Tomb Raider clip

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site

From what I read, her voice, etc are just placeholders in these trailers, and won't be in the final game.

But even if this is the final cut, it does make sense if she is perceived to be as weak and emotional. After all, this is the second reboot of the series, and it is Lara's origin story. It is a far cry from the hardened Laras of the first two iterations.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I haven't touched a Tomb Raider game since TR2. Are any of the other ones any good? I know they've made like seven more since those days.

Yeah, Anniversary and Legend are the best new traditional Tomb Raider games. Underworld is also very good.

My personal favorite, however, is Guardian of Light... the isometric view and co-op, along with good puzzles and combat make for a really fun game.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Yeah, Anniversary and Legend are the best new traditional Tomb Raider games. Underworld is also very good.

My personal favorite, however, is Guardian of Light... the isometric view and co-op, along with good puzzles and combat make for a really fun game.

Thanks hal, I'll give those a go. I've been looking for something to fill my time between work and DayZ :D

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
The weird thing about the first reboot is that they are released in order of Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld, while chronologically, they are Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld. If you want to play them chronologically, that's fine with me, but I would recommend playing them as they were released. Anniversary is a nice break in the action between the other two, and each release builds on and refines the gaming mechanics of the previous games.

Edit: I hope in this reboot, Natla will return.

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Holy sh*t. This looks good. Like Uncharted good. But there's a big diff between cut scenes and actual gameplay. Please be awesome. Please be awesome.

Could this possibly be rated M??

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Less than 2 weeks to go!

Really looking forward to this one.

M-rated, cursing, brutal deaths (latest gameplay shows Lara being impaled by a metal pole through her skull), what's not to love?

The gameplay clips look a bit linear so I do hope that there's a bit more exploration than they show. But you know what, the Uncharted series is linear and those are some of the best games of all time.

I have a lot of high hopes for this one. It was an easy pre-purchase for me.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
A person playing Tomb Raider today probably wouldn't think much of it. But back in 1996 it was legendary. Aside from Mario 64, it pretty much redefined 3D platforming. That was one of the best Christmas's of my life just because of that game.

So a large part of the excitement for me stems from the nostalgia and memories of the old games. And the fact that the new one is taking a more "Uncharted" approach excites the f*ck out of me.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
You had to be around when Tomb Raider first came out to appreciate how incredible the game was.
I purchased mine with a Sega Saturn and it was jaw-dropping to say the least.
It ranks as my all time favourite game.
The later Tomb Raiders lost a little of the magic and atmosphere the original had.
Definitely redefined 3D platforming though.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
You had to be around when Tomb Raider first came out to appreciate how incredible the game was.

This. Tomb Raider was a game that came out at about the same time as Quake. If you were to play a game that was just Quake now, you'd deride it as overly simplistic, bland and boring - but at the time it was incredible, especially compared to games like Quake. Tomb Raider had fairly involved game mechanics, a decent plot and really made use of 3d.

It also looked amazing visually.
Tomb_Raider_Tomb_of_Qualopec.png

Definitely redefined 3D platforming though.

It didn't redefine it, as there was nothing even defined yet. It was the first game in it's genre and it was different to other platformers in that it had fairly mature content and was much more involved. The game encouraged exploration inside the environment rather than simply presenting a series of obstacles to overcome. Games like Crash Bandicoot and Mario 64 came out at around the same time; they were contemporaries.

Tomb Raider's are just platform shooters with puzzle elements, right?

It was the platform shooter. It's also more of an exploration-puzzler with combat; the emphasis was always the other way around.

Last edited: