Latency

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
I'm wondering why I ping so high on f6 but on f1 I ping lower, here is a screen shot

i ran a trace route and its agreeing with my f1 ping

I know f6 is usually higher but I found it weird that its constantly showing 40 ping. Is f6 inaccurate?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Ping depends on how exactly you measure it. Generally it checks the response time, but obviously that time depends on the amount of data transfered (because transfer takes time itself), when exactly the time is taken (the engine doesn't immediately answer a ping, but does so within more or less fixed time intervals).

DOS ping is determined via ICMP Echo, a dedicated protocol for bouncing data back to the sender. As such it immediately responds and the sender (your PC) can immediately check the time between sending and receiving the data.

UT ping is based on round-trip times of the game traffic, which is send via UDP packets. Obviously game data usually is more than just 32 bytes (DOS ping's default data size), so it already takes much longer to travel to the server and back. As hinted above already, UT servers and clients update the game state in discrete intervals. For the server this is dictated by the tickrate (a tick = one update of the entire game state, tickrate = number of updates per second), clientsidely by the framerate (each rendered frame is preceded by exactly one game state update). Ping time is in milliseconds, so 91 is a bit less than 0.01 seconds, which is the time between two frames at 100 frames/sec.
Servers usually run at a much lower tickrate (mostly 30 to 45), and pings could be calculated as client->server->client or as server->client->server. Ping could also be averaged, there may be attempts to filter out systematic errors, like the time between ticks.

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
Thanks. I had a hard time understanding that, you explained it well it's just a bit too technical for my knowledge. People say my ping is good on the server but I disagree because of the 91 in f6. I think that server has my ping bugged, months ago I used to get around 75 on f1.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Don't let numbers on a screen ruin your gaming experience. Did you actually feel a difference? If not, then try playing without all those ping displays. And if yes, then try playing without all those ping displays.

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
I really don't care if I ping high or not I was just curious to know which one to trust.