Do you want a FragBU 2k4 Video?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do you want a 2k4 FragBU Video?

• No, but I would help if one were started.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Taleweaver said:
Just like the previous time 'we' tried to make a second movie (Stigmata vanished on us)...or the FragBU version of AggressiveAlleys (whatever happened to it?)...or the red vs blue project (no one wanted to direct it)...or Han's city onslaught map... or etc. etc.

I'd want to wish the ones on the project good luck, but I doubt it'll sound like I mean it :hmm:
Hmm...about previous attempted projects, Stigmata got real busy with real life, I think ... AggressiveAlleys never got to "final" version because I think we dropped VCTF before it got finished ... Han got busy with real life too. Red vs. Blue suffered from "nobody was able / willing to help" I think...

If we get enough people wanting this, and enough people are actually willing to help out, we just might be able to pull this off...

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
This may help.

1) you need server side demos
2) you need people to watch through the server side demos from every persons perspective.

The first isn't that big of a deal, you just need someplace to host them and d/l them.

The second is hard, watching the same match over and over from different points of view takes an enourmous amount of time, and you have to pay very close attention in order to catch the cool stuff. For the first FragBU movie I sat through hours of demo's looking for 'cool' stuff and they were only about 10% of the video. DaBeatard made up the other 90%, that is ALOT of time. I still watch that video and some of the editing is still amazing to me.

These two things don't really take any skill (video making skill that is) and anyone can do them.

Who's willing?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
If it's gonna be done, that is probably a bad system. What should probably happen is everyone looks through their own demos and submit to whoever's responsible for recording the videos the demo and times at which they got good frags, taking the responsibility off the people making it. I dunno about you but I would never watch a demo of 12 people from each of their perspectives over and over and over and over again for every map, nor would I ever want to push that task onto someone. Besides, with this system of people looking through their own demos, everyone in the video takes a part in making it, and those frags that the "official" demowatchers might not have found that cool can make it in, as they may be cool to the person who made the frag.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
T2A said exactly what I'm thinking. Everyone should be involved and there's no need to try to be "objective."

Of course it all comes down to whoever is doing the final vid capture and editing to filter out the crap we suggest. Good luck to whoever wants to do that, because I don't know how.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
So basically, you're only going to get demos of the people who submit, and if you have 1 person have 500 "Hey d00ds, look at my 1337 shot," then that one person is going to have many more appearances in the vid than everyone else.

howlatnight

Jan 8, 2006
Not so Ren. The idea is that people would AutoDemoRec(I would assume, its easier) Then they would watch through their demos for the night and jot down mentionable times in map XXXXXXXXXX at XX:XX time left. now the Official viewer has somewhere to go and not waste All of his time.

Also, on most deathmatch games SSD's could be watched from usually 2 free camera locations and have a good view of 90% of the map from just 2 passes through. Add the fact that people should be watching their own demos, and that you can see the death messages, should make it much easier on the watchers that is made out to be.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Renegade Retard said:
So basically, you're only going to get demos of the people who submit, and if you have 1 person have 500 "Hey d00ds, look at my 1337 shot," then that one person is going to have many more appearances in the vid than everyone else.

It's much better than having a few people look at every frag in every game. Everyone can look through demos where they remember something cool happening and mark the time, whether it's their frag or someone else's. It can work if everyone is involved and people aren't twats about it.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Besides, just because, say, Nereid submits 99348938 newnet headshots doesn't mean they all have to be used. The end discretion is still in the hands of the person/people actually making the video.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
There should be a limit to how many demos are submitted by each FBU'er. Or maybe it should be limited by frags, like we could set a 5 frag limit. Sprees would count as one frag.

Also that rypel cam thing could be use to get some cool rotational effects going. D:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
nuttella said:
It can work if everyone is involved and people aren't twats about it.

That's exactly my point. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but that kind of community-wide dedication rarely works around here.

