Best Operating System

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ASMDFreak

Aug 17, 2001
Visit site
Hi ,I run windows 98 and have ADSL internet connection ,every UT serevr I ping at 70-80 I play at 150 ..absolutely never below 150 .All of the quakes /half life etc play close to their Dos pings .I cannot understand why only UT plays at double the ping to the server .
I'm interested in hearing from anyone running newer operating systems than win 98 and whether they result in improved performance for broadband connections .People have said its CSHP causing the ping doubling but I am thinking it is O/S related because I am pinging really well to the server and only connecting causes the ping to double...I have also seen others with the same isp as me with pings 70 below mine ...any thoughts anyone ?

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
You know the difference between ping and latency?
And you also know the funtamental difference between HL's and UT's netcode?

The reason can be many things, from your modem, over the ISP to the phonelines and your distance to the local exchane point

ASMDFreak

Aug 17, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by optic_freeze
Well, wouldn't that depend on what modem you are using?

Yes I am using an Alcatel speed touch home modem,as does everyone on my isp ( they give it to us at sign up) .I also live close to the exchange (about 1/2 mile) .My phone line is good as well ,my ISP caps the max download at 64Kbyte/sec ,I average 63 which is much higher than others on my ISP .So what is the best operating system for Networking/Internet ? Advice appreciated ...