Bio-Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hot or Not?

• I`m loving it because I do know how to use it

Votes: 64 70.3%
  • I like it but I don`t know how to use it

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I don`t like it because I don`t know how to use it

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I hate it even I do know how to use it

Votes: 13 14.3%

• Total voters

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
briach said:
When someone loads up bio, you basically can't act aggressively towards them, movement-wise. The only thing that works good against bio is hitscan.
WTF are you talking about? The best thing to do when someone has goo loaded is to get close to them fast and as quirkily as possible (the more perpendicular movement the better) because they are more likely to let it fly somewhere where it won't even touch you.

Anyways, a good rule of thumb is if someone is spamming, go somewhere else. The only time you get undeserved kills is when you shoot rockets across the map and it just happens to nick someone and kill them.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
briach said:
When someone loads up bio, you basically can't act aggressively towards them, movement-wise. The only thing that works good against bio is hitscan.

Bio doesn't take a lot of skill to use, like so many pub players think. It takes a whole lot less prediction than rockets to use effectively. The only drawback is the rof. Bad players don't like the rof, but that's the reason why the number one use of it is over or around corners while running backwards, or making easy annoying pickup shots. The biorifle doesn't take an incredible amount of skill to use, compared to hitscan. You don't need a lot of mouse dexterity or movement skills to use the bio effectively, you just have to realize it's applications, weaknesses and strengths and play with it accordingly.

It's by no means a weapon players can outlet a lot of skill into effectively, because it's applications are so limited, and the only hardcore, non-defensive frags are because of ping, packetloss, lack of awareness, or plain stupidity on the recieving side.

See I don't get any of this...it takes no skill yet no one uses it.

Why is that? I realize you can spam with it blah blah blah but the fact that it's hard to score a kill (often luck as you point out) kinda balances out that fact.......especially since no one uses it.

I find it difficult to hit a guy with the bio if he is strafing or dodging or anything because predicting the shots is difficult (maybe I just suck...but if that is the case why isn't everyone using it?). If the splash damage DOES take out a guy isn't that kind of a reward for trying?

I would say the bio takes exceptional skill in order to be deadly with it (not including the luck shots....but if you practice enough...how do we know they weren't luck shots and just a result of practice with prediction?)

If it is so hard to score a kill why is it suddenly noobie if someone DOES score a kill with it? Is it because they fire the crap all over the place? Can't the same be said about the flak or RL or even the standing shock combo? And those are even easier to pull off! So why the "let's rip on bio as a noobie weapon" mentality?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass...it just seems like everyone's comments are contradicting themselves. It is all very fuzzy to be honest.

Fake quote that about sums it up:
"Bio takes no skill....You can't hit anyone with it" :confused:

Last edited:

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
You can hit people with bio fairly easy if you use it in the manner it's meant to be used. Most players don't like playing with that style however, because it isn't as rewarding or dependent on enemy player's behavior as playing in a manner that is more aggressive and unyielding.

It's faster than a rocket, it has a large radius from it's center while in flight, so hitting something while it's in flight isn't hard, it has a nice trajectory so it can be thrown behind or over corners, it's like a noob rocketlauncher, because you can load it up and wait till the enemy makes a wrong move then make an easy prediciton shot, where as with rockets it's a lot easier to dodge, because you can only load rockets so long before they come out automatically.

Bio in flight has the damage of triple loaded rocket, radius of a shockcore, extremely useful trajectory like the flak ball, and the point of contact is like a long lasting shock combo.

Bad players overhype the bio.

Brizz: If you try manuevering closer to a 1v1 skill player, in a fast manner(which is implying a dodge jump) then you are giving him an easy frag. Once you dodgejump in medium range, you're a goner.

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Kharnellius said:
.....snip.....
Thankyou :)

I knew I couldn't be the only person who finds the bio deadly.

Personally I can judge its trajectory very well (its just slightly longer than the flak)
So planting single shots is quite easy, certainly a lot easier than airrox for example.
The bio comes into its own used alongside another weapon, preferably hitscan, lob a altfire at them, so they go defensive, then you can pick them off quite easily, or they will run off.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
briach said:
Brizz: If you try manuevering closer to a 1v1 skill player, in a fast manner(which is implying a dodge jump) then you are giving him an easy frag. Once you dodgejump in medium range, you're a goner.
Errrr.....no. You never dodgejump around people in any situation, because it makes you 100000000000000 times more predictable. The best thing to do is alot of dodging and weaving. Most of the time you start out near someone that is ready to fire it, and nearly nobody is good at predicting it's trajectory because no one USES it....

Wookiee

Lets Rock
Aug 4, 2004
The_Head said:
I knew I couldn't be the only person who finds the bio deadly.

Judging by your posts, you don't play 1v1 much. :|

The bio is deadly. It is also inefficient. I don't think I've ever seen a player choose the bio against a better gun unless I was stacked or winning by several frags.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Wookiee said:
Judging by your posts, you don't play 1v1 much. :|

The bio is deadly. It is also inefficient. I don't think I've ever seen a player choose the bio against a better gun unless I was stacked or winning by several frags.
Since when was this thread solely referring to 1v1? :)

dc

Aug 17, 2005
>2 yrs later and the goo is still bad and overpowered and sticks to the ground for 3 hours after you fire it. some things never change <3<3<3<3

osm!

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Still my favourite weapon in the Unreal series. Got a lot of kills with it... especially in UT3's DM-BioHazard D:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
If it was anyone else resurrecting this thread, I'd be all wtfz. However dc is the one person I'm cool with doing this since I know his hate for goo runs strong D:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
All bios are cool. Well, only except Unreal 1, because you couldn't load and keep it loaded :( And also I don't like how fast the blobs disappear, they could be good mines if their lifetime was longer...

Oh, and why the hell is there a UT3 bio rifle side effect like this: if you use the alt fire without loading, then alt fire again without loading, the two blobs merge and stays for a long, long time?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I like many aspects of UT3 bio better than 2k4 Bio... however, UT2003 bio was the best, hands down.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Good point. I'll recreate that in my UT2003 weapons mod! Those blobs really flew far, and that could explain the liquid-style of them (contrast with Unreal 1).

juvenile_delinquent

Aug 5, 2008
I think its the second most amazing weapon in UT. After the Shock Rifle, that is.

Spam, you say? Well spammers will always be there, and you can spam with every weapon except perhaps the lightning gun.

You think people who use it are noobs? Well I think people who die a lot because of it are noobs.
I've seen it so many times, people walk over the green gooey stuff even though they know its there. I have no idea why. Then they get pissed and start abusing the person who used it and spoil the game.

About how its very powerful it is when fully loaded, well the fact that it does not have a straight trajectory compensates for it.
You have to know what angle to shoot it at to hit the person. But if the person is hit, well...

The best part is when there is a group of people standing in 1 place.
Suddenly theres a **SPLAT**, and the orgy is over. roflmao...

And I know good players who PWN with it. Like in UT2003 BR, there is ElGreco. He is known for his goop shooting skills. He kills people with it while they're in the air.
"I understand how it works.", he says.

:biorifle: