Angelheart request!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
i'll take a look at it, but whatever happens i won't change much to the geometry since i a) don't have unlimited time, i have to work on my own maps as well and b) don't want to ruin an angelheart :)

6mm

Shooting first..shooting some more......
Originally posted by RAZZ
would be nice if someone could code a mine thingy that would randomly set mines to active or inactive.
its no suprise once you learn where all the bombs are ;)
(ep for instance)

I believe Beppo did something like that. A package of script goodies called "NB Specials".

www.planetunreal.com/beppo

Im still fiding my feet with it but it seems as though it can be done with those.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
this map wont take much to make playable.
biggest things are the spawnpoints.
theres no cover in those boats. I dunno what I could suggest to fix it.
if team 2 spawns too close to those towers, the beach crawlers are gonna get railed in 2 seconds.

next... those mortars.
sorry, its a good idea, theres just way too many. and their too freaquent...
most are focused on the left side. (check out the scortch marks)
there might as well be a flaming pillar of whoopass occupieing that zone.

a gauranteed chokepoint on the right.
add the easy vantage positions with escape routes and you see the problem.

once players get past there, I predict a mass evacuation of those towers and some interesting spr style payback ;)

but (if teams are even, spawnpoints exposed, and too many morters in flight at once and no alternate attack route to the left) thats going to be a fairly rare event.

all in all is a beautiful map and visually accurate looking.
but dont forget that the D-Day invasion was a tactically impossible one.

sim it too closely and we wont have to wonder about the outcome, lol

SoulSurfer

TTR Beta Tester
Nov 17, 2001
UK
Visit site
i was drawn here from some stuff Diablo put in the ttr forums, for once i'm glad i came. This looks like one of the most interesting maps i have seen in a long time, well done AH it looks great

6mm

Shooting first..shooting some more......
Gentlemen this is great, we need need to dicuss wtf we're gonna do with this map before everyone starts making his own version and releasing it to the community. Lets all lay our ideas down on the table and make one one hell of a map.

My suggestions.

* I think we need to make it bigger.

5 maybe 4 gun emplacements/concrete things in total I think (with proportional size increases in the beach cliffs, back area etc.).
That will give us multiple entry routes and we can get alot more creative on the cliff geometry.

* Spawn the defenders a little way back behind the gun emplacements, not right inside the emplacements with thier fingers on the triggers. They therefore have to run forward in order to prevent being over run.

Give some cover (use some of those beach obstacles for this) on the beach so that the attackers have to, from the word "GO", run like fukk and get onto the beach, setting up defensive fire and getting cover behind some of those beach obstacles. This might also prevent any case of spawn point camping by either teams.

*I also agree on the whoopass issue, ;). Lets tone those mortars down a little.
(beautifully described m8)

*Also, make the barbed wire fences destroyable and a little more linear:
I mean one paralell line of maybe 2 fences, instead of the current fishnet-web scenario.

I think the intention (from a defenders point of view) is to channel the enemy's movement, apart form slowing him down with those barbed fencing etc. Thats where Mr Bangalor comes in. The attackers would, and did, blow the living sh1t out of those fences/obstacles. Therefore we have to make them destroyable.

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
The mortars are just an effect that work only in UT type DM. I would think that in Infiltration it would be better to have something more user controled there. There also may well be far to much barbed wire around. I did think of making the doors on landing craft movers, this would make it bit safer to spawn there.
But then someone would just sit up in the towers waiting for the doors to open and, well just like it was. Maybe a tank or some kind of vehical on the beach for cover, I did concider this. There was a good LVT-4 landing vehical in this book I have.

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
The problem with extending the beach is the frame rate thing, I made it small to keep that down. Besides I didn't see much fun in just runnig over miles of open space, but I did just have an idea that you could maybe extend the beach out to the sides behind the cliffs and fit in another couple of landing craft, that were a bit more protected. Humm. Ok give me a day or so and I'll see what I can do. Still need an Infiltration expert to path it etc. If you don't hear from me in a day or so carry on reguardless.

Ok, now its my turn.

(semi-official WW2 expert takes the spotlight)

Ahem, first of all, yes, the beach was a little short. And dont worry about frames, ive seen maps with longer beaches and the frames were fine. Secondly, yes, extend it farther back as well. Kepp what is behind the beach, and extedn the roads and make them lead to heavy gun emplacements. Next, make straight lines of barbed wire, not the "fishnet" effect. Plus, besides a longer beach, it needs to be wider as well. Then mines of course. You must have mines. But i really liked the idea of the random ones, that dont go off every time. This way, like was mentioned you wont learn where they are. Next, dont get rid of the mortatrs. maybe make them less powerful but dont take anyaway. When the beach is longer and wider it will be fine. Then, someone said how the mortars dont cover all the beach and on the right side there is a clear path, well thats what the HMG's are for!! There should be 2 in each bunker. Everything mentioned above will mkae this the one of AH's best maps ever!

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
ok, no time like the present. The new inproved wider beach, now sporting 3 towers;) and in the process of enlargement a new bunker come command center appeared, which could house a very big gun if someone has a pic of one:) All the rest of that mortar mine stuff I will have to leave to someone else, just not my area, and would take to long to get into right now.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
/me likes the new beach :D

one thing I do like about the map is the somewhat linear nature.
for inf, that should keep the last player searching to a minimum.

my biggest worry is the spawn killing in games with respawns on. one sides enevitably starting in the boats.
two hmgs there and any respawning is somewhat pointless if your buddies dont succeed on the first try.

very realistic, but it wont be to novel after teh 10th time it happens to you.

Im wondering if theres a way the ued can place an invisible bullet proof wall halfway down the boat to the spawn area.
Its not exactly realistic, but it would give any spawning players at least a running start.