What are you playing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I'm probably about 75% through the game. If you liked Dear Esther, I recommend this. It's similar but a bit more interactive with a few simple puzzles here and there.

$20 feels a tad steep considering there's minimal replay and it's a tad short. Otherwise, this was a game I was happy to support. Highly recommended once it goes on sale.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I've also started playing Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor.
bought it over the weekend. really enjoying it so far.

one of the most polished and fluid combat experiences I've had in an RPG in awhile.
it's like the best mechanics from Assassins Creed and Batman Arkham boiled down and then refined with the addition of the Nemesis system. this provides for virtually endless missions/quests which can also be approached virtually any way you choose. the game never really forces you into any specific paths in how you accomplish a task.

the open world of Mordor around the base of Mount Doom is highly dynamic and feels very alive. the AI is varied, balanced, challenging, and fair; a rare combination in a game with such open-ended environments. you can complete most scenarios entirely by stealth without entering open combat or simply slaughter your way through hordes but either way is rewarding thanks to the number of options you have when dispatching orcs.

even if you dislike LOTR you should give this one a shot.
very solid RPG.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Same as above, Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor.

Great game, everything Jack said. Playing with everything on ultra except textures; only 3GB of VRAM, so no ultra textures (it wants 6GB!). I actually haven't tried, though some people claim it works fine with 3GB. I suspect they are just running the benchmark though and not in the game proper.

A cool trick is to choose a higher resolution than your monitor goes and it will downsample. This is useful as the game has no AA or AF options and it is pretty jaggy.

Anyhow, loads of fun.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I am running the game on my 1gb vram card at the 3gb level just fine. Food for thought. It is an excellent game, reminds me a lot of Arkham City.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I am running the game on my 1gb vram card at the 3gb level just fine. Food for thought. It is an excellent game, reminds me a lot of Arkham City.

Cool, and yes, my system runs the game fine with ultra textures as well, but the occasional stutter/frame lag and lower overall FPS don't seem like enough of a benefit to bother using the ultra textures. From medium to high is a *big* difference though, so I'm glad you can enjoy the textures on high.

EDIT:

Downloaded and installed the HD textures and now playing on ultra, no problem. I dialed back the resolution to 100% and don't play with depth of field or motion blur (just don't like the effects) but wow...everything is smooth.

EDIT:

Now playing CoD: Advanced Warfare. Ok. Typically CoD, but alright nonetheless. Sledgehammer have done a good job getting the game a bit more vertical and *gasp* there are actually multiple routes to a target! Pseudo QT events are still there and a fair bit of 'follow me' hand-holding crap, but that's to be expected I suppose; current gamers really don't like to think too much about trivial things like locating objectives. The "x meters to target" icon is there too, for much the same reasons, I believe. Good movement and some new gimmicks: short range jet-like jumping and the exosuit shake things up a bit for the better.

It sure looks pretty! I have to say, the faces and facial animations are excellent and overall the textures look great. A very nice looking game indeed.

Overall a fun romp, but certainly nothing too a-typical for the series on the whole.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Double post time!

Far Cry 4: Great fun. Everything FC3 was, but better. Very hard though....or maybe I suck. Great game play, very engaging. The story is weak, but who cares?

As far as visuals go, a mixed bag. You can edit the GamerProfile.xml in the Mydocs/MyGames/FarCry4 folder to get the cutscenes to render at the proper resolution. It looks good....not Crysis good, but good. It seems like they brought in some of the winning elements from Just Cause 2.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
New Dragon Age. It's better looking, huge, fun and interesting, but the tactical camera is kind of a little crap, and I'm not loving the squad AI. I turned down the difficulty to normal (instead of Hard) and have been enjoying it as a more action RPG. I lament the loss of the more strategic planning from DA:O and even DA2 (I honestly don't know why they took out the AI controls!), but it's a solid freaking game.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Double post time!

Far Cry 4: Great fun. Everything FC3 was, but better. Very hard though....or maybe I suck. Great game play, very engaging. The story is weak, but who cares?

As far as visuals go, a mixed bag. You can edit the GamerProfile.xml in the Mydocs/MyGames/FarCry4 folder to get the cutscenes to render at the proper resolution. It looks good....not Crysis good, but good. It seems like they brought in some of the winning elements from Just Cause 2.

This. I actually finished the story line, opened up all the towers and outposts and then started over. The weapons you unlock at that point reduce any challenge the game had to nothing, perhaps rightly so...

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Double post time!

Sounds great; I'm looking forward to FC4.

Right now I'm playing Mass Effect 3 (finally) and Sky Drift.....

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
I've recently finished fallout new vegas and i am currently playing serious sam 3.
I haven't done this much gaming in ages