62 NATO to make up for the difference in body-builds of the japanese. But yes, i would love to fire the type64 although i doubt i will ever have the chance to even come near one.

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
I will probably start the type 89 this weekend (sorry, been busy)

BTW Ninjin, thanks for the pics and info. Would you happen to have a close up of the ejection port on the Type 89 (you do for the 64)?

Last edited:

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Ninjin- Hmm. I was told that it was to improve FA dynamics, and to reduce wear. It's not a light weapon, and the Japanese soldiers I saw were not especially fragile looking.

Japan seemed to me to be building their small arms with a "Let's not replace this for a couple decades or so" mentality. I forget the designation for the GPMG (Type 67?) but it is also very robust, well engineered, and well made.

Meplat-