Any old school INFers still around?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
I would say the best bet to bring back Inf right now, is Arma 3. Its buggy, and hard to mod for, but its the best bet. At least they're working on it. What we really need for it are some maps. Like Mostar, Heskey Gateway, small town maps, etc. I still hate many things about it (especially dah future) but its at least its something. Oh, and they fixed the problem of rabbits stealing your equipment now. :p

Last edited:

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Lol, you can't keep down Pipe. Even when the forums dead.

Some rich guy needs to hire DICE to make us a new INF.

Last edited:

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Ugh. Arma 3 just plain sucks. I just can't stand all the bugs, "da future", and the loss of ACE anymore. And it brings most computers to their knees because of bad programming. Waiting for modding tools for Frostbite. I hear one guy is working on trying to crack BF3 and make mod tools for it. Some kind of emulator.

Played through the SP for BF4. While not the most realistic, it was kind of fun. Graphics were good, and they had some interesting parts where you could tell some thought was actually put in. Like the pop up barriers in the parking garage that you have to find the controls for so you can get your APC through it. What really makes Frostbite King of FPS though, is the DESTRUCTION. That's what makes it feel so much more real than all the other FPS games. When you hit a brick building with heavy gunfire or missiles, you can blow the walls out! Watch the snipers run for their lives! Rake the tops of buildings with heavy cannon fire and watch the wooden barriers splinter and blow around the place. Now that's fun! Static objects are sooooo yesterday.

Last edited:

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
I haven't really found an FPS worth playing since BF3. I haven't taken the leap into BF4. Right now, I'm playing PS2 and sampling a few Arma 3 mods.

Its funny though how we speak of Arma, yet INF had no fewer bugs that were just inherent with the use of the Unreal Engine. INF is still one of the best FPS gaming experiences I've ever had and that wasn't just due to the game, but the community as well.

Mercie

Jan 18, 2005
Its funny though how we speak of Arma, yet INF had no fewer bugs that were just inherent with the use of the Unreal Engine. INF is still one of the best FPS gaming experiences I've ever had and that wasn't just due to the game, but the community as well.

Pretty sure we played BF3 together at one point... Had you and Odie on my list!

To the rest... INF was an independent mod for a 16 year old game and ended up being a decade ahead of its time. Weapon and loadout configuration only made its way to AAA titles four years ago (7 if you count COD). Advanced game modes have been hit and miss for the last 6 years but are pretty good now. Multiple optics and optic modes just launched in BF4 (scope/irons) and ARMA3 (scope/MRDS) - I cant name anything off the top of my head that had it before.

ARMA3 is the latest installment of looking pretty yet retains clunky animations. I am glad I can reload while moving now. Maybe ARMA4 will let me switch weapons while moving. Moreover, the gun play just feels wrong to me and my experiences shooting. Its only redeeming quality is the open mod community which BI used as a crutch throughout its launch.

Thought vomit aside, I believe ARMA3 should be much further along than it is. My guess is the future of Infiltration will be in the Battlefield franchise in another few years or so. ARMA3 has a better vehicle experience but that was never the INF way. DICE is pushing hard to 'innovate' but they arent doing a bad job at introducing new features here and there. Hell, BF4 has an airburst that words better than the OICW in INF!

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
What I'm really looking at now is DCS. They have the best flight simulation around. And that's the hardest part. That and realistic radar. They're currently working on getting better missile FM. There have been a few hints that they're starting to look at making vehicle modules or at least getting more realistic vehicles overall. And of course, they are now making a new graphics engine for the sim called EDGE. What they REALLY need now is FPS Infantry and REAL modding tools. They could rival both Arma and Steel Beasts if they stick in Infantry and realistic vehicles.

Last edited:

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
What gaming developers (other than some of the independents) don't understand is that we don't want more features, more guns, more "Michael Bayness" or even better graphics at this point. We want better game play, more authenticity without having to keybind then entire keyboard and memorize that many controls just to enjoy an immersive FPS that is as realistically presented as possible.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Well, I've about had it now with Arma. Their new DLC ($2.98 at a store near you! ) is Go-karts. Go-karts! WTF!!! Its obvious they are no longer serious about any kind of military simualtion. Tiny expensive DLC's and micro-transactions are obviously in their future. Next will be goat simulators. I've posted a message on the DCS forums

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=125214

asking how their players would feel about realistic vehicles and infantry being introduces. Not to bad so far. 9 against / 8 for, with 4 others wanting just vehicles added. I think DCS with the EDGE engine thats coming up would make an interesting Infiltration / Arma type environment.

Last edited:

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
What gaming developers (other than some of the independents) don't understand is that we don't want more features, more guns, more "Michael Bayness" or even better graphics at this point. We want better game play, more authenticity without having to keybind then entire keyboard and memorize that many controls just to enjoy an immersive FPS that is as realistically presented as possible.

LOL, yeah, let me hit [shift]{ALT}<Insert> numpad 3 so I can get my character to lie on his side with his neck craned upward and his gun held around the corner. By the time I do that, Crack Bore's already shot me.

JackBootedThug

Nov 26, 2010
I play Arma 3 a bunch.

While it has its faults (netcode) there is nothing comparable.

Been enjoying the new King of the Hill mod with friends. Great fun.

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009

Inf has that more guns problem with the very ununiformed attachment.
Why cant i put a flashlight on a HK416, for example...
Only bayonett for AKM...? What is it, the 70's? :D

In Inf i use only the half of the keyboard activly. :p

I think thats the best balance, because its quick and memorizable enough and the keys does the the same thing always. :)

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Inf has that more guns problem with the very ununiformed attachment.
Why cant i put a flashlight on a HK416, for example...
Only bayonett for AKM...? What is it, the 70's? :D

In Inf i use only the half of the keyboard activly. :p

I think thats the best balance, because its quick and memorizable enough and the keys does the the same thing always. :)

Where's that guy that always goes "WHO in the blue hell are YOU?"

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site

Holy crap its Ghost! I just assumed you must be 50 years old living in some cabin in the woods while your grandkids visit by now.

The game you are describing is Insurgency - used to be a mod for HL2, now a standalone Source-based game. Its very fun.