I18n (Internationalisation)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ravu al Hemio

Comes, fixes, leaves.
Sep 1, 2004
Austria
Hello UTXMP developers and community,

I am new to UTXMP even though I do hang around in the BU forums from time to time. First, I would like to thank Free Monkey for reviving U2XMP in such high quality -- well done there! I somehow prefer it over Onslaught, since it has more items and more tactics.

I decided to have a go at a German translation (ucc dumpint being a loyal friend), and I am far enough. Unfortunately, some of the strings are forced-English. An example is XMP.XMPHackTrigger. GetDescription is simply full of hardcoded English strings. A suggested fix:

PHP:
// Declaration area, modify line 33 (Beta1a code):
var() localized string Description;

// Add (into new section delimited by '======='?)
var localized string HackingOwned, HackingStatusPre, HackingStatusPost;

// Modify GetDescription like so:
simulated function string GetDescription( Controller User )
{
        local string Str;

if( bUsable )
        {
                if( Description != "" )
                        Str = Description $ ":";

if( User.GetTeamNum() == Team )
                        Str = Str @ HackingOwned;
                else
                        Str = Str @ HackingStatusPre @ GetTeamProgress(User) * 100.0 $ HackingStatusPost;
        }

return Str;
}

// Add to DefaultProperties:
     HackingOwned="Owned"
     HackingStatusPre="Hack:"
     HackingStatusPost="%"
(Even though the box says it, it ain't PHP code. But colour-coding makes it more readable, doesn't it?)

Another problem are the HUD image file strings (e.g. Player Score), since they can't be translated without more playing around. I opt for a conversion of these characters into a font and writing out the HUD strings manually.

I might add to this thread later on.

Keep up the good work!

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
i dunno... english is rather easy to pick up... i personally don't care about internationalization, but if it has to be done, why not... umm... does the internationalization automatically convert text to the appropriate word in the other language?

can you go ahead and please show samples of the following as internationalized on ut2k4, considering you said it can be done?
1: Hello, and welcome to utxmp.
2: XMP Garden originally appeared in the demo for unreal 2 expanded multiplayer edition.
3: Red ranger said "I've got an Artifact"

Ravu al Hemio

Comes, fixes, leaves.
Sep 1, 2004
Austria
Dandeloreon1984 said:
does the internationalization automatically convert text to the appropriate word in the other language?

Nope, that should be done by translators. Of course you can run the text through a translator software like Babelfish, but then it will look like if it were written in Babelfish. ;)

can you go ahead and please show samples of the following as internationalized on ut2k4, considering you said it can be done?

It all depends on the strings used in the software. If any string in the code has the modifier "localized" set during its declaration, the engine looks into the files suffixed by the setting "Language" in section [Engine.Engine]. This is, by default, set to "int" ("International Language", English), but can be set to "det" for German, "itt" for Italian, "est" for Spanish, "kot" for Korean, "cst" for Czech, etc. Then, the engine doesn't check the .int files but instead reads the strings from .det files.

What do you want me to show exactly? Screenshots or the string file?

IndianPsycho said:
If that means you fixed it up for me (and any other translators), thanks.

Oakwind

May 18, 2004
Great idea man, the more peeps the better. And if they don't do it ,it can always be modded in.