Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyharry

Jun 11, 2008
Massachusetts
a small example of the lack of free speech at Epic could be as simple as the post below being closed with on 2 replies asking what it meant ?

"I hope the new patch lands soon! New multiplayer mode called 'Greed' is sounding like a lotta fun....get them skulls! Oh and not to mention I hope the beserk mode makes the cut too...cuz my rank is waning like my interest in 1.3, im down to 1500ish buh! "

while this could have been locked because the cat was let out of the bag and it was the guys first post.... so my guess is this guys will be discouraged from posting very much. LOL

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
os][ris;2224545 said:
I haven't heard that one before lol.

But yes the negativity is old and boring and repetitive. People say the same thin over and over for years.

Because Epic insists on making the same problems over and over for years?

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
Most of all, I want the new expansion to be what Epic wants, NOT what the fans demand. Bowing to the fans' every wishes has had destructive effects before, and will only increase the community's selfish drive to demand anything they want, which will only increase the complaints and whining.

With that attitude, we will end up with a UT4 beta release all over again with lackluster sales.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I expect it to be free :) It's not a matter of hoping or wanting, it's just a feeling ...

It can't be free. It has to be a complete revamp and release like UT2004 was. If you put sprinkles on a turd, it's still a turd. UT3 is an unfinished pile of crap. The gameplay is good, yes, but it needs to be seriously overhauled. If they want to bring in new players, the game has to be a retail patch at the very least.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
It can't be free. It has to be a complete revamp and release like UT2004 was. If you put sprinkles on a turd, it's still a turd. UT3 is an unfinished pile of crap. The gameplay is good, yes, but it needs to be seriously overhauled.
What do you think that could work, besides the typical small features, bug fixing, enhanced UI, more maps, etc...?

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
If it ends up being another UT2004 then I won't buy it. I already paid more than enough for what turned out to be a payware beta version. Don't expect any miracles from this expansion or whatever they want to call it, you'll probably set yourself up for a disapointment.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If it ends up being another UT2004 then I won't buy it. I already paid more than enough for what turned out to be a payware beta version. Don't expect any miracles from this expansion or whatever they want to call it, you'll probably set yourself up for a disapointment.
If you bought UT2003 and then bought UT2004 and were satisfied, what are you whining about?

The fact of the matter is, if this is not big enough for a retail release, the series is screwed. I can't say I'd be sad if they ditched UT and went back to Unreal games, though.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
The fact of the matter is, if this is not big enough for a retail release, the series is screwed. I can't say I'd be sad if they ditched UT and went back to Unreal games, though.
They'd probably call it Unreal or War and the main character would be called Darkus and you'll have to face the Zhorde in a destroyed urban environment.

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
I don't get these people that are saying they wouldn't buy the UT3 expansion if it offered as much polish and content as UT2004 did. I think UT2004 was completely worth the money since it brought a vast amount of new content, fixes, and the content of UT2003; basically you were getting two games for the price of one plus a mail in rebate (If you owned UT2003). Anyways, built in IRC client for the UT3 expansion would be nice, but I highly doubt that would happen.

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
Well it would make sense to throw in all of the content from MSUC into the expansion and focus on the UI/GUI. Epic has most of their work cut out for them; they have been basically paying modders to create material with this contest, might as well put it all in the expansion.

All of the content is kind of spread out everywhere, so it would be nice to have it all in place and organized in the expansion. The amount of content available already from the contest would be enough to make the expansion a stand alone. I don't see why they wouldn't, I'm almost positive they will add some or a lot of this content that was released. There are atleast two worthy gametypes that have released.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
They could probably market an Unreal game for consoles very easily. Since they seem to be driven into action by consoles alone, maybe an Unreal game is on the way...?

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
I don't know, if I was Epic, I'd learn by now that UT/Unreal based games on consoles just don't sell well. They even said they like to focus the development of a game on one platform so it can be the best i can be. The UT/Unreal fan base is on the PC, not consoles.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I don't know, if I was Epic, I'd learn by now that UT/Unreal based games on consoles just don't sell well. They even said they like to focus the development of a game on one platform so it can be the best i can be. The UT/Unreal fan base is on the PC, not consoles.

Yeah but they're not listening now. Epic thinks their retirement cash lies in consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.