I'm NOT trying to shoot you guys down. I'm just playing devil's advocate to make sure you guys completely think this through before jumping in with both feet. If you can avoid looking through rose-colored glasses and make this thing work with that gameplan, then I commend you for it, and give you my 100% support.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
nuttella said:
It's much better than having a few people look at every frag in every game. Everyone can look through demos where they remember something cool happening and mark the time, whether it's their frag or someone else's. It can work if everyone is involved and people aren't twats about it.
We've already had several people in this thread say they won't help, and I'd be surprised if those that said they would help would look for any frags other than their own.

In 2k3, Beat spent hours scouring through demos and finding cool things that no one even reported. Who do we have here that is willing to do something like that? Not many, if any at all, I would bet. As I recall, the TWD vs. Scumgrief shot was found solely by Beat (it may have been mentioned but never technically "reported" with a time stamp) and wouldn't be in the movie otherwise. Yet it's one of the funniest things to behold in the whole video. Same goes for the Ren vs. Webby TL battle. These things have to be scoured for, you don't just watch a demo where you remember yourself doing something cool and accidentally run across them.

I'm all for doing a video I suppose, but my involvement would be limited to providing the demos from Radiosity's ftp space. I don't have the time or drive anymore to sit around running through hundreds of demos to find me or other people doing cool things like I did in 2k3. It's hard enough for me to find time to actually PLAY THE GAME.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
take this with a grain of salt I guess......

DaBeatard is very organized and knowlegble, he does this kind of thing for a living. No he won't do it again. It's too much work.

do you have someone like him?
If not then you might as well forget about it.

and....

I tried the whole "gimme times of your cool shots", It didn't work.
I HAD to look for them, and to be quite honest, when the vid was even brought up we were much more organized and less 'argumentative' than you guys are now. with the exception of TWD, he was always fussy/bossy about everything...and not lending a hand

Videos are like Maps, everyone has cool suggestions but when you get down to it Mapping is a serious pain in the butt. If you want a cool Map, try it yourself....you'll find out how badly you want it if you finish it.

Same with Videos.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
We've already had several people in this thread say they won't help, and I'd be surprised if those that said they would help would look for any frags other than their own.

In 2k3, Beat spent hours scouring through demos and finding cool things that no one even reported. Who do we have here that is willing to do something like that? Not many, if any at all, I would bet. As I recall, the TWD vs. Scumgrief shot was found solely by Beat (it may have been mentioned but never technically "reported" with a time stamp) and wouldn't be in the movie otherwise. Yet it's one of the funniest things to behold in the whole video. Same goes for the Ren vs. Webby TL battle. These things have to be scoured for, you don't just watch a demo where you remember yourself doing something cool and accidentally run across them.

I'm sure if Ren, Webby, Scumgrief, and TWD knew demos were being recorded for a vid, they could have got the demos and found those incidents in minutes. It only takes scouring if you don't know it's there.

When people say they won't help, it could be because they assume it means scouring through hours of demos. I think everyone who wants a vid may at least look for their own frags, and if everyone looks for their own frags, you have everyone's frags.

Naturally, it only works if enough people care about having a good vid. Maybe if you made it sound like less of a pain in the ass in the original post, more people would have said they would help. :p

However, while I still think that part could be done as I suggest, despite all the whiny, selfish jerks who frequent FragBU (as Han points out :p) -- there's still a problem. All of the people who seem able to do the final and hardest task of actually going through the demos and making the vid don't play much if any FragBU, and they're not going to put all that work into something they have little interest in. So I don't have high hopes for the video actually getting made.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
When I half-way wanted to make a shortish (5-8 minutes) frag video on my own, I started by messing around on Campgrounds with -36 to get some test footage that I then turned into a 33-second video with one Rypel cam sequence. That sh*t took me like four hours to make after all the recording, editing, and tweaking was done. After that I didn't want to make my own frag video anymore.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Yeah, and the big question is, who is going to make the video? My inclination look through hours of demos will depend on how confident I am that it will actually come to something. If it's just "oh, eventually someone will figure out how to do it" then no (because it's not going to be me...)