Possible to make players "light up" in a map?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
Hi. I want to make a map, that has almost no light in it. Instead, I want each player's model to be like dynamic lights, or moving light bulbs as they walk. Is this even possible? Or can I maybe let players be followed by dynamic lights instead of themselves lighting up?

Last edited:

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
I think it can be done... there was a UT99 map where, if a player went outside, the "snow-fall" would follow you around, until you went back inside.
I can't remember the name though, but hopefully this will jog someones memory ;)

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Definitely possible, but it will require at the least some amount of code stored in MyLevel. If you make a custom gametype as a subclass of the CTF gametype, then make a custom basemutator which subclasses the one CTFGame uses (probably DeathMatchPlus) and then edit that to make all playerpawns' LighType to LT_Steady and give them a radius/brightness/hue/etc, and then set your custom gametype to use your custom basemutator, then sure, it can be done! There might be a simpler, cleaner way to do this, though. Post in the Coding forum perhaps?

Probably easier to just use a mutator that does it ;) I think Eavy Darkmatch works in any gametype. Can someone confirm?

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
This CTF map I am making was intended for server play. On a server where, the CTF gametype would be original, not modified at all, without any mutators such as a DarkMatch mutator. So, I would somehow need to code the map itself, so it wouldn't screw up the other maps in the server.

My map in the server: The players have dynamic lights following them, lightening up the area around them.
The other maps in the server: Stay as normal where no dynamic light follows each player.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
If you want to maximize compatibility, the best way to do it is to use a mutator as suggested and then strongly recommend players use it when they play your map. That way, you don't force anyone to have lights applied to them when they play (who knows, some people might like having a pitch dark map with no player indicators!) and you don't have to worry about making any custom code. It sounds like the best, most flexible solution to me.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
But (I'm not doing this to be a dick I swear) not having to mess about with mod's and stuff in order to play a map as the author intended is something that increases map appeal and *re-playablity.

*All maps are playable, even the crap ones get played once, but to get re-played... ;)

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Good point. I bet there's a way to code an actor (in MyLevel of course) that automatically gets spawned and attached to PlayerPawns, then follows them around while emitting light.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
But (I'm not doing this to be a dick I swear) not having to mess about with mod's and stuff in order to play a map as the author intended is something that increases map appeal and *re-playablity.

*All maps are playable, even the crap ones get played once, but to get re-played... ;)

Agreed. Sometimes maps need to be played, the way the author intended them to be played.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
If Nali-City still worked I could find the "snowing" map for you... or was it raining? I'm sure that already has what you need.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I added a client side bit of code to make each player cast an ambient light around them, and this is controllable by the player via a mutate command. It's been a big hit in monsterhunt2, as so many of the maps have stupidly dark areas.

If you like you are welcome to grab the code (I always release source) or I can whip it into a simple server side mod for you to run alone. This mod here uses the actual code:
http://www.utsurvival.com/DevForum/showthread.php?84-LimeLightMod
but in MH2 there is no pickup, the light is always available to be turned off and on by the player and never runs out.

Oh, the download for MH2:
http://www.utsurvival.com/DevForum/showthread.php?154-MonsterHunt-2-release-thread
Source is included and the code you want is in base class, near the bottom in function mutate.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
If you make it work on your map then don't forget to kill the light when somebody gets their face shot in. :D

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I wanted to suggest making an inventory which turns the owner into emiting light, but I see there were already similar suggestions made, although I know exatcly how to do it, I've done such hacks in past without requiring mutator or gametype.