Advisable to use 2 soundcards?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
Well in lieu of sound issues, I was thinking of using the 6 channel (5.1) setup of my onboard audio (chipset: Cmedia CMI9739A). The thing is that in order to use 5.1, I'd have to give up the mic jack (would be the center speaker).

So I'm thinking of installing an older 4.1 PCI soundcard I already have just so I can have a mic input.

Thoughts?

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I use my onboard sound for surround as well, Nvidia Soundstorm.

To be able to use a headset without having to unplug the surround speakers and change the settings for my sound, I tried with an extra soundcard, an old SB Live.
But i got a lot of noises from it. Couldn't use voice comms due all the noise.
I tried different pci-slot and drivers but still had the noise.

On the other hand, I heard people who are using a pci soundcard in conjunction with onboard sound and they have no problem.
Some told me it has to do with the design of the motherboard. I don't know.

The solution for me is to run the voice comm on my 2nd computer.

So i guess you have to try if it will work for you